Love Thy Neighbor

7A088623-16C5-4BD5-8A10-EDF8DD7F4780Having lived in the big city for the past decade, my wife and I rarely spoke with our neighbors. We never took the time to introduce ourselves to them, nor did they introduce themselves to us. Sometimes we would nod or say hello to others as we passed, but with the exception of a handful of fellow dog owners that we would frequently run into on our daily dog walks at Golden Gate Park, we really didn’t know or talk with our neighbors. I never even knew any of their names!

And that was fine by me. It’s not so much that we aren’t social people, as it is that most urbanites tend to not be very sociable. They mostly go about their business and keep their heads down and avert their eyes when approached by others. Well, at least I did.

But then we moved into a suburban neighborhood almost two weeks ago and we have already met most of the neighbors. There’s Nick and Dimitri (Nick’s father) to our right. Jay and Jo to our left. David and Jane directly across the street, Adam and Elaine to their right. Ryan and Denise to their left, And Derrick and Monica two houses down on our side.

We even had a bunch of neighborhood kids, of which there are many, ring our bell to welcome us to the neighborhood, although I’m sure they were disappointed that we’re old and gray and have no young kids of our own to add to their menagerie.

Several of our new neighbors even came over bearing treats, like chocolate covered strawberries, a pie, and some homemade cupcakes. Can you believe that? They must think my wife and I need some fattening up. And then Derrick told us that the neighbors get together and hold block parties every three or four months. What fun!

Bottom line, this love thy neighbor vibe and suburban life style will definitely take some getting used to.

22 thoughts on “Love Thy Neighbor

1. Paula Light February 18, 2020 / 8:51 pm

I remember those days! I’m in a big condo complex now and don’t know anyone, except I do say hi to the kitty in the window next door. Enjoy the friendliness!

• Fandango February 18, 2020 / 11:08 pm

It’s definitely something I’m going to have to get acclimated to.

2. Christine Bolton February 18, 2020 / 8:59 pm

The same thing happened to us when we moved to a new community a year ago. We were blown away! Have a sneaky feeling we are the only Dems in the neighborhood but luckily no one has brought up politics. If they do we may be in trouble 😳

• Fandango February 18, 2020 / 11:11 pm

Yeah, I may be in the same situation, so until I gain more insight into my new neighbors, talking politics is off the table. At least I haven’t seen anyone wearing a MAGA hat yet.

• Christine Bolton February 19, 2020 / 4:25 am

Let’s hope you never do. You can always get one and use it like Larry David does! (An episode from the other week .. too funny!)

3. slmret February 18, 2020 / 9:08 pm

Do enjoy the friendliness of your new neighborhood. Your dog walks will open many friendships, and the block parties will be fun. Where I live, there is not much openness unless you have a dog or three! I haven’t seen my next door neighbors for about 6 months!

• Fandango February 18, 2020 / 11:13 pm

There are at least five or six dogs on our new block, and yes, that is a commonality to be shared. So far I do enjoy the friendliness, but it’s very different from my old neighborhood, so it’ll take getting used to.

4. Liz February 19, 2020 / 12:04 am

Where I live in a block of flats there is a nice community which took a while to get used to, as previous no one spoke.
    I have only lived in one other area where the street was neighbourly.

5. Taswegian1957 February 19, 2020 / 1:34 am

They all sound like very nice people but I know that all that togetherness takes a bit of getting used to.

6. Melanie B Cee February 19, 2020 / 7:56 am

Welcome to Suburbia!! You have had the good fortune to move into a neighborhood where the neighbors are friendly, close knit and likable. It can happen that you get a bunch (even in Suburbia) where they act as if it’s Urban living and never figuratively embrace each other. I’ve lived in such neighborhoods. I’m fortunate that my neighbors here are of the friendly kind (most of ’em). I’m perhaps the neighborhood grumpy old lady (you’ll probably find one or more of the grumpies out there too). Enjoy your new friends!! 🙂 (and yes, neighbors who bring over homemade treats are fabulous!! Enjoy! )

7. pensitivity101 February 19, 2020 / 8:00 am

Sounds like a lovely community.
    A lady five doors down has lived here for twenty years and was stunned that as we were talking over her fence, I was waving at car drivers, or they were waving at me. She asked how come I knew so many people as I seemed to know everyone, so I pointed out that most have dogs and I met them when walking Maggie. I don’t forget a furry face, and might eventually remember their owners!

8. KC February 19, 2020 / 8:14 am

I’m glad for you…even though you didn’t know what you were missing…it takes a community. I read an article yesterday…can’t remember where (maybe WP?)..anyway, the article was about nuclear families and how they came about and the fact – FACT – that it is no longer working, thus, homelessness, childcare issues, intolerance, stress, etc. I think it’s wonderful that you have moved into a REAL neighborhood…I hope you take advantage of that —- since you are ‘old and gray’ and will be glad of the help when you need it.

9. CARAMEL February 19, 2020 / 10:00 am

You could write a soap opera blog series. FANDANGO HEIGHTS or something like that.
    We will all be tuning in to see how suburban life develops and whether any drama unfolds!

10. aguycalledbloke February 20, 2020 / 6:09 am

You got to watch that matey, they ‘ll be having you both swinging next lol 🙂

Humour aside, like you my neighbourhoods used to be very typical of the low level community fares that most neighbourhoods endure these days, since moving here however – l think it’s the first time l have ever known more than three houses. Now l know the occupants of at least a dozen?! No house warming cooking presents, but there is vegetable swapping in the summer. Seems like at least with the neighbourhood watch as they are, you’ll have people to call on if there’s ever an emergency 🙂

• Fandango February 20, 2020 / 11:00 am

So far there are no neighbors that I’ve met that would be candidates for the swinging life. 😉 But yeah, it’s good to meet and get to know one’s neighbors in case anything anything happens.

• aguycalledbloke February 20, 2020 / 12:41 pm

I am genuinely pleased for you, when you feel like you have a supportive neighbourly community – it makes such a vast difference to life 🙂

• aguycalledbloke February 21, 2020 / 7:50 am

Rome wasn’t built in a day my friend – but the good news it’ll take you a much shorter period than 700 years 🙂