Who Won The Week? 1/19/20

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

This week I am choosing Rachel Maddow.

D59D7C8A-28E3-4ED0-9661-409C38C10F1FYou know, as I said in this post earlier this month, I am a big Rachel Maddow fan. But this week, on Wednesday and Thursday nights, Rachel had an exclusive interview with Lev Parnas, the indicted associate of President Donald Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani. In his first televised interview since being indicted, Parnas unleashed a series of explosive allegations against top members of the Trump administration, among them that Trump knew “exactly” what Giuliani was doing in Ukraine. Parnas also implicated Vice President Mike Pence and Attorney General William Barr, saying that they were “in the loop” as far as the Ukraine quid pro quo effort went.

I don’t know what, if any, impact Rachel’s interview with Parnas will have on the Senate impeachment trial of Trump, which starts on Tuesday morning. But boy oh boy, it certainly does make Trump look guilty of abuse of power and obstruction of Congress. Will the Republican Senators continue to wear blinders and stand by Trump, or will some of them finally say that enough is enough? As Rachel Maddow is wont to say, “Watch this space.”

And now it’s your turn, folks. Who (or what) do you think won the week?

22 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 1/19/20

1. Stroke Survivor UK January 19, 2020 / 10:56 am

It seems to me that the whole point of this impeachment process has been to soften Trump up ahead of 2020. In that, it seems to have done well. I wonder, though, if it will change anyone’s mind? Surely everyone (who is going to do so) already thought Trump was an idiot?

• Fandango January 19, 2020 / 10:31 pm

If Trump doesn’t get convicted by the Senate, he will tell his loyal base that he was completely and totally vindicated. that the whole impeachment thing was a hoax, that the Democrats were trying to undue the will of the voters (even though he received almost 3 million few votes than did his opponent), and that even if he loses the election in 2020, he will not leave office peacefully and quietly. Mark my words, if he does get removed from office, either by being found guilty by the Senate (unlikely) or by losing the election in November (possibly), the U.S. could wind up in a bloody, internal revolution or civil war.

• Stroke Survivor UK January 20, 2020 / 1:20 am

I don’t know the numbers offhand but here a party will typically win an election with 40% of the popular vote. There will usually only be a few percent difference between them and the losers, but it might translate to tens of seats. It is always the way that if you want to win an election, the first thing you need to do is to beat the system.
        I think the ideal system is one where 40% of the popular vote gets you 40% of the voice. I’d introduce smart technology among representatives to achieve that – we use that technology to get into offices nowadays so it is hardly leading edge.

2. Paula Light January 19, 2020 / 10:56 am

Evelyn Yang for her brave and honest interview about being assaulted by a horrible doctor.

3. JT Twissel January 19, 2020 / 11:31 am

It’s hard to top Rachel! Nancy Pelosi did a great job on Bill Maher. Can there be two winners?

• Fandango January 19, 2020 / 10:32 pm

There can be as many winners as you want. I agree, Nancy was great on Maher’s show.

4. rugby843 January 19, 2020 / 12:33 pm

I agree. It seems overwhelming evidence still does not make sense to them. I wonder exactly what they are getting for their “loyalty”.

Sent from my iPad

• Fandango January 19, 2020 / 10:39 pm

Whatever they’re getting, they’re selling their souls as the price they’re paying.

5. Marleen January 19, 2020 / 2:21 pm

It’s quite admirable how conscientiously, brilliantly, and hard Rachel works.

6. myplace3187 January 27, 2020 / 7:07 am

I think the Democrats won the week hands down. Adam Schiff was brilliant and the entire Team works tirelessly to campaign for a fair trail that Americans are entitled to.

• Fandango January 27, 2020 / 10:31 pm

I wholeheartedly agree. But will the succeed in getting witness to testify and getting the documents they requested? I seriously doubt it. I hope I’m wrong.

• myplace3187 January 28, 2020 / 6:37 am

It seems that a number of Republicans are thinking of asking for witnesses and new information. I saw it on the news yesterday. I hope they will hold fast and vote for this.

• Fandango January 28, 2020 / 10:50 pm

I’m quite skeptical that enough Republicans will defy Trump and McConnell and vote in favor of calling witnesses. Some have hinted that they might consider it, but I think they’ll all just kowtow to Trump and vote against witnesses.

• myplace3187 January 29, 2020 / 7:20 am

You might right but I pray that enough care about the US Constitution and will protect it at all costs. Like they were elected to or am I wrong my friend ?

• Fandango January 29, 2020 / 12:44 pm

I hope that as well, but if past performance is any indicator of future performance, I’m not holding my breath.

• myplace3187 January 29, 2020 / 11:12 pm

I think we will let God decide which way things will go according to his word. I think Trump as pushed his boundries to far this time.