Share Your World — Irish Edition

Share Your WorldToday Melanie has given us two Share Your World prompts, one that focuses on Saint Patrick’s Day, and the other that has more provocative questions.

I’m neither Irish nor Catholic and I don’t know much about Saint Patrick’s Day, other than it’s a good excuse to drink green beer and to get shitfaced. But, as they say, we’re all Irish on Saint Patrick’s Day, so here goes nothing.

Saint Patrick’s Day questions:

Saint Patrick’s actual color was not green. Was it red, orange or blue?

I have no clue.

Was Saint Patrick born in Ireland, Britain, or France?

I have no clue.

How old was Saint Patrick when he was taken as a slave? 10, 13, or 16?

I have no clue.

Why is Saint Patrick’s Day celebrated on the 17th? Was it the day he was born, the day he died, or the day he got the title “Saint”?

I have no clue.

Is Saint Patrick’s Day always, usually, or never held on the same date?

I have no clue.

What did Saint Patrick use to symbolize something for Christianity? Was it a stick, a shamrock, or a bird?

I have no clue.

What city turns a river green every year to celebrate? Is it Detroit, Chicago, or Green Bay, U.S.A.?

I do know the answer to this, since I used to live there: Chicago.

Which year was the first St. Patrick’s Day parade (in America) held?

I have no clue.

Which US president was of Irish descent and forgot it was Saint Patrick’s Day?

JFK?

Is corned beef and cabbage is a traditional Saint Patrick’s Day dish?

I have no clue.

True or False: The shamrock is the national flower of Ireland.

I have no clue.

Where was Saint Patrick buried after he died? Britain, Ireland, or France?

I have no clue.

Two of the three colors on the Irish flag are green and white.  What is the third one?

Let me guess. Orange?67BE4F96-E307-4DE3-99BE-5DA1E504EC1D

True or False: Saint Patrick was not actually a Saint.

I have no clue.

What do leprechauns use their sticks, called “shillelagh” for? Accessing their rainbow, turning invisible, or making their magic pot of gold appear?

Which is not true?

• Lent restrictions are dropped on Saint Patrick’s Day.
  • Irish soap was invented in Ireland.
  • Saint Patrick’s real name was Maewyn Succat.

I have no clue.

What’s the traditional occupation of a leprechaun? Thief, shoemaker, or banker?

I think they’re supposed to be mischievous, so let’s go with thief.

Okay, now for Melanie’s more provocative questions.

What harsh truths do you prefer to ignore?

I have no clue.

Okay, just kidding. The real answer is that I prefer not to ignore the truth, no matter how harsh it may be.

Is free will real or just an illusion?

Free will is defined as the power or capacity to choose among alternatives or to act in certain situations independently of natural, social, or divine restraints. I believe in free will. I don’t believe in fate or predetermination. I believe the decisions I make are my own choices. Of course, some decisions are impacted by external factors, like my decision to go to the grocery store today to buy some rolls of toilet paper and finding that the store’s shelves have no toilet paper, no tissues, and not even any paper towels. This is the only time in my life that I’m hoping to be constipated.

What is the meaning of true love?

I’m a rather selfish person, but to me, true love is when you care about someone else more than you care about yourself.

21 thoughts on “Share Your World — Irish Edition

1. Marilyn Armstrong March 16, 2020 / 2:24 pm

I was also clueless about St. Patrick who I think WAS a Saint, but was de-sainted a few years ago. Maybe more than a few years ago. I lose track of time.

• Melanie B Cee March 17, 2020 / 10:46 am

I’m curious about that myself. Marilyn? (perhaps St. Patrick dropped his shillelagh on the Pope’s foot? :P) (sorry…a bit of bad humor on my part)… O_o

• Marleen March 17, 2020 / 11:43 am

You know what I thought was odd, that I heard, recently? Someone is declared (or whatever the word is) “a saint” if, among other definers, there are three bonafide miracles in that person’s name — that occur after the person is dead.

