Damn You, Coronavirus!

As a septuagenarian, which makes me a member of a high risk group, I have been very diligent when it comes to dealing with the threat of the coronavirus pandemic. I wash my hands for 20 seconds throughout the day. I avoid going anywhere where large crowds may congregate. I give fist bumps rather than hand shakes when I meet and greet other people. I maintain a proper degree of “social distance” between myself and others.

So imagine my shock and dismay today when I walked into my local Safeway and saw this:8FEF7C83-D063-4D85-8CE7-2C7046E02853Yes, that’s right. Not a single pint of Ben & Jerry’s ice cream to be found. Not even my beloved Stephen Colbert’s Americone Dream!

Okay, a run on toilet paper is one thing. Price gouging on hand sanitizers is another thing. A shortage of face masks, sure. But a run on Ben & Jerry’s ice cream? WTF?

That’s the straw that broke the camel’s back. I’m going to call Mike Pence and tattle on you, COVID-19. You’ll be sorry.

53 thoughts on “Damn You, Coronavirus!

1. Sadje March 12, 2020 / 4:40 pm

Yup! That’s going to help you a lot!!! 😱😂

2. oneletterup March 12, 2020 / 4:47 pm

Such craziness for sure! Well…it IS comfort food – and we can all use that these days. Good luck with that phone call.

3. slmret March 12, 2020 / 5:10 pm

We can’t iive without Ben & Jerry’s for 2 weeks! Actually I have 3 pints of B-R ice cream that I bought on sale about a month ago — guess I’d better ration that!

4. isaiah46ministries March 12, 2020 / 5:10 pm

Boy, did I need to laugh. Thanks. My husband just called to say he will be later than expected going for toilet paper. The lines are insane, and if he don’t get it today and lots of dry beans, there won’t be anything there tomorrow! I am gobsmacked at what’s happening.

• Fandango March 12, 2020 / 10:59 pm

This has turned into a real crisis! No Ben & Jerry’s? Unthinkable!

5. Lolsy's Library March 12, 2020 / 5:44 pm

Oh my god! I have to go food shopping after work today, they’d better have my favourite ice-cream!

6. Tiffany March 12, 2020 / 6:51 pm

😆 meanwhile, once this all settles down, but will go back to normal. Not washing hands, leaving Ben & Jerry’s on shelves or worst dumping them in trash because they overstock on it at home. And airports will be filled with people sneezing and coughing on everyone. Crowds will be the same.

7. blindzanygirl March 12, 2020 / 7:05 pm

OMG Total catastrophe.

8. Marilyn Armstrong March 12, 2020 / 7:41 pm

Garry went shopping today and money that normally feed us for a week and a bit didn’t make even one whole week. No TP at all. Owen said that his groceries cost TWICE what they did last week. No price gouging, eh?

• Fandango March 12, 2020 / 11:02 pm

Well, somebody’s gotta profit from this, right?

9. slmret March 12, 2020 / 7:43 pm

I just spoke with a friend who owns a building housing an appliance store — stoves, refrigerators, washers and dryers, etc. When he asked how business is going, the response was “I wish we had more deep freezers.” They had sold all the freezers they had, and the last 5 calls were people looking for freezers!

• Fandango March 12, 2020 / 11:03 pm

I’m not surprised. And I think it’s going to get worse.

• Fandango March 12, 2020 / 11:07 pm

Yeah, tell me about it. But no doubt Mike Pence will take care of it.

• Christine Bolton March 13, 2020 / 6:01 am

You know it’s funny, he came to Sarasota for a private fundraiser dinner a few weeks ago and right after he left we had our first corona virus and the Governor declared a state of emergency in Florida 😕 Thanks Pence

10. latenyte March 12, 2020 / 9:23 pm

Did you notice the sale? B&R 2.99 a pint and 3.38 a pint for Hagen das. I only know cause I stocked up at safeway last night. Mine had B&J, sorry…

11. CARAMEL March 13, 2020 / 5:04 am

😀 There was a report here that there has been a sudden increase in buying freezers. I couldn’t understand why. It must be all those people stocking up on your ice-cream to get them through self-isolation.

