Thursday Inspiration — I Am an Island

D640B71B-D861-4293-990E-F68C6A3AE225They say no man is an island, but I sure feel like one these days. The entire San Francisco Bay Area is under a mandatory “shelter in place” order, and we’re told to stay at home except for essential needs such as groceries.

So thanks to the coronavirus…

I am alone
Gazing from my window to the streets below
Hiding in my room, safe within my womb

I touch no one and no one touches me
I am a rock
I am an island

Written for Paula Light’s Thursday Inspiration prompt.

16 thoughts on “Thursday Inspiration — I Am an Island

1. Sadje March 19, 2020 / 1:14 pm

I think we all know how this feels. At least you’re safe.

2. tkbrownwriter March 19, 2020 / 1:42 pm

One of my favorite songs! It does fit today’s situation. We must all be islands for the time being. Otherwise we may not be here to see the next chapter of our lives. God Bless!

• newepicauthor March 20, 2020 / 5:47 am

Thanks for asking. I still have this cough, or it is just more like a scratchy throat, but nothing really to complain about. Last week I had to stay in a motel because I had new floors put in and the work is almost over now, so life is sort of returning to normal. My dentist canceled my upcoming appointment, but it looks like my cataract surgery is still scheduled for next Thursday. I really don’t mind the social distancing, as I enjoy sitting all by myself and writing all day anyway. Mow about you, are you settled into your new home yet?

• Fandango March 20, 2020 / 10:26 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better. We’re mostly settled in. We still haven’t hung any pictures and we’re getting used to the new layout. I’ve cut way down on my posts each day and not responding to very many prompts these days. I hope maybe I’ll get back into it as the weeks go on. I have decided to do the A to Z Challenge. I wasn’t going to, but now that we must stay at home, why not?

• newepicauthor March 20, 2020 / 10:48 am

I wrote A is for Allman Brothers and I am working on B is for the Band now. I hope you enjoy reading long posts, as I found a lot of information on these first two groups, perhaps I should not have picked such an ambitious project.

• Fandango March 20, 2020 / 11:19 pm

Oh Jim, you know how much I enjoy reading long posts! 🙄

3. Melanie B Cee March 20, 2020 / 11:03 am

Great song choice! I thought of that one myself, but went with Buffalo Springfield instead. We’re all rocks and islands… I’m glad I got a bridge to your island though. I promise to bring hand sanitizer and wear a medical mask if I visit! 😛

4. animar64 March 20, 2020 / 11:28 am

I’m a loner. It’s just me and my dog. Sad thing is, I don’t feel isolated. Maybe I need to get out more when this is over.

• Fandango March 20, 2020 / 11:31 pm

I’ve learned over the years that there is a big difference between being alone and being lonely.

5. Marleen March 20, 2020 / 7:10 pm

This song always reminds me of a particular school I attended, for third through sixth grades. I hadn’t heard the song anywhere outside of school, and a teacher played it for a class (during sixth grade I’m pretty sure).