Dark Days

These are dark days in the United States.

I am reminded of it on a daily basis as I read the latest news or watch it on TV.

I wish I had some magic wand. One that I could wave and wash away what has become of our country over the past three years, since Donald Trump ascended to what he certainly perceives to be his throne.

I travel down memory lane to saner times, where political norms weren’t obliterated every day, and where partisanship trumps and patriotism.

I think of that portrait of Barack Obama, the one that says “Yes, We Can” and it’s makes me sad.Obama Yes We CanI wonder how we so quickly became the “No, We Won’t” nation under the “leadership” of Donald Trump and Mitch McConnell.

No matter how things turn out, I will never feel forgiveness for those who have stood idly by, pretending that nothing abnormal or out-of-the-ordinary is happening in America, and who have enabled Trump to do whatever he wants to do.

Okay. Rant over.

For now.

Written for these daily prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (dark), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (daily), Daily Addictions (wash), Ragtag Daily Prompt (memory lane), Your Daily Word Prompt (portrait), and The Daily Spur (forgiveness).

38 thoughts on “Dark Days

1. Kathy Lauren Miller December 15, 2019 / 5:35 pm

I am with you on this…I won’t be able to forgive those who are enabling him, and those Americans who support him. I just hope sane Americans will vote this thug out of office, and his cronies with him.

• Fandango December 15, 2019 / 10:10 pm

I hope so, too. But I’m worried that if that does happen and he loses the election, he won’t go off quietly into the night. I hate to think about what would happen then. 😕

2. Sadje December 15, 2019 / 6:02 pm

Sad times indeed. It’s more on the head of those who stand and stay silent than those who do.

3. shail December 15, 2019 / 6:10 pm

I could have sworn you were talking of the situation here in India. Oh well, it’s the same I guess, only the names are different. The dark days started in 2014 for us.

• Fandango December 15, 2019 / 10:17 pm

I think you’re right. Were it not for McConnell’s total support of Trump, Trump could not get away with everything he’s done. McConnell is a traitor to our country.

• annieasksyou December 16, 2019 / 8:12 am

AG Barr also plays a starring role in this national tragedy. I hope you’ll have a chance to read my most recent post:”OBFUS-GATE: An Exploration of Our National Crisis (Even Worse: It’s in Verse!”). And near the bottom of the comments, I respond to Nan about Mitch and my ongoing concern.

4. Stroke Survivor UK December 16, 2019 / 12:31 am

Sorry, Fandango, but you’re possibly wearing your rose-tinted glasses today? Maybe a reflection of how far the US public was prepared to go, but a lot of us feel Obama let us down on the environment.

• Fandango December 16, 2019 / 8:38 am

Obama was far from perfect, but compared to Trump, he was a saint.

• Stroke Survivor UK December 16, 2019 / 9:06 am

One of the reasons Corbyn was just rejected here was because he was seen as too Left. Nationalise this, nationalise that. Too much too soon. I think there is a balance to be struck there in terms of how much/how quickly voters will accept change. Much as I disliked Tony Blair I think if the Left ever want to gain power again, it’ll be through somebody like that. Blair did leave some good legacies like a minimum wage etc. I put Obama in the same place. Obama was sure better at foreign policy though.

5. KC December 16, 2019 / 6:04 am

Ya know…I usually stay out of the fray but since the times we’re in (worldwide) is so perplexing to me I have to wonder if there’s something I’m not seeing or understanding because all the components of character & values that are catapulting to the forefront seem so obviously wrong, backward, hateful in position to what – I would think – MOST people want for themselves and others. I’d very much like to understand where supporters of these actions are coming from, what about all of this is ‘okay’? When I put myself in the place of Trump supporters and try to see what they “gain” from all this – all I see is the ( I hate to say it ) “us against them”…in other words, a DESIRE for a division among people that place some in a position of superiority, power, advancement & control over others. It’s not about economics or education or housing or jobs or environment (or patriotism) – it seems to be all about control vs freedom. That’s what it boils down to. And I am seriously objective about this (I’m not on a “side” – I’m considering not even voting; I can’t tolerate ANY of them!) – because there HAS to be ONE visceral reason if the problem is universal and not just the USA. Frankly, I think the human population is insane…some insidious viral phenomenon that is driving us to the brink of mass genocide.

