SoCS — I’m Sorry

D999728F-92D8-467A-9BAD-17506BFA2C44I really thought the worst part would be the packing and the physical moving. That got accomplished and my wife and I spent our first night in our new house on Wednesday night. It was a late night and I didn’t get much sleep…maybe four hours…that first night.

But I was wrong about the packing and the physical moving being the worst part. It’s the unpacking and figuring out where things are (i.e., in which boxes) and then deciding where to put all of the unpacked things (i.e.,  organizing), that has been the worst part. And then breaking up all of the empty cardboard boxes and creating bundles of neatly folded packing paper the movers used to wrap almost everything they placed in all those boxes is nuts. I can’t even fit my car into the garage because it’s full of cardboard and paper. And after two days, we’re barely half way done.

Oh, I forgot to mention tasks like getting my cable, internet, and WiFi services up and running. And then attaching my doorbell camera and Nest thermostats to the WiFi. Yikes.

At night I think about all that still must get done, so sleep has been restless at best. The truth is, I’m exhausted. And I haven’t had time to be on WordPress for the past two days. Not even to look at my stats or to read you comments on my advanced-scheduled posts.

And for that I really apologize. I think it will be at least another week before things will settle down enough for me to get back in action.

But the good news is that I also haven’t had time to watch any cable news shows or even the late night political comics. I’m sure I haven’t missed much, right? There’s not much going on these days, is there?

Anyway, I’m sorry for all of your comments that I haven’t had time to read and respond to and for missing so many of your great posts. But I’ll be back soon.

Written for Linda G. Hill’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, where she has asked us to use “pack” or “unpack” in our posts.

14 thoughts on “SoCS — I’m Sorry

1. newepicauthor February 8, 2020 / 9:51 am

I will be here waiting with bells on when you return, as an invitation for you to re-join the party.

2. rugby843 February 8, 2020 / 10:01 am

No need to be sorry. Moving is a pita!

3. Sadje February 8, 2020 / 10:13 am

I agree that when moving house, unpacking is the most difficult task. Don’t worry when you’re all settled in, you won’t remember this time.

4. JT Twissel February 8, 2020 / 10:30 am

Oh boy. Getting set up is definitely the worst – takes so much time and often, aggravation!

5. Jami Carder February 8, 2020 / 10:48 am

I’ve read that moving is right up there with divorce and death in regards to stressors on relationships! Take care of yourself!

6. Marleen February 8, 2020 / 12:41 pm

I certainly understand. Don’t let any concerns about us add to your stress. Above all, try to be chill about the whole matter; no-one wants you to overly exert yourself or get hurt in any way.

7. CARAMEL February 8, 2020 / 12:59 pm

Isn’t moving supposed to be one of the most stressful things in life?

You probably need a break from all the news. It’s mostly bewildering.

8. KC February 8, 2020 / 2:28 pm

Nope,..you haven’t missed a thing regarding news; it’s like hearing crickets chirping on a balmy summer evening….just relaxing, sipping iced tea while watching the sunset knowing all is right in the world. ;-P

9. Jen Goldie February 8, 2020 / 3:21 pm

You know I’m missing you. I’m one less STAT! just kidding of course 😏 Take all the time you need and more. What’s new in the news anyways it’s just death and politics (or is it taxes?) 🙈🙉🙊

10. Laura February 8, 2020 / 6:15 pm

Ah, yes, we did this process exactly one year ago. We got *very* lucky — some close friends were moving a couple of weeks after us so we were able to break down our boxes, bundle our paper, and pass it all along to them. Good luck with the unpacking!

11. dawnbirdau February 8, 2020 / 6:38 pm

Seven years on … I’m still unpacking the cardboard boxes in the garage! You’ve done well to accomplish so much in a short time.

12. RuthScribbles February 9, 2020 / 9:32 am

Well…. have you seen the firestorm after NP ripped the speech, or the continuation of revenge firings by 45? Or the caucus debacle and now the primary in NH? Can’t believe you would choose to get settled over getting incensed by cable news?? Ha. Moving is horrid! Take care!