What’s In YOUR Junk Drawer?

Do you have a “junk drawer” in your kitchen? We do. And almost everyone I know does, too.5DF5D80A-0FA5-4B0F-B2AC-306EED2996C4The photo above is of our kitchen junk drawer. There are two screwdrivers, a Sharpie, a pipe wrench, two retractable tape measures, a box cutter, some batteries, a local yellow pages book, a few menus, a pair of scissors, a few manuals for appliances, some cloth towels, eyeglass cleaners, some USB cables, and some small tissue packets.

So, your assignment, if you choose to accept it, is to take a picture of your kitchen junk drawer and post it on your blog, or include it in a comment attached to this post. Don’t cheat and straighten it out or make it look neat and tidy. Just pull open the drawer and take a picture of it as is.

As Samuel L. Jackson always says, “What’s in your wallet kitchen junk drawer?”

14 thoughts on “What’s In YOUR Junk Drawer?

1. rugby843 March 11, 2020 / 10:51 am

In our old house in CO the kitchen drawers were either extremely deep or really shallow. The deep ones turned into huge junk drawers with tools, utensils, nails, paper clips and even cookie cutters. When I moved here, those drawers were dumped into boxes and I have no idea what’s in them, now all in a storage unit. But if I needed anything back then, could always find it in one of those big drawers.😄

2. Marleen March 11, 2020 / 11:27 am

I’d say I have a few “junk” drawers that are somewhat different from each other. (I don’t know how to put pictures into my post.) One (a relatively small drawer next to the sink) has a lime press and a lemon press, a seed strainer, more than one size of scissors, more than one utility knife, more than one blade for cleaning surfaces, water-resistant lubricant for things like a coffeemaker, a descaling product for an espresso machine, a product lid matched to no container, a cigar cutter, a brush for dusting a corn meal grinder, a dusting shammy (or chamois), a thing like a pipe cleaner but bigger and made of wire and plastic, a somewhat hefty spring for who knows what, a clean kitchen sink stopper, and a measuring device for zero water (to decide when to replace the filter).

• Marleen March 11, 2020 / 12:46 pm

Some things, like batteries, packaging tape, cellophane tape, measuring tapes, magic markers and colored pencils, a ruler, that could normally be in a junk drawer, are in boxes in a cabinet in an office.

• Marleen March 12, 2020 / 1:02 pm

Another junk drawer description, the largest drawer in my kitchen (about a two-foot wide interior, almost square but not quite as many inches to the back, and a few inches deep): upon opening the drawer, all one can see is multiples of plastic-wrapped utensils… some including napkins, plus a few napkins not in wrapping. Actually, one difference is a stack of yellow corn cob holding dishes and corn cob skewers. The only other exception is a few red dots, where catsup packets peek through. I’ve been meaning to take the plastic-wrapped utensils out of there; it’s getting to where the drawer is barely openable and closable.

I’ve now filled a plastic Target bag with all of those and removed the unused napkins, too. Underneath are metal separating baskets with lots of different-sized, wrapped straws and some unwrapped straws, a few for travel cups, in one section, along with some unwrapped plastic utensils; many individual hand wipes (which arrived here along with all the wrapped utensils) in a long and narrow basket; numerous extra stainless steel spoons for coffee, hot cocoa, and tea in a shorter one. The baskets don’t take up most of the space in the drawer. There aren’t any tools that aren’t at least kitchen-like. But there are odds and ends.

There’s one of those camping sets where a fork, knife, and spoon hook together. Theres a long, clear-plastic container-looking thing with many narrow slots (I think for holding fruit in the center of a pitcher for water or iced tea). There’s one plastic (take-out) serving tong. There’s a large packet of a chile pepper paste. There are shiny, silver twist-ties, a couple of red ribbons, a chip-bag clip with a magnetic side, a red drink umbrella, two packets of different sorts of birthday candles, a round rubber jar/bottle opening assistant, oh, and a hook — like for a hanging plant — with a screw-in end…

So we’re approaching, and arriving at, things that don’t necessarily go with a kitchen… a case with sunglasses for a visitor who might need them, eight unopened tubes (in two scents) of natural lip balm.

I now have space in a drawer.

3. slmret March 11, 2020 / 12:13 pm

It didn’t take long for that drawer to become a junk drawer — or is that from your SF home?

• Fandango March 11, 2020 / 9:59 pm

No, that’s at the new place. The drawer quickly filled up as we were unpacking boxes and I asked my wife, “Where should I put this?” And she’d respond, “Just put it in the junk drawer for now.”

4. Marilyn Armstrong March 12, 2020 / 11:14 am

I’m so tired, I may shut down for a while. I don’t have the virus, but i’m not doing well otherwise. i’m exhausted. The antibiotics worked and I finally seem to be rid of my sinus infection, but all the drugs I’ve been taking have made me pretty sick. I take a lot of medication anyway, most of it for blood pressure and the rest for pain and when you add four more drugs, everything gets pretty crazy. So I’m not getting much sleep and none of the groceries around here deliver. The drug stores don’t deliver either. As a matter of fact, even the pizza joints don’t deliver. So regardless, we have to go out and buy the things we need.

• Fandango March 12, 2020 / 5:29 pm

Get the rest you need, Marilyn. I hope you feel better.

• Fandango March 16, 2020 / 10:30 pm

Then you are truly unique, because everyone else I know has at least one.