Share Your World — Dispositions and Accents

Share Your WorldIn this week’s Share Your World, Melanie wants to know about our dispositions, our take on the coronavirus, our snoopiness, and our favorite accents.

Are you a sweet, sour, tangy, or other type of person? Take that as you will! 😉

I’ve been all four at different times, but today, with the Dow industrials down another 2,000 points and my retirement nest egg disintegrating right before my eyes, I’m pretty sour.77963D98-80B8-47F4-B01A-0AA459BD96C8

Does the whole coronavirus phenomenon worry you? Or are you more a “meh – it’s just another severe flu scare” type of person?

To quote Charles Dickens, “It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of light, it was the season of darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair.” I think right now we are experiencing the worst of times.

I am of the opinion that the threat of the coronavirus is real. I’m not an expert and I don’t know if the disease will be as bad as some of the prognosticators are saying it might be. But the worst part of this whole mess is the totally inept manner in which Donald Trump and the Trump Administration are “managing” it. They’re not trying to manage the spread of the coronavirus itself, they’re only trying to manage the messaging about the coronavirus. And it’s not working.

When was the last time you were snooping, and found something you wish you hadn’t?

I’m ashamed to say that I once followed a girl that I was dating one night when she told me she had to study for an exam and found her at a bar kissing another guy. Needless to say, that ended our relationship.

What’s the most pleasant sounding accent in your personal opinion? Everyone has a pleasing accent to someone!

I suppose, if I had to choose one accent that I find most pleasant sounding it would be a French accent. Très sexy, oui?

24 thoughts on “Share Your World — Dispositions and Accents

1. Sadje March 9, 2020 / 4:15 pm

I found the best advice they had to give was not to go on a cruise ship, was very lame.

2. anotherday2paradise March 9, 2020 / 5:54 pm

I so agree with you. Totally inept at managing any crisis and the Corona virus is no exception. I also like the French accent, but the Irish is a close second for me.

3. Marilyn Armstrong March 9, 2020 / 10:55 pm

I think people our age are the likely victims of this disease. This “meh” attitude scares the hell out of me. I would not survive it and probably neither would Garry. I’ve had too much heart surgery and he’s getting on in years. We don’t even have tests here in the valley. Our major medical centers in Boston don’t have tests. So no one knows what’s going on because no one is getting tested.

It’s my 73rd birthday Wednesday. i’d like to make it to 74.

• Fandango March 9, 2020 / 11:12 pm

Happy birthday on Wednesday, Marilyn. Yep, it’s septuagenarians like us, and the octogenarians as well, who are most at risk. I heard tonight that the CDC wanted to warn older people not to fly, but the White House spiked that warning. 😡

• Marleen March 10, 2020 / 4:35 am

I wish you a happy, approaching, 73rd birthday, too. May we all get through this next year without too much trouble.

4. Stroke Survivor UK March 10, 2020 / 12:33 am

It will be interesting to see how Corona affects the debate over there about public healthcare, which you’ve touched on a few times.

• Marleen March 10, 2020 / 4:23 am

Biden responded to that question in an interview, last night. He said it would’ve been covered under the ACA, which Trump has been hollowing out and undermining and fighting in court. But there’s also (as Joe answered too) the question of a competent leader/administration making plans to meet an extra-challenging situation… training more people and so on. This was, in part, a response to Bernie having said (as mentioned in the interviewer’s question) that Covid-19 is a case showing the need to implement Medicare-for-All. Biden likes the “Public Option” route. And… I am reminded of Reagan speaking of stopping hitting yourself in the head with a hammer. Donald Trump is a hammer of which we need to rid ourselves.

• Stroke Survivor UK March 10, 2020 / 4:43 am

If it were me, I’d wait until the outbreak is over, then tot up those who did have insurance (and were treated) against those who didn’t/weren’t. I think making judgementsat this point is premature.

I’m wondering now whether there will ever be any numbers that we can use reliably, because presumably if people aren’t treated, and they subsequently recover, there won’t be any records?

• Fandango March 10, 2020 / 8:15 am

True. Some people who have the virus have relatively minor symptoms and will not get tested. So we may never know for sure how widespread it actually is.

• Stroke Survivor UK March 10, 2020 / 10:49 am

I assume it will be the same here. It is just hundreds here now, so every case counts, but soon it will be thousands and I guess not long after that they’ll just stop counting.

• Marleen March 10, 2020 / 10:10 am

I have excellent insurance. But I’m imagining it won’t hit me very hard if at all, and I won’t go to a doctor or hospital. There are hardly any tests around, anyway.

I went to try and find a clip of a guest host on Rachel Maddow’s show who shared a story of a nurse who thought she was exposed to the virus. I can’t find the clip, as the show’s website layout is different from how it used to be. The nurse contacted the CDC (under Trump/Pence leadership) to find out how she could be tested. She was told there wasn’t a test available and that she wouldn’t need one if she had only been protecting herself properly. This is the tisk-tisk mentality shown by people like Pence (such as when he was governor).

I ran across these other pieces while looking, though:

• Marleen March 10, 2020 / 11:12 am

Here is the story I referred to, but from a different show (All In with Chris Hayes). This presentation is actually better, as it has a nurse reading the letter.

Quarantined nurse raises alarms over being denied coronavirus test

• Stroke Survivor UK March 10, 2020 / 11:33 am

I got that link. So this would have the effect of suppressing the number – I guess they have done that more than once. So I wonder if we’re headed for some future claim that you guys “escaped” the virus because of Trump’s actions?

On a separate note, do you know what one of these tests is? I haven’t managed to find out. Is it a guy staring into a microscope, at a blood sample?

• Marleen March 10, 2020 / 12:00 pm

One part of it, at least, they say, is similar to a test for strep throat. I don’t remember if there is anything else to it other than the person taking the culture wearing protective gear so they don’t get sick from the patient, who is likely to cough in response to the swab in the throat.

• Marleen March 10, 2020 / 12:05 pm

Oh… I’ve also heard it mentioned that particular packaging is required to send the culture to a place to figure it out. Apparently, there aren’t large supplies of that either.

• Marleen March 11, 2020 / 6:07 pm

New information: There is a way to do the test that has been approved for other tests but will soon be finalized for Covid-19. The test/the culture can be put in a specially-designed box for an hour or two and not shipped off somewhere… and a verdict will be displayed.

• Fandango March 11, 2020 / 10:35 pm

I just heard about that.

• Fandango March 10, 2020 / 8:10 am

Healthcare is a big topic, so you’re right, it will be interesting to see how the virus impacts that topic.

5. Melanie B Cee March 10, 2020 / 1:58 pm

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! I think down playing the potential severity of CO whatever virus thingie is a really stupid way to go about it, but living in extreme fear doesn’t do the job either. “They” (the medical professionals) don’t know enough yet to do anything much. Using common sense (which you and Marilyn have in abundance) is the best way of combating the thing in my opinion. I’m not at as high a risk as you guys are, but then I’m susceptible, should it find it’s way to my little town. Another good reason for my solitude in my opinion. And going insane trying to buy the last roll of t.p. or hoarding enough bottled water to float the Titanic (should it float) is nuts too. Making sure everyone panics and ends up dying because some hoarder kills them to get that last can of beans is nuts too. The virus is nasty on a multitude of fronts apparently. Having that moron run our country doesn’t help, as you astutely point out. Maybe he thinks he’s immune. French can be tres chic… indeedy doo, but but give me the Scottish burr or the crisp English accent. Each to their own, non?

• Fandango March 10, 2020 / 11:12 pm

Oui, each to his or her own, n’est ce pas?