• Fandango December 16, 2019 / 8:45 am

I think it comes down to money and power. I would encourage you to vote, even if you vote for the so-called “lesser of two evils.” And I agree with you that the human species is on a collision course with catastrophe.

• KC December 16, 2019 / 10:33 am

How do half of the population (of this country) gain money and power?? I understand that’s the objective of the 1% or those close to that circle but it still doesn’t explain the unwavering loyalty of ‘the base’.

• Fandango December 16, 2019 / 11:29 am

Somehow Trump, the ultimate conman and snake oil salesman, convinced the masses and the relatively undereducated white males that he would bring back their jobs and bring America back to the 1950s, which he has not delivered. And he convinced big business that he would be pro-large corporations and that he would benefit them and the ultra-rich with big tax cuts, which he delivered. But they all still hang on Trump’s every word, believe every lie he tells, and watch only Fox News.

• KC December 16, 2019 / 11:34 am

hmmm. Maybe he just needs more time
            😉

sorry…couldn’t resist.

• Fandango December 16, 2019 / 11:41 am

The more time he gets, the more damage he does! 😕

• KC December 16, 2019 / 12:55 pm

Yes, I agree, but the ‘damage’ is done. He has revealed a very ugly, dangerous and LARGE population of people who will not stop now regardless of who ‘wins’ the next election. But I can pretend optimism and hope for the best.

• annieasksyou December 16, 2019 / 10:09 am

It seems to me you have made a strong case for voting against what Trump and his supporters stand for. The Democrats have passed hundreds of bills for things the majority of Americans want—but Mitch McConnell won’t bring them to a vote in the Senate.

If you don’t vote, you are supporting Trump and all he stands for. There’s a reason so many Republicans are retiring. Our democracy is in danger now. I hope you’ll try to cut through the deliberate falsehoods that are being tossed about to confuse us and vote wisely. Your vote truly matters.

• KC December 16, 2019 / 10:38 am

Personally I don’t find “the democrats” any better – or maybe only slightly ‘better’ – than republicans…if we are going to speak in terms of generalities (and not as individuals). I will probably vote only because, thus far, I can…who knows how long that will last. But…I DO NOT feel good about it…either way, I’ll feel embarrassed by whom I ‘chose’.

• Fandango December 16, 2019 / 11:33 am

Less corrupt is better than more corrupt, and Trump and his Republican cronies couldn’t be more corrupt. Not voting for whoever the Democratic candidate is is effectively voting for Trump.

• annieasksyou December 16, 2019 / 12:24 pm

And, I submit, not voting for Democrats in the House and Senate would—in the scary event that trump is re-elected—give a lawless president free rein (and reign, as he feels he’s above the law) to further decimate our small d democratic institutions.

We have never see the Democrats come close to this level of corruption—not to mention play fast and loose with our national security. There’s a reason so many of trump’s minions are behind bars now.

• Marleen December 16, 2019 / 12:36 pm

There’s a reason so many of trump’s minions are behind bars now.

Bingo! But both his followers and his more knowledgeable sycophants keep talking like nothing has come of the investigations. They just straight up lie, counting on enough people to be ignorant.

• Marleen December 23, 2019 / 6:35 pm

From the link: The question I tried to answer [in the book] is why did Democrats with power screw up so badly? And how can we not do that again? That’s a really important question to have right now because we see a lot of the same trends, the rise in autocratic and fascist movements all over the world….

This isn’t meant to say Democrats are worse, but that Democrats are the ones expected (or hoped) to stand against the abuses of big business (or crony capitalism) and to stand for democracy and the people. Too many have been influenced to move right (rather than left)… to make Republicans happy with them.

• Marleen December 24, 2019 / 5:34 am

[an hour and almost thirty-seven minutes]

ANTITRUST AND COMPETITION CONFERENCE
      Part 5 Day One Panel Three

“The Big Five and Political Power”

This also goes into some deep history.
      Our revolution may have been against a
      king, but it was also against a monopoly ~
      The East India Company ~ a threat to liberty.

6. Marleen December 25, 2019 / 11:38 pm

[Trump’s current (not jailed yet) lawyer] Rudy Giuliani’s UNHINGED Interview …