SoCS — The Sounds of Suburbia

65CBF424-1AF2-4B78-85FF-00E71DD9F819For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, Linda G. Hill has to write about the sounds animals make and how we experience them.

Before I talk about how I experience animal sounds, I have to tell you that I am deaf in my left ear, so my hearing is monaural as opposed to stereo. And that means that I have trouble determining where any sounds, animal or otherwise, are coming from. I also suffer from tinnitus, which is a ringing in the ears, so whatever sounds I do hear out of my one good ear need to be of sufficient volume to be heard over my tinnitus.

I’m also not going to include in this discussion the sounds our cat or dog make — the purring, the meowing, the hissing, the barking, the growling, etc. And I’m not going discuss the sounds of any human animals.

What I am going to discuss in this post are the sounds I hear now that I’m living in the suburbs that I didn’t often hear while living in the city. And mostly, I’m going to talk about the animal sounds I hear at night while walking my dog for her final walk of the day.

Last night, for example, I heard a couple of owls, apparently situated in different trees, hooting back and forth with one another. I periodically hear a high-pitch barking, yipping, or howling sounds that are more like that of a coyote than of a dog. And the sounds of crickets chirping. So many crickets.

About a week ago I heard some sounds outside of my bedroom window, so I got up and looked out of the window, where I saw three deer foraging among my plants in the backyard. I never had deer in my backyard in the city.

What I don’t hear in the ‘burbs that I heard all the time in the city are the 24×7 traffic sounds of cars, buses, or truck and the sirens of ambulances and police cars. I live on a cul de sac now, one with maybe a dozen homes on it. So there’s very little traffic at night. Few cars, no buses or trucks, and I’ve yet to hear any sirens anywhere nearby since we moved here at the beginning of the month.

But those last sounds aren’t animal sounds, are they, so why am I bringing them up at all? Well, it’s just one more difference between the sounds of the city and the sounds of suburbia.

The photo at the top of this post was one my wife took of the sunrise yesterday morning from our living room glass doors at around 6:30.

12 thoughts on “SoCS — The Sounds of Suburbia

1. Stroke Survivor UK February 22, 2020 / 3:37 am

Took me a while to get used to the quiet out here. Even when we went on holiday “to get away from it all”, it was noisier than home.

2. Sadje February 22, 2020 / 5:37 am

I would say you are closer to nature in your new home. Hope the hearing issue gets resolved soon.

3. ruddjr February 22, 2020 / 6:07 am

I get what you mean. My sister and I stayed at our Uncle’s house. They live on a dead end street right next to Lake Ontario. We lived in the city with buses going by and all the other sounds that you mentioned. It was too quiet for us.

• Fandango February 22, 2020 / 7:24 am

The quiet is nice, but sometimes I do miss the sounds of the city. There’s a certain vibrancy to them.

• Fandango February 22, 2020 / 10:52 pm

It’s nice for a change to hear nature’s sounds rather than man-made noise.

4. Deborah Drucker February 22, 2020 / 11:06 am

My family moved to suburbs when I was in elementary school and I was struck as well by the quiet at night and the sound of the crickets. Always love to hear and see nature, like owls.

• Fandango February 22, 2020 / 11:00 pm

And the stars at night appear so much brighter than they do in the city.

5. leigha66 February 23, 2020 / 1:37 pm

That is a big adjustment that you are making… but I would take crickets over traffic noise any day!