Song Lyric Sunday — Tom, Dick, and Harry

Jim Adams asked us to look for songs “that are written or sung by someone named Tom, Dick, or Harry or a song that includes one of these names in the lyrics” for this week’s Song Lyric Sunday. So how could I possibly pass up thinking about my favorite folk rock duo, Tommy and Dickie Smothers, aka “The Smothers Brothers”?

The Smothers Brothers are American folk singers, musicians, and comedians. Tommy played acoustic guitar and Dick played the string bass. Their shtick when singing usually led to comedic arguments between the siblings. Tommy’s signature line was, “Mom always liked you best!” Tommy (the elder of the two) acted “slow,” while Dick, the straight man, acted “superior.”

According to Wikipedia, in the late 1950s and early 1960s, the brothers frequently appeared on television variety shows and issued several popular record albums of their stage performances. Their own television variety show, The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, became one of the most controversial American TV programs of the Vietnam War era. Despite popular success, the brothers’ penchant for material that was critical of the political mainstream and sympathetic to the emerging counterculture led to their firing by the CBS network in 1969. Naturally, I was a big Smothers Brothers fan.

The Smothers Brothers song I chose to feature in this post is their rather unique rendition of “They Call the Wind Mariah,” which is an American popular song with lyrics written by Alan J. Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe for their 1951 Broadway musical, Paint Your Wagon. The song is a beautiful ballad of lonely prospectors hungering for their women in the California gold rush days.

I hope you enjoy the Smothers Brothers cover of the song.

Here are the lyrics to the song.

Mariah Mariah They call the wind Mariah
Way out here they got a name for rain and wind and fire
The rain is Tess , the fire’s Joe, and they call the wind Mariah
Mariah blows the stars around, sends the clouds a’flyin?
Mariah makes the mountain sound, like folks were up there dyin’
Mar-i-ah, MARIAH !, they call the wind Mar-i-ah
Before I knew Mariah’s name and heard her wail and whining
I had a girl and she had me and the sun was always shining
But then one day I left my girl
I left her far behind me, and now I’m lost so god darn lost
not even God can find me
Mar-i-ah, MARIAH !, they call the wind Mar-i-ah
Out here they got a name for rain wind and fire only
But When you’re lost and all alone there ain’t no word but lonely
I’m a lost and lonely man without a star to guide me
Mariah, blow my love to me, I need my girl beside me
Mar-i-ah, Mariah,
They call the wind Mar-i-ah.
Mariah, Mariah blow my love to me

20 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Tom, Dick, and Harry

1. Violet Lentz January 19, 2020 / 4:46 am

Dickie Smothers! Why of course. I had never hear this song before really only remember them from Laugh In….

2. pensitivity101 January 19, 2020 / 5:33 am

I remember this from Paint Your Wagon. It’s one I can play on occasion too. Like this version Fandango.

• Fandango January 19, 2020 / 8:46 am

The Smothers Brothers were very good singers, but were very funny also. They are both still alive but are in their 80s and retired.

• pensitivity101 January 19, 2020 / 9:07 am

We had Mike and Bernie Winters over here, I think Mike played a clarinet but they relied more on comedy that singing.

3. newepicauthor January 19, 2020 / 7:44 am

I love the Smothers Brothers humor, thanks for adding this song, as it is awesome. Such great talent.

4. Lisa Coleman January 19, 2020 / 9:33 am

They were the best! I didn’t even think about them and yet we would watch them on syndication when I was a kid.

5. annieasksyou January 19, 2020 / 12:32 pm

That was a delight. I remembered enjoying their humor, but I didn’t recall their lovely voices and harmony. Thank you!

PS: I succeeded in evading the gremlins this week and successfully posted my interview with two Iowa caucus participants. They had a lot of interesting things to say.

6. Marleen January 19, 2020 / 1:32 pm

I was a Smothers Brothers fan, too.

7. msjadeli January 19, 2020 / 2:13 pm

Fandango, as an adult watching this, I have a much better appreciation of how talented (and funny and important) these two were. So glad you posted it today for the prompt.

• Fandango January 19, 2020 / 10:41 pm

Thanks, Li. They were, indeed, talented, funny, and important.

• msjadeli January 19, 2020 / 10:48 pm

Did I read that you are moving into the ‘burbs? Is this something you wanted to do, or is there another reason? Sorry if I’m being nosy, just wondering.

• Fandango January 19, 2020 / 11:00 pm

My son and his wife are expecting their first child, who will also be our first grandchild. Right now, we live about 35 miles west of them and, because we have to cross a constantly congested bridge to get to and back from their place, it takes anywhere from 60 to 90 minutes each way. My wife decided that she wants to be closer, physically, so that she can help out with child care and spend more time with the baby. So we bought a place in the East Bay that is only about 10 miles and 20 minutes from where they live. Because, you know, happy wife, happy life!

8. leigha66 January 20, 2020 / 2:08 pm

I remember seeing them on talk shows Mom would watch. I remember the “mom liked you best” part, a little of the singing and lots of the bickering. Funny guys.

• Fandango January 20, 2020 / 9:59 pm

Yes they were. They’re still around, in their 80s, and retired.