12. RuthScribbles March 13, 2020 / 10:49 am

Oh man!! I’ve been craving ice cream. Must be the comfort good of being locked in- (I’m 67 and my allergies are so bad that I feel sick)

13. leigha66 March 16, 2020 / 12:14 am

No Ben and Jerry’s… that’s insane! Absurd! Ridiculous! How dare they!

14. nmartinez1938 March 31, 2020 / 11:06 am

How quickly we disregard the wellbeing of others. It has just been proven to the elite doers of evil – the mass of people are now under our panic control. Very sad, but true.

I’m a senior citizen of 81 years 9 months . My blog name speaks to what I share online; Viruses Dead End Here And Much More. To counter the high volume of panic news, I’ve posted a most encouraging video explaining; “People don’t die of influenza, they die of chronic vitamin C deficiency – view and save lives now https://wp.me/p2VBZ8-35X

• Marleen March 31, 2020 / 1:12 pm

Ha! I was just thinking of sharing that since I don’t have fresh greens to eat, right now, I’m taking extra vitamin A. Plus a multivitamin and extra E, and lutein and zeaxanthin (the latter two of which I try to supplement each day anyway).

• nmartinez1938 March 31, 2020 / 6:28 pm

You are fortunate to be in tune with nutritional alternatives which empower your bodies immune system. Keep up the good works, and keep sharing – so many doubt the truth of the power now being shown, especially since contemporary medicine is failing.

15. mrmhf April 1, 2020 / 12:08 am

In the UK, the freezers are still full of ice cream. Funny post.

16. nmartinez1938 April 1, 2020 / 12:02 pm

Thanks for the likes. This posting may be a greater shock to all, far beyond or equal to empty shelves in food stores; “Where have all the people gone”; a long time standing?
    https://wp.me/p2VBZ8-36C – hint; there are no long lines for testing in NYC, see the video for yourself.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 1:17 pm

There are hardly any tests available… in a country supposedly so rich… with a president supposedly so capable. One of my sons went for a test after being notified of contact with a confirmed case. They told him to come back when he was on his death bed. That’s not hyperbole on my part; I’m not making it up. Now, if he had spoken to me before heading out to get a test, I would’ve told him there are few-to-no tests and no treatment anyway. Forget about it.

• nmartinez1938 April 1, 2020 / 8:10 pm

There’s a lot of deadly game playing going on, and one, whenever, it will be exposed.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 10:10 pm

There is, indeed. And the stakes for higher, today. The news station I was watching during the president’s presser, today, cut out of it for a while (which they haven’t done before as far as I’ve seen). I’m guessing it was because he started showing signs that he wants to start a war (one they’ve been gunning after for over a year in one way after another) as an electability insurance policy — when the topics were supposed to be about coronavirus. He’s warned us, people aren’t praising him enough. And his ego is voracious.

The son I mentioned had already been working from home, to be safe. But his work wanted anyone exposed to a confirmed case to go get a test (not sure why, just policy). It probably wouldn’t have mattered what I would’ve said if I’d known the plan ahead of time. Anyway, he’s not exposing anyone else… except there’s a renter at the house he and I own (where he lives). We don’t know if either of them is exposing the other. The renter lost his job and asked if he could stay. My son told him yes, but that he can’t have company.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 10:36 pm

It is, because we could’ve kept the number of cases (and deaths) down if we’d been testing carefully and tracing contacts from the start.

17. Marleen April 1, 2020 / 9:07 pm

I’m going to hazard a guess that some aspect of my online information or name has just (in the last hour) been stolen, as it’s not functioning on this site like it was.

• Marleen April 1, 2020 / 9:50 pm

Well, it worked right when I went ahead and posted as a test. Sigh. Some weird automatic software update?

• Fandango April 1, 2020 / 10:45 pm

What happened that makes you say that? Is someone posting comments under your name?

• Marleen April 27, 2020 / 12:56 am

No. The function or form was just acting bizarre at the time. Thank you for asking; sorry I missed this earlier. Anyway, things were back to normal the next day.

18. Shweta Suresh April 26, 2020 / 10:34 pm

Well, that must suck. I’ve been craving for some ice cream too and it’s out of stock everywhere. ☹️