Five Lines or Less — Manifest Destiny

6AD88B82-7A79-4EAC-A9C9-2D2ACCE6BAD4I’m moving into a new home next week.

It will be the 17th home I’ve lived in.

Not counting dorms, apartments, and other temporary housing.

Three with my parents, two on my own, nine with my wife and kids, and three as empty nesters with my wife.

It seems that my life’s personal Manifest Destiny has been to live in many homes.

5 linesWritten for the Friday Five Lines or Less prompt from Patricia’s Place. The idea is to write a story or poem of five lines or less. This week’s word is “destiny.”

20 thoughts on “Five Lines or Less — Manifest Destiny

1. Marleen January 31, 2020 / 12:32 pm

Seventeen sure is a lot.

2. Marleen January 31, 2020 / 12:38 pm

Scary picture. Did you ever see Hell on Wheels? (AMC)

3. Marilyn Armstrong January 31, 2020 / 1:14 pm

Let’s see: Three with parents. Three with first husband, two with second husband, three alone on my own, and four with Garry. I’m never moving again. They’ll have to carry me out.

• Fandango January 31, 2020 / 11:19 pm

“I’m never moving again.” Yeah, I’ve said that about four or five times! 😏

4. Marilyn Armstrong January 31, 2020 / 1:16 pm

The above also doesn’t count rooms rented near school (they didn’t have dorms) and a couple of other short term places. And it was three with second husband. Forgot one. Sixteen, seven of them during a three year period.

• Fandango January 31, 2020 / 11:20 pm

You’re about as nomadic as I am.

5. Stroke Survivor UK January 31, 2020 / 2:06 pm

Yup, I’ve lived in far fewer. Two as a child, I don’t count my university years, I think three as a singleton, and just the one married. Been in this place 21 years. No great desire to move ever again, even though without my own car I am more cut-off than most people.

6. Sadje January 31, 2020 / 5:35 pm

I don’t know how many homes I’ve lived in. But I think less than that. All the best for the new home.

7. RuthScribbles February 1, 2020 / 11:40 am

You should count them all!! I have a spreadsheet with my addresses. (Some job I was submitting too wanted all addresses – a school district.)

How many different cities and states? I’m in my 28th location/address. And yes, I included a three week apartment because we had to use that address when we were setting up banks etc when moving country.

• Fandango February 1, 2020 / 12:21 pm

One day I’ll have to come up with a list of every city/town and state I’ve ever lived in, including temporary/short term addresses. Whew, that could take a while!

• Marleen February 1, 2020 / 1:18 pm

I lived in a hotel (after moving from California) for like a month, and then a rented condo for a few months (maybe half a year or so) before we bought a home. It turned out to be very significant for my life that we had done that (which was in a neighboring state).

8. Patricia February 6, 2020 / 4:39 pm

When I first read this I thought it was unbelievable but then I counted how many places I have lived and came up with 12. So, maybe 17 isn’t so crazy. Thanks for linking.