Friday Fictioneers — The Comic Opera

2EA4123C-4CB0-424B-96C7-68B92B6F7E56“I don’t like him. He’s not funny,” Doris said.

“Who’s not funny?” Ted asked.

Gilbert Gottfried,” Doris answered. “He’s obnoxious.”

Why are you bring up Gilbert Gottfried?” Ted asked.

“You said we’re going to see a Gilbert Gottfried performance tonight,” Doris responded.

“No,” Ted said. “It’s Gilbert and Sullivan and a performance of H.M.S. Pinafore.”

“Who are Gilbert and Sullivan? Are they a comedy team?”

“No. They wrote a comic opera called H.M.S. Pinafore.”

“An opera? I thought we were going to a comedy club.”

“Finish getting dressed,” Ted said. “When the actors take their final bow, you’ll be clapping.”

(100 words)

Written for Rochelle Wisoff-Field’s Friday Fictioneers prompt. Photo credit: Dale Rogerson.D8CFE08F-5168-4694-B3E6-5ECFEF614359

15 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — The Comic Opera

1. msjadeli February 28, 2020 / 9:56 am

So funny, Fandango. I just realized it’s been awhile since you wrote a story for Friday Fictioneers. Hope you’re back in the saddle 🙂

• Fandango February 28, 2020 / 11:07 pm

Yes, this was my first Friday Fictioneers since mid-December. I’m slowly getting back in the groove. Not 100% yet, but getting there.

2. newepicauthor February 28, 2020 / 11:44 am

I like Gilbert Gottfried, he has a great sense of humor although it may be off-color sometimes.

• Fandango February 28, 2020 / 11:21 pm

He’s okay. His voice kinda grates on me, though. At least his “stage voice” grates on me.

3. Nobbinmaug March 1, 2020 / 11:34 am

“Those were the days.”

Ted and Doris remind me of Archie and Edith.

4. granonine March 2, 2020 / 7:23 am

I’m not so sure she’ll be clapping. She doesn’t seem to listen very well 🙂

5. leigha66 March 2, 2020 / 5:53 pm

I think the wires of communication got a little crossed. Good one.