SoCS — The Last Call

Linda G. Hill, the creator of One-Liner Wednesday, JusJoJan, and Stream of Consciousness Saturday, has asked us to “talk about the enterprise (sales or service) conducted by the last phone call you received from a business you’re not associated with, or talk about that phone conversation itself.”

Okay, I’m going to bend the rules a little and instead of relating a phone call I had with a business I’m not associated with, I’m going tell you about a series of text messages I had yesterday with an electrician I hired to swap out the 125 amp main electric panel with a 200 amp main panel in the house we just bought and will be moving into in two weeks.

Upgrading the main electric service to 200 amps is a pretty involved process. I had to get a permit from the town, arrange for the local utility company, PG&E, to disconnect the power to the house, hire an electrician to remove the old panel and install the new one, get the town to inspect and approve the installation of the panel by the electrician, and then get PG&E to come out and turn the electric service back on.

Anyway, at 12:45 yesterday afternoon, I got a text in which the electrician said the work, which he had started on Wednesday, was finished.A6FA501E-35C4-46B6-8C91-E25E560B54EBVia text, he gave me the final fee for his work. I asked him if I could give him my credit card number, but he asked me to Venmo him the money. I told him I’d be back at the house on Monday and could give him a check then, but he said he’d prefer being paid through Venmo.

Maybe I’m old school, but I don’t have a Venmo account. I told him that my bank, Bank of America, offers a similar service, and although I’d never used it, I could set up the transfer of funds to his Venmo account from my the online banking app on my iPhone. I started the process and was ready to initiate the transfer when I got this text message:ED1C913E-CE9D-4D3B-9373-7F85309D9783Well, at least I tried to be a thoroughly modern, technology savvy man.

12 thoughts on “SoCS — The Last Call

1. Sadje January 25, 2020 / 7:54 am

I think he hadn’t used the bank transfer method before.

2. teamfollowthrough January 25, 2020 / 11:05 am

If it wasn’t for me having two daughters, I never would understand any of this stuff. They asked me to get a Venmo account so I did and I’m surprised at how many people actually use it!

• Fandango January 25, 2020 / 10:39 pm

My son and daughter have Venmo accounts and they persuaded my wife to get one. I’m the lone holdout.

3. Marleen January 25, 2020 / 11:27 am

Two hundred amperes are good. When my oldest son bought his first house, the home inspector called in by the real estate agent told him he would likely want it replaced at some point but that the 125 amps was acceptable. I wanted my son and his wife to offer less for the house to cover the cost that would be involved (besides for a few other things). The whole topic barely registered with my son at the time. (The apartments where he and his wife had lived had suddenly decided to convert into condominiums, and they were resultantly under a time constraint.) However, he ended up looking into making the change a few years later and was surprised by the price. I remembered the whole previous conversation involving the fact that, in the neighborhood at hand, new electrical was required to be run underground and not on wires stretching in the air above the yard; of course, besides being safer generally, this has a more pleasant appearance.

• Fandango January 25, 2020 / 10:42 pm

We still have wires coming from the pole on street to the house, both in my current neighborhood and the one we’re moving to.

4. Stine Writing January 25, 2020 / 6:29 pm

All of those pay sites are scarily (if that is a word) easy to transfer money to people. Big brother wants to make it easier for us!

• Fandango January 25, 2020 / 11:08 pm

I’m not sure I trust those sites, to be honest, but my kids use them frequently.

5. leigha66 January 26, 2020 / 7:10 pm

Sounds like he has trouble with decisions. Glad his work doesn’t go back and forth like that.