Song Lyric Sunday — Baby Please Don’t Go

Jim Adams has given us the words “come,” “go,” “leave,” and “stay” for this week’s Song Lyric Sunday theme. My choice for this week is “If You Leave Me Now” from the group Chicago.

“If You Leave Me Now” was written and sung by Chicago bass player Peter Cetera. It was released as a single on July 31, 1976 from Chicago’s album Chicago X. It topped the U.S. charts on October 23, 1976, and stayed there for two weeks, making it the first number one hit for the group.

Lyrically, this is a surprisingly simple song, where the singer is making his case for why his girl shouldn’t leave him. Cetera specialized in ballads, adding variety to the band’s sound, which typically featured many more rock-oriented songs. The popularity of this song, along with other romantic ballads from Cetera, enabled the group to find a new audience, and it became much more successful.

But the band got tagged as a soft rock group, which took the focus away from the grittier, horn-heavy songs that had been its early calling card. This musical and stylistic shift became a point of contention for Chicago’s famed horn section, leading to constant battles to get the horns higher in the mix. This rift ultimately led to Cetera leave the group in 1985, when he embarked on a solo career.

Here are the lyrics to “If You Leave Me Now.”

If you leave me now, you’ll take away the biggest part of me
Ooohh no
Baby please don’t go
And if you leave me now, you’ll take away the very heart of me
Ooohh no

When tomorrow comes and we’ll both regret
The things we said today

If you leave me now, you’ll take away the biggest part of me
Ooohh no
Baby please don’t go
Ooohh girl
I just got to have you by my side
Ooohh no
Baby please don’t go
Ooohh mama
I just got to have your loving here

20 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Baby Please Don’t Go

1. pensitivity101 February 16, 2020 / 5:28 am

I nearly went with this Fandango, and it has all the theme words in it the lyrics too.
    Excellent choice.

• Fandango February 16, 2020 / 10:22 pm

Thank you, Felicia. It is a great song, isn’t it?

2. msjadeli February 16, 2020 / 11:15 am

It’s a very pretty song and Peter sings it well. I remember reading about the rift that led to the pre-Peter-led and post-Peter-led days for Chicago. I prefer the pre- but that doesn’t mean the post- isn’t good.

• Fandango February 16, 2020 / 10:30 pm

I was sorry that he decided to leave the group, but he enjoyed success as a solo artist, and Chicago continued to produce great music.

3. Lisa Coleman February 16, 2020 / 11:32 am

Love the harmony of the horns! I played french horn in high school and we played this song. Thanks for bringing back the memory! 🙂

4. aisasami February 17, 2020 / 7:07 am

Peter might have been the odd one out in the group, but his singing was lovely. I do love the horns section of the band but I also love their soft rock sound too (however, Chicago 18 is a great blend of those). Have you seen “Now More Than Ever: The History of Chicago “? An interesting watch.

• Fandango February 17, 2020 / 2:26 pm

No, I haven’t seen that. I’ll have to see if I can find it streaming somewhere.