Share Your World — News and Expiration Dates

Share Your WorldIt’s time once again for us to answer Melanie’s Share Your World questions for this week. So, without further ado, let’s do this!

Where do you get your news?

My primary sources for news are: The San Francisco Chronicle, The Week magazine, the newsfeed on my iPhone, and MSNBC. And the Daily Show with Trevor Noah, The Late Show with Stephen Colbert, Full Frontal with Samantha Bee, Jimmy Kimmel Live, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver, and Real Time with Bill Maher.

What ‘old person’ thing do you do?

As I am an “old person,” I would say that everything I do is an “old person” thing. I guess the most telling, though, might be that we typically time our dinner meal for as early as 5:00 pm and no later than 6 pm.

When was the coldest you’ve ever been? The warmest?

Coldest: my wife and I went to Barrow, Alaska, also known as Utqiaġvik, in 2007 to visit our son, where he got a job as a state court magistrate, his first job after graduating from law school. Barrow is one of the northernmost public communities in the world and is the northernmost city in the United States.

Warmest: Death Valley, California, where it hit 118°F when we visited it a few years back. But it was a dry heat!

Do you eat food that’s past its expiration date if it still smells and looks fine?

My philosophy is that if it’s not discolored, not fuzzy (assuming it’s not a peach), and doesn’t cause me to gag when I smell it, it’s still good to eat…for me, anyway.AAAD632E-CD95-4171-88F8-2B99BF32C9B9

19 thoughts on “Share Your World — News and Expiration Dates

1. myplace3187 January 20, 2020 / 1:00 pm

Hi Fandango I made a mistake with a number of followers who I dropped thinking they were not following me any more.I am sorry for doing that. I have re-followed you twice today. I hope you will allow me to follow you again my friend. I wrote a blog about called ” My Big Mistake “

• Fandango January 20, 2020 / 9:54 pm

No worries. I appreciate you re-following me. And now I’ll go read your post.

• myplace3187 January 21, 2020 / 8:11 am

You are very welcome for re-following Fandango. Hope you appreciate me telling the truth about my big mistake.

2. Marilyn Armstrong January 20, 2020 / 3:24 pm

I go also with the “do you remember when you put this in the fridge?” If I really can’t remember, but think it might be from last Thanksgiving, especially if it looks like a science experiment, dumpo.

• Fandango January 20, 2020 / 10:03 pm

Yeah, I usually dump those old refrigerated science experiments…eventually. 😉

3. Marleen January 20, 2020 / 3:47 pm

I mostly go by dates. If it’s a type of vegetable oil, though, I’ll smell it. If it’s not rancid, I’ll use it as body moisturizer in the winter months. The latest one I did that with is a relatively small can of hazelnut oil. I’ve also done it with a large bottle of hemp oil. As for milk, I purposely buy the organic milk at Costco in cardboard cartons because (first of all it tastes very good but also) it lasts beyond the date very well. It’s usually already consumed before the date, though. If I buy the kind (even organic) in plastic, it might go bad before the date (has done so). There is also a difference in brands that are not organic, though. Some go bad sooner no matter what they’re in, and some just don’t taste as good from the start. I see no point in buying the latter.

• Fandango January 20, 2020 / 10:06 pm

I also buy organic milk In cardboard cartons. And I always finish it way before the expiration date.

4. Sadje January 20, 2020 / 6:40 pm

If it looks and smells fine then eat it. My philosophy too.

5. leigha66 January 20, 2020 / 9:44 pm

For leftovers we write what we had on a calendar on the fridge. Then try to get them used within a week. As for dated thing I go fairly close to the date if it is not far off and still smells and looks fine. More than a month past though it is out no matter what.

6. Scotty’s Keep January 21, 2020 / 11:01 am

We usually eat no later than 5 pm. That was not possible when we were working.

During the summer of 1961, when I was stationed at Beale AFB near Sacreamento, the official temperature one day in August was 129. I was an aircraft maintainer. The temps in the fuselages was unreal. But there was a Cold War on. The bombers had to be ready.

I pay attention to experation dates, but I’m hesitant to throw something out that is past.

7. Marleen January 21, 2020 / 11:55 am

Where do I get my news? C-SPAN, MSNBC, TYT, Rising (affiliated with The Hill), RedLine (only recently); I’m giving CNN a rest. I check in on FOXnews and OAN and CHDR.

Online, I read from many different “papers” and magazines.

I read from America, the UK, Australia, NZ, Israel, and so on (in English).

I also get recommendations from Apple news. Again, that will come from many sources.

8. Marleen January 21, 2020 / 1:35 pm

I’d say an “old person thing” I do is eating out or carrying out or getting delivery or buying precooked food (not prepackaged) from the grocery maybe half the time.

When I was in my thirties, I commented to a builder that most kitchens didn’t seem big enough. I had a home with a large, even if dated, kitchen at the time; plenty of counter and table space, a double oven, plus the obligatory microwave as well as another added counter-top combination microwave and conventional-convection with broiler on top. I cooked and baked a lot. The builder told me that most people didn’t really cook anymore.

A lot of people already ate out (not necessarily quality) frequently compared to my family when I was younger — we hardly ever went to any place like McDonald’s. My dad and my mom both cooked fresh food. Going out, for us, was for fancier places… special occasions.

So, even though it’s something that has come about as I’ve become older, I’m not exactly out of step with the times. Still, it bothers me that my newer kitchen doesn’t have a truly adequate hood (exhaust fan) over the stove. [No, I didn’t have the place built or remodeled.]

9. Marleen January 21, 2020 / 2:07 pm

I’m sure I’ve been colder technically, but my coldest memory is of a time I went with a church group to a camp. The night before arriving at the camp, which had cabins, we stayed in someone’s yard in a large tent (two, I’m sure, so that the boys were not in the same place). Apparently, the tent wasn’t pitched [I think is the term] correctly. It rained, and we all woke to torrents of water in cold whether. I remember crying, half awake and not knowing what was going on.

My dad knew how to put up a tent correctly. My dad was not on the trip.

10. Melanie B Cee January 22, 2020 / 5:57 am

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World! I know your schedule is really busy just now, so it’s a double honor! 🙂 I used to watch Bill Maher, and found him pretty in tune with my own points of view, but now no satellite – no Maher and I’m not all that sorry. Even sarcastic wit isn’t enough to stand against the horror fest one is apt to find if one seeks out the news. Kudos on staying informed! 🙂

• Fandango January 22, 2020 / 8:04 pm

I try to stay informed, but sometimes it’s just so frustrating.