Fandango’s Provocative Question #60

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

This week I decided to get personal and ask a question that may not be provocative, but if you take the time to answer it and also read how others answered it, you might find it interesting.

How did you meet your spouse, boyfriend/girlfriend, or significant other?

In the event that you’re not currently married or in a “meaningful relationship,” please answer the question about your most recent (or most significant) relationship. And if you’ve never been in such a relationship, perhaps you can write a story about how you would envision meeting such a person.

(For what it’s worth, my wife of 42 years and I met on a blind date 44 years ago — a “fix up” by my older sister and her husband.)

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments. But remember to check to confirm that your pingback or your link shows up in the comments.

19 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #60

1. Irene March 11, 2020 / 8:26 am

Pretty standard for me; my husband and I met in grad school, about 30 years ago, and we have been married for almost 25.

• Fandango March 11, 2020 / 7:29 pm

You win the award for the best response!

• Fandango March 11, 2020 / 9:57 pm

I bet a lot of couples met at work.

2. Marleen March 11, 2020 / 2:53 pm

I met the person I married via my mother… and his mother. Our mothers met at a conference in Kansas City, Missouri — while they both lived in St. Louis (about five minutes from each other), but hadn’t met before. My mother hadn’t allowed me to date for most of high school. When I was old enough that it would’ve seemed too bizarre for her not to permit me to date, she freaked out and started manipulating who I would date. (What I had not known, as she kept it well-hidden, was that her approach to parenting was to freak out. One example is that I went to a private school. But I had misconstrued the reason; I’d thought it was because of a desire for a high quality education in preparation for college. She had a four-year degree.)

3. Marleen March 11, 2020 / 9:45 pm

This has turned out to be a great question, Fandango. I’ve enjoyed reading the stories. (As well as the brief answers.)

• Fandango March 11, 2020 / 10:45 pm

It did, didn’t it. I was actually conflicted about using it as a “provocative” question, but I’m glad I decided to go with it and that people embraced it. Like you, I really enjoyed reading the responses.