JusJoJan — Magazines

I used to subscribe to a lot of magazines. Time, Newsweek, BusinessWeek, PC Magazine, InfoWorld, Sports Illustrated, People, and, yes, I admit that, way back when, I had a subscription to Playboy.

I also have had home delivery of the local daily newspaper for as long as I can remember. I’ve always enjoyed starting my day reading the paper while sipping my first cup of coffee before starting whatever activities and adventures awaited me as the day unfolded.

But that was the way it used to be. Today, I get most of my news on my iPhone’s newsfeed or on cable news shows. Yes, I still get the morning newspaper, primarily for the sports and business sections for me and the crossword and Sudoku puzzles for my wife. But I no longer subscribe to any magazine except for one: The Week.76D5E807-9DEE-4D19-904B-2AA2CB53F29CAs its tagline suggest, The Week provides “All you need to know about everything that matters.” And it does so concisely. The current issue has only 42 pages and can be fully digested in a single day!

The Week is also nonpartisan. It generally provides all sides of the news in an objective way. So Republican or Democrat, liberal or conservative, there’s something for everyone. I recommend the magazine to everyone.

Written for Linda G. Hill’s JusJoJan prompt, where the word, contributed by Willow, is “subscribe.” Also for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (paper).

15 thoughts on “JusJoJan — Magazines

1. oneletterup January 13, 2020 / 7:09 pm

I also have a subscription to “The Week” – and enjoy it for all the same reasons! It’s a great sampling of current news.

2. robertawrites235681907 January 13, 2020 / 8:33 pm

I think I have always lived in the past. I have never read newspapers or magazines, preferring classic books and dramas even as a young girl. Now I read the news headlines as it is necessary to be abreast of current events, but I rarely read the detail. A lovely recommendation which I shall pass on to my husband.

3. slmret January 13, 2020 / 8:51 pm

The Week is the one news magazine I subscribe to — a quick summary of the week’s news that tells what happens and what are the implications, etc.

4. jetgirlcos January 13, 2020 / 11:01 pm

I have not heard of “The Week.” I’ll have to check it out. Thanks!

5. Stroke Survivor UK January 14, 2020 / 12:37 am

When I was in the US, I used to read Time and the New Yorker. Even after I came back to the UK I had ambitions to get back to NYC. You can’t get the New Yorker here, but I subscribed to Time for years.

• Marleen January 14, 2020 / 12:52 pm

You, hmm, I was going to say you can get a subscription to the New Yorker online. But I guess I’m not a hundred percent sure someone outside of the country really can. I had a subscription for online access as well as receiving the magazine in the mail. I’ve realized I really read so many different sources, though, I decided I didn’t want to continue paying for one (other than paying for cable in that not all my news is reading material). I’m glad I did support it monetarily at the time, though, as they were part of breaking the #metoo era (not that I’ve ever used a hashtag).

6. leigha66 January 14, 2020 / 6:15 pm

First I have heard of the magazine, I will have to see if BAM carries it.