Fandango’s Friday Flashback — February 14

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of you earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember? Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 14th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on February 14, 2016 in my old blog. I posted it a few days after Bernie Sanders soundly beat Hillary Clinton by a margin of more than 22% in the popular vote in the 2016 New Hampshire Democratic presidential primary. Bernie was declared the winner of this year’s New Hampshire primary this past Tuesday, albeit in a much tighter race. When I reread this post, I realized that I feel the same way now as I did exactly four years ago today.

I Like Bernie Sanders, But….

BernieI really like Bernie Sanders. But I have to say, as a practical and pragmatic individual, I am hoping that he doesn’t earn the nomination as the standard bearer for the Democratic Party in this year’s presidential election.

And now that Bernie achieved a surprising “virtual tie” in Iowa and won big in New Hampshire this past Tuesday, it’s conceivable that he might just end up being the Democratic nominee.

But Is he electable in the general election?

Bernie describes himself as a “Democratic Socialist.” But the words “socialist” and “socialism” in the United States have very negative connotations. In fact, a lot of Americans find the idea of socialism downright scary.

Of course, they’re thinking of the old USSR, the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, as well as of the classic definition of socialism, which is:

A political and economic theory of social organization that advocates that the means of production, distribution, and exchange should be owned or regulated by the community as a whole.

Of course, “community” in the concept of national socioeconomic systems, equates to “government.” And the Republican candidates — surprise, surprise — are milking those fears of socialism and “government control” over a wide swath of our society for all they’re worth. They’re claiming that the Democrats in general, and Bernie Sanders in particular, want to turn the United States into a European socialist nation like Sweden or Denmark.

Or, perish the thought, France.

But in truth, Sanders’ version of Democratic Socialism is not your grandfather’s socialism. Sanders’ approach doesn’t favor or promote government ownership of specific industries. It’s actually oriented around stronger regulations and trying to make sure that the private sector works for the benefit of everyone, and not just for a the very wealthy, or the so-called One Percenters.

Yet while I embrace many of his strategies for economic and political reform, I just don’t think the American voting public is ready for Bernie’s brand of Democratic Socialism.

On top of being a self-declared Democratic Socialist, Bernie is a Brooklyn Jew. He says he is not actively practicing his Jewish religion, but is, instead, Jewish by heritage and culture rather than by religious beliefs. Some suggest that he is agnostic, or worse, an atheist.

We’ve never had a Jewish president in this country. We’ve never had a non-Christian, non-religious president in this country, much less someone who is thought to be either agnostic or atheist.

So when it comes to the 2016 general election, not only do I think the American voting public is not ready for “Democratic Socialism,” I don’t think that mostly-Christian America is ready for an agnostic/atheist Jewish Democratic Socialist as president.

I’m just saying….

26 thoughts on “Fandango’s Friday Flashback — February 14

1. annieasksyou February 14, 2020 / 6:20 am

I emphatically agree and have, in fact, written two posts recently about why I think Bernie’s trump’s dream candidate. And a new Gallup poll bears up the reluctance of Americans to vote for a socialist —or an atheist.

Michael Bloomberg also worries me for other reasons. I wish he’d set aside his large ego and fund Amy’s campaign. With enough money, I think she could win.

On a totally non-political note, here’s my poem about the fleeting nature of childhood. Seize every moment when you get that chance again, Grandpa-to-be! Hope you’re doing well.

• Fandango February 14, 2020 / 1:41 pm

I’d like to see Amy do well. Her star does seem to be rising. I also like Elizabeth Warren.

2. Stroke Survivor UK February 14, 2020 / 6:35 am

I think your flashback is quite right. I like what I’ve seen of Sanders but Ithink he just comes with too much baggege. Has done for years. In 2020, Trump will find him too easy to beat.
    Socialism is a dirty word here too. In fact the only person who got elected under the banner of “socialism” was Tony Blair, and he in the end was too far on the right for many of us. You kind of think that “socialism” such as a minimum wage, and a ban on smoking in public places, is about as far as we’re prepared to go.

• Fandango February 14, 2020 / 2:39 pm

An excellent flashback for Valentines Day!

• Fandango February 14, 2020 / 8:14 pm

Americans are very wary of socialism even though many programs that Americans highly regard (like Medicare and Social Security). So that’s why Bernie is not a viable candidate vs Trump. I’d go wit Amy Klobuchar or Elizabeth Warren.

3. Marleen February 14, 2020 / 5:19 pm

It’s quite possible Trump, a man who practices none of the particulars of faith in Jesus (aka Christianity) or love for any god other than himself would win against a Jewish man who says he doesn’t practice all the particulars of Judaism (and might be agnostic)… as so many people have NO CLUE. By the way, Israel began with a lot of socialism and kibbutzim.

Anyway, I also like Amy.

4. tiredhamster February 16, 2020 / 4:32 pm

Out of all of the Dems running, Bernie has the best chance against Trump. While people are afraid of the word “socialist” his policy ideas are popular, and he has the personality that can go toe-to-toe against Trump in a debate. And he doesn’t have the baggage like the other candidates. Can you imagine Elizabeth “Pocahontas” Warren trying to go against Trump on stage?

While older people and conservatives are wary of socialism, they were never going to vote for Sanders in the first place. Meanwhile, I don’t think the rest of the US cares that much. People care more about what you represent, your personality, your history, and your policies. It’s why Bernie, despite being more “radical” would have been the better choice to go up against Trump in 2016. Sanders is a socialist, but that isn’t as bad as being “Crooked Hillary” someone who is unpopular, arrogant, corrupt and brazenly out-of-touch.

Sanders also has “outsider” appeal just as Trump does. While Sanders is a career politician, he is an independent who has been attacked by the mainstream media. People are tired of centrists endorsed by the establishment. That is why Trump won and it’s partly why Sanders is doing so well. The difference is Sanders has been consistent throughout his career. He’s not a phony and people realize this. This is why the media and pundits attack his “electability” because there isn’t much else to attack. He has a strong personality, has integrity, and his policy ideas are popular and necessary. But, ironically, the fact that the media is attacking/minimizing him makes him even more electable.

However, the question of electability shouldn’t even matter. What should matter is whether or not a candidate will do what is best for the country. I think Sanders would, and would likely do a better job compared to the other candidates. But, if “electability” is what matters, just think: can you imagine Elizabeth Warren, Joe Biden, Amy Klobuchar, or Pete Buttigieg doing well against Trump in a debate?

• Fandango February 16, 2020 / 11:20 pm

If Sanders gets the nomination, I will, of course, vote for him in the general election. But I disagree that he has the best chance to beat Trump. I think he scares the moderates in both parties. Why do you think Republican voters in states with open primaries, where Republicans can vote in the Democratic primary races, are coming out in droves to vote for Bernie? They’re doing that because they’re being encouraged to do so by the RNC and state Republican Party leaders because they believe Trump can easily beat Sanders in November. And I agree.