• Marleen March 17, 2020 / 1:44 pm

“In March of 1601, St. Augustine’s residents gathered together and processed through the city’s streets in honor of an Irish saint, who appears to have assumed a privileged place in the Spanish garrison town. Indeed, during these same years, St. Patrick was identified as the official ‘protector’ of the city’s maize fields.”

The professor and Chair of the Department of History and Politics at the University of South Florida, St. Petersburg, has studied the records on and off over the past 30 years and he was certainly surprised to discover this information on a St Patrick’s Day celebration written in Spanish in Florida.

“It was certainly a surprise … it did not register the first time I looked through it. … It was written in Spanish, and it took a few seconds before it actually hit me that this was a St. Patrick’s Day parade/procession,” Francis explained to Renee Unsworth from totallystaugustine.com.

“I don’t know how much it will change the national perception (of St. Patrick’s Day) which has evolved into something so unique. … It certainly forces people to pause.”

………….

• Marleen March 17, 2020 / 1:49 pm

When Was the First St. Patrick’s Day Celebrated?

Since around the ninth or 10th century, people in Ireland have been observing the Roman Catholic feast day of St. Patrick on March 17. The first St. Patrick’s Day parade took place not in Ireland but in America. Records show that a St. Patrick’s Day parade was held on March 17, 1601 in a Spanish colony in what is now St. Augustine, Florida. The parade, and a St. Patrick’s Day celebration a year earlier were organized by the Spanish Colony’s Irish vicar Ricardo Artur.

More than a century later, homesick Irish soldiers serving in the English military marched in New York City on March 17, 1772 to honor the Irish patron saint. …

• Marleen March 17, 2020 / 3:50 pm

There’s quite a bit of history here (most of which I’m not quoting). Interesting… even though there is conflicting information, as compared to the other two sites, that is not resolved.

Roots of the Parade In Colonial America

According to legend, the earliest celebration of the holiday in America took place in Boston in 1737, when colonists of Irish descent marked the event with a modest parade.

According to a book on the history of St. Patrick’s Day published in 1902 by John Daniel Crimmins, a New York businessman, the Irish who gathered in Boston in 1737 formed the Charitable Irish Society. The organization comprised Irish merchants and tradesmen of Irish of the Protestant faith. The religious restriction was relaxed and Catholics began to join in the 1740s.

…………….

The Modern St. Patrick’s Day Parade Emerged

In 1891 the Ancient Order of Hibernians adopted the familiar parade route, the march up Fifth Avenue, which it still follows today. And other practices, such as the banning of wagons and floats, also became standard. The parade as it exists today is essentially the same as it would have been in the 1890s, with many thousands of people marching, accompanied by bagpipe bands [originating with British and Scottish armies]* as well as brass bands.

St. Patrick’s Day is also marked in other American cities, with large parades being staged in Boston, Chicago, Savannah, and elsewhere. And the concept of the St. Patrick’s Day parade has been exported back to Ireland: Dublin began its own St. Patrick’s Day festival in the mid-1990s, and its flashy parade, which is noted for large and colorful puppet-like characters, draws hundreds of thousands of spectators every March 17th.

* I read this at one if the sites I have cited today.

2. Sadje March 16, 2020 / 3:05 pm

The last one was the best. The first st set was hilarious.

• Fandango March 16, 2020 / 10:42 pm

I suppose that’s better than being out-of-sync on all questions!

3. Melanie B Cee March 17, 2020 / 10:48 am

Thanks Fandango for playing along with both SYW versions this week! Even if you only had two clues….. (good job on those quiz answers btw…I never did say that cheating wasn’t acceptable, now did I?) 😉

• Marleen March 17, 2020 / 3:56 pm

I’m doing this instead of keeping up with Covid-19 news today. I appreciate the diversion.

4. Marleen March 17, 2020 / 12:51 pm

I have a guess on what the “shillelagh” are used for?

Ah, I see it’s among the choices:

Accessing their rainbow, turning invisible, or making their magic pot of gold appear?

To disappear.

5. leigha66 March 19, 2020 / 12:15 am

Too funny… but in all honesty I would have no idea either on most of them.

6. Carol Anne March 19, 2020 / 9:41 am

I’m irish and I dont know half of the answers to those st. patricks day questions! 😛