Fandango’s Friday Flashback — January 10

Egads! I’ve been so focused on all of the tasks that have to be addressed between now and the time we move into our new home in early February that I completely forgot about my Friday Flashback post this week. Please forgive me for being a day late.

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of you earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember?

Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 10th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on January 10, 2014 on my old blog.

Random Questions

E5E4123F-3231-4DAE-9E8C-FA999170E829When I clean my ears with Q-tips, why is there always so much more earwax on the Q-tip I used in my right ear than on the one I used in my left ear?

Am I the only person whose finger sometime pushes through the sheet of toilet paper when wiping my butt after taking a dump?

If you can be overwhelmed and you can be underwhelmed, can you be just whelmed?

Why do women ask stupid questions like, “Do these jeans make my butt look fat?”

How many men, when asked by a woman, “Do these jeans make my butt look fat?” answer that question honestly?

Have you ever heard a man ask if his butt looks fat in his jeans?

Do Christians who deny evolution as “just a theory” also deny gravity as “just a theory”?

Am I the only one who can’t eat a pasta dish without getting at least a couple of stains from the sauce on my shirt?

Speaking about food, why do all of the foods that are not healthy for you taste so damn good while those that are good for you taste so damn awful?

If corn oil is made from corn and olive oil is made from olives, what is baby oil made from?

Is mauve really a color or is that just some sort of nonsense word that women use to make men feel stupid?

Why does hair now grow (and thrive) on parts of my body where it never grew before (and shouldn’t grow at all) and not grow at all where it used to and should, but doesn’t?

Why is it always so easy to say the things that you shouldn’t have said and so hard to say the things that you should have said?

Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?

Do all men pee while taking a shower, or is it just me?

Do women pee while taking a shower, or is that too uncouth and not lady-like?

What do you say when someone says you’re in denial, but you’re not?

If a woman wears a pair of pants, a pair of gloves, and a pair of earrings, why doesn’t she wear a pair of bras?

Has anyone ever been fooled by a comb-over?

Why do you get on a train and on a bus, but you get into a car?

19 thoughts on “Fandango’s Friday Flashback — January 10

1. Stroke Survivor UK January 11, 2020 / 4:03 am

Just your last point…we’re quite easygoing in English, but not so other languages. When I was learning French, I learned that if I was travelling “en train” [by train], then that was fine. But if I was travelling “sur un train” [on a train], I would be very weird indeed because I would actually be sitting/standing on the roof of the train 🙂.

btw, I was planning on posting Flashbacks (because they’re a good idea) and Who Won (because I’m an opinionated old fart) in any case.

2. newepicauthor January 11, 2020 / 8:45 am

You need to double up at minimum on the sheets of toilet paper, as I use double ply and roll out at least 8 sheets and then fold this in half twice. OK you will need to flush after 3 wipes, so you don’t have to grab the plunger. Christians are as smart as atheists, as I am a Christian and I believe in evolution and I also probably know more about gravity than most other people do.

3. Marleen January 11, 2020 / 9:25 am

Does this hold new meaning?

4. shail January 11, 2020 / 9:36 am

That’s a lot of questions you have here. There was a time when I used to ask my husband, ‘Am I as fat as …that woman?’. And then I simply forgot about the whole thing till one day he asked me, ‘How come you never ask me that question nowadays?’ I was like, ‘Eh, which question?’ 😀

Here’s a link to a post of mine from the same day as yours was posted.

• Marleen January 11, 2020 / 11:21 am

I don’t think I’ve ever asked the question of whether my butt looks fat… even though one of my (close) cousins teased me about having a fat butt when we were teens. Another of my cousins — I heard years after the fact — got mad at her husband when he said her butt was a little fat (I’m thinking maybe more like phatt😘) after she’d had a baby (he probably didn’t get his point across); that cousin is ten or fifteen years older than I, so grew up during the years being super-skinny was even more hyped (and probably drilled deep into her psyche). They ended up divorced (over a far more consequential topic), and he married someone with more meat on her bones (and less of a career). My husband once asked me if I thought, (?)how did he word it… I don’t remember… he asked what I thought of my butt. I said I had gotten (like in the last month) too skinny and needed to eat more (and I did so). I didn’t ask him what he thought, even then. (And he didn’t say.) I might’ve been especially unlikely to ask at the time, it being the start of an especially stressful time. (Although I put on a little in the short term, I then lost significantly more for a while. This was all bothersome, since I’d almost always maintained an even weight in my life.)

5. annieasksyou January 11, 2020 / 8:18 pm

There’s a Henny Youngman quality to your random questions.—though I guess most of your readers won’t know who the hell he was.

I am taking advantage of Flashback Friday to try to redress a series of techie nightmares that really screwed up my post today, confusing readers and wasting people’s time with an empty file. Here’s the right one:

Hope you’re doing well with your juggling act.

• Fandango January 11, 2020 / 11:19 pm

Henry Youngman’s trademark line: “Take my wife…please.” Right now I’m spending my days purging stuff I don’t want to have hauled over to the new place, some of which will be donated to Goodwill, some I will try to sell on Craigslist, and other stuff will go to “100-Got-Junk?”

6. leigha66 January 12, 2020 / 4:55 pm

All very valid questions. You should ask your ear doctor why there is more wax in one side than the other. There may be a perfectly scientific reason for it. I didn’t think about FFF until I read yours just now… I will try to catch it next week on Friday.