The Gift

01D0C047-04EF-40B6-A9C4-EF02F380E38BI’d never heard such a bloodcurdling scream in my entire life. Well, outside of a movie theater showing a horror movie, anyway. But this scream came from my wife, which caused me to run from my home office, where I was busy paying my various monthly bills, to the dining room, where the scream came from.

“Get it out of here!” she screamed at me when I arrived. She pointed and my eyes followed her pointing finger and that’s when I saw it. Our cat, who had been in our backyard, caught a rat and, with rat in mouth, came up to our deck, sauntered into our dining room via the open sliding glass door, and dropped the almost dead rat on the mat just inside the door.

“Get it out of here!” my wife screamed again. She was literally shaking. I grabbed a ziplock bag out of a kitchen drawer, scooped up the mortally wounded rat, and carried it out to the trash bin in our garage.

By the time I got back, my wife had calmed down a bit, but she was still a little shook up. “You okay?” I asked.

“No, I’m not okay,” she said. “I can’t believe the goddam cat brought a rat into our house and dropped it on the mat in our dining room.”

We both looked down at our cat, who looked back at us with either total disinterest or possibly disdain. It was as if he was thinking how ungrateful we were after he went to all the trouble of catching and bringing us a present. “Why aren’t you thanking me? Aren’t you proud of me?” he seemed to be asking us.

Written for Teresa Grabs’ latest writing challenge, where she asks us to “write a rhyming (or not) story for adults using a cat, a rat, and a mat.”

29 thoughts on “The Gift

1. Marilyn Armstrong March 5, 2020 / 11:25 am

He was just offering you some extra meat for dinner. Cats think of us as big, bald hunters that never seem to catch enough game. For that matter, so do our terriers. I never minded the piles of dead mice, but the rats got me, too.

2. rugby843 March 5, 2020 / 11:30 am

The beauty of cats, not! But I did have that big dog Smokey, who brought us frozen squirrels test had fallen off the tree in CO winters.

Sent from my iPad

3. Melanie B Cee March 5, 2020 / 12:05 pm

That’s the beauty of dogs. They rarely bring you something half dead and seem to expect you to eat it or cook it up for them…..now dogs DO leave us unsavory ‘presents’ but usually it’s because they over indulged in something not agreeable to their digestion..

• Fandango March 6, 2020 / 10:55 pm

And cats leave us hair balls. 🤮

4. Violet Lentz March 5, 2020 / 12:10 pm

I had a dog that killed small rodents including rats and left them on the bed for me.. So it could have been worse!

5. Sue Vincent March 5, 2020 / 12:44 pm

This is why I am a dog person 😉 Especially after my employer’s cat delivered me half a mouse after an absence… in the bath with me…

• Sue Vincent March 6, 2020 / 11:44 pm

Most unpleasant…I was out of there like a cork from a bottle 😉

6. cagedunn March 5, 2020 / 1:06 pm

It wasn’t a snake – I got one of those gifted to me … in bed! And no, it wasn’t dead

• Fandango March 6, 2020 / 10:58 pm

So a mostly dead rat on a mat on the dining room floor ain’t so bad, huh?

• cagedunn March 7, 2020 / 12:50 am

Not from this perspective – snakes alive (and likely venomous) in the bed in the middle of the night!

• Fandango March 6, 2020 / 11:01 pm

This is the year of the rat on the Chinese zodiac, so maybe so!

7. pensitivity101 March 5, 2020 / 2:47 pm

Our family cat from my childhood was a mouser and would line his catch up in order of size on the back doorstep. They were very dead, but not mangled. Apparently this is the ultimate honour/gift. We had an unwelcome Ratilda in the garden here and it didn’t leave alive.

8. Taswegian1957 March 5, 2020 / 2:53 pm

The first time that my sister stayed over at my place my dog brought in a dead animal, we don’t know what it was as it had been dead for a while and dropped it at her feet. Obviously a welcome present. She had never done that before and thankfully never did again. Possibly our yelling tipped her off that it was not a welcome gift.

9. Marleen March 5, 2020 / 4:22 pm

I am convinced cats should either be always indoors or always outdoors. Rats are intolerable.

• Fandango March 6, 2020 / 11:06 pm

Ours is mostly an indoor cat, but every once in a while we let him out in our backyard.

10. Tatiana March 5, 2020 / 8:47 pm

Ha, ha, nothing wrong with these kind of things. They are proud of what they have done and want to show it to you 🙂 I had a similar experience, but I was in the porch outside, not in the bedroom 🙂

11. Teresa Grabs March 6, 2020 / 2:41 am

All mine bring me are gophers, moles, and the occasional pigeon lol

12. leigha66 March 7, 2020 / 11:19 pm

The cat just wanted to share his treasure with you. I would have freaked out too.

13. Carol Anne March 9, 2020 / 12:05 pm

Lol. Wow! I’d be screaming too. Rats, no thanks. Cats always bring rats, mice, etc in to the house. makes me glad I dont have a cat. 😀