As I commented on Marilyn’s post this morning, “You stole my thunder. When I went to bed last night at about 11 pm Pacific time, I was planning to write a post this morning titled “Two Old White Men.” But you have a 3-hour advantage over me, since 7 am my time is 10 am your time. But my post would have pretty much said exactly what you wrote anyway. Well, hopefully the Democratic ticket will get at least some level of diversity with the VP choices.”

So, in case you missed it, here’s Marilyn’s post.

“Everyone wants change,” said Garry, “until they get to the polls and then it’s the same old game all over again.” We were both bummed at how poorly …

TWO OLD WHITE GUYS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT? WHAT A SHOCK! By Marilyn Armstrong

14 thoughts on “Reblog: TWO OLD WHITE GUYS RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT? WHAT A SHOCK! By Marilyn Armstrong

1. Marleen March 4, 2020 / 9:25 am

I get it. They are two old, white guys. At least Bernie would be the first Jewish president. But if Elizabeth is still an option when I go for my caucus, I’ll go there first… then likely need to move, in the resorting, to someone with fifteen percent or more.

• Fandango March 4, 2020 / 9:52 pm

I heard that both the Sanders camp and the Biden camp are eyeing Warren as a potential VP.

• Marleen March 5, 2020 / 8:40 am

It’s a bit of a curious thought experiment to imagine what she would do with that choice. Plus, anyone selecting a running mate would likely do well to wait and announce the night before the next day of primary/caucus voting… or maybe the day of. Of course, vice presidential deals have not usually happened until the conventions.

2. Marilyn Armstrong March 4, 2020 / 9:40 am

We really are pathetic aren’t we? I so wanted to see someone with some youth and energy. And gee, look at the senior citizens who may not survive one term much less two.

• Marleen March 4, 2020 / 10:06 am

I contributed to some young people. Maybe one of them will be chosen for Vice President.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 4, 2020 / 5:14 pm

I hope so. Because we are probably going to need a good VP when one of these guys has (another) heart attack.

3. JT Twissel March 4, 2020 / 11:53 am

I think Biden will have Barack Obama solidly in his corner and he’s still youngish. Plus, Biden’s wife is much younger and apparently able to handle herself. At least she’s not an underwear model/gold digger. Think FDR and Eleanor.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 4, 2020 / 5:09 pm

I don’t dislike Biden. I do think what he wants to do is resurrect the Obama years. He isn’t going to do it. The past is over and will not return — no matter who we elect. Even if we could make it come back, we shouldn’t. It didn’t exactly work out all that well.

4. Stroke Survivor UK March 4, 2020 / 2:08 pm

I must admit that I read the post – I had not hitherto realised that the night had caused people to drop out of the race, but of course it is not something I am following as closely as you. I can get what Marilyn is saying in terms of “just the same old farts as we have come to expect”, but if it were me, I would not have brought their colour into it. Or, probably, their age. I bet there are lots of people who would argue that being “old” is not am impairment, either.

• Marilyn Armstrong March 4, 2020 / 5:02 pm

I forget stuff. Garry forgets stuff. People our age forget stuff. We remember it later, but we lose words in the middle of sentences. But we aren’t running for president.

As for white, well, let’s see. How many minority people have become president? How many women? White, male, and old are pretty much standard issue for all presidents and most senators in this country and apparently while we got over it for one man, we may never do it again.

OF COURSE color comes into it. Ignoring race is a lot of what has made the problems we have as bad as they are. You can’t just ignore race and figure if you ignore it long enough, it’ll just vanish.

It didn’t vanish. It actually got worse until finally, we got a full-fledged OLD WHITE RACIST as president. I have nothing against old people. I am one. My husband is another. I have nothing against being white. I’m white. I have nothing against dark-skinned folks either. My husband is one. What I object to is trying to go back to what didn’t work before MANY times and figuring “Ah, but THIS TIME it will work.” It won’t work any better now than it did in all the previous attempts.

We need real change and it starts with people actually willing to VOTE for change.

• Fandango March 4, 2020 / 10:46 pm

Sanders is 78 and Biden is 77. Being President of the U.S. is a hard, very demanding job. I’m not saying that being old is an impairment as much as the that the roles of POTUS requires energy, vitality, stamina, and a sharp mind. The harsh reality is that a person in their late 70s may not possess all of those attributes. I’m not there yet, and I already know that the wheels inside my head don’t move as quickly or as smoothly as they once did. As to color, the U.S. has had only one non-white President and has NEVER had a female president. Hence, we are left with “two old white guys.”

• Stroke Survivor UK March 5, 2020 / 2:10 am

If those are your top two priorities, then hire a 20yo black woman, give her the job, and your dream just came true! I’d suggest those are not your biggest priorities, and that in fact, they are some way down the list.. Choose somebody not because they are man or woman, young or old, black or white, but because they are the best. So what if they die partway through? That’s why they have a team, to carry on the work.

• Fandango March 5, 2020 / 7:24 am

I want the best possible person to be on the Oval Office, regardless of age, race, or gender. That said, it is disconcerting to me that it always seems to end up being old, white males who sit in that office. Never a female, only once a minority, and mostly “elderly.” There are some highly competent, extremely qualified, and very smart people who are not old, white males who could be an excellent POTUS. But it seems that even in the 21st century, such individuals are not “electable.” It would be nice if a country with the diversity of the United States could elect someone as POTUS who is not an old white guy.