Thursday Inspiration — The City

For my entire life, from the day I was born and probably until the day I die, I have lived either in a major city or in the close-in suburbs of one. I’ve never lived in the country or in a rural area. And, not to disparage those who do live the country life, I have no desire to do so. I’m a city boy.

I’ve lived in New Jersey, just across the Hudson River from Manhattan. I’ve lived in Washington, DC. I’ve lived outside of Los Angeles, in Dallas, near Philadelphia, Chicago, Boston, and now in San Francisco.

I do love San Francisco, but every single city I’ve lived in or near had so much to offer, from culture to entertainment to cuisine to convenience. And, in my case, to employment opportunities.

Now I’m retired and my wife is making noises about possibly moving to the countryside. Well, as long as we’re within relatively easy reach of a big city, I might consider it, the operative word being “might.”

Why am I sharing this with you today? I was inspired by Paula Light and her Thursday Inspiration prompt with the theme “city.”

13 thoughts on “Thursday Inspiration — The City

1. Stroke Survivor UK December 14, 2019 / 10:10 am

Many people want to be closer to medical services, especially as they get older. You wife is working in reverse!

• Marleen December 14, 2019 / 12:37 pm

My mom had her first somewhat serious stay in a hospital last month. She will be eighty years old in January. She had taken her sister to a doctor visit and mentioned her own tired feeling while she was there (on a Wednesday). The nurse sent her (not her sister) to a hospital for having wheezing in her breathing. Once there, she was told they were going to shock her heart on Tuesday — for AFib(?). She didn’t want that and got herself checked out of there on Sunday.

• Stroke Survivor UK December 14, 2019 / 12:55 pm

I believe an irregular heartbeat is quite easily corrected, but I’m not an expert. I’ve got a funny feeling Tony Blair something similar, while still in power. Scary, the older I get, the more I realise I don’t know. I hope your mom is doing okay.

• Marleen December 14, 2019 / 1:47 pm

Yeah, I think it’s not necessarily a big deal. I was just now reading a little about it. It can be brought on by having an infection like flu or pneumonia. I got sick while I was there, and I think she might’ve had something like that without saying so. Anyway, she was given four prescriptions. She had only gotten two of them filled when I got there… a diuretic and … I don’t remember what the other o… oh, something for high blood pressure. I went and filled the prescriptions for potassium chloride and the item she thought was too expensive… a blood thinner.

But then she wouldn’t take the blood thinner because she had the notion the doctor should’ve prescribed a different blood thinner. She’s never taken a blood thinner before.

I don’t know that she’s doing well. She said she’s thinking of not getting together with her sorority sisters any more because they’re “decrepit.” (That’s an overstatement.)

She also said untrue things about my dad (who died almost three years ago — not that she wasn’t already dishonest), and a number of other rather bizarre things.

• Stroke Survivor UK December 14, 2019 / 2:06 pm

Hey, at her age, one for BP ain’t bad. I’m on 5 per day and I’m only 51. Most of those are max dose as well.
            They put people on a blood thinner pretty much automatically here after a stroke, so I’m on one of those too.

• Marleen December 14, 2019 / 5:49 pm

I hope she will take the blood thinner.
              She is doing amazingly well, physically.

As for where she lives, she has to deal with
              some complex roads to get much of anywhere
              beyond her sister’s condo or a church she joined.

2. parkermccoy December 14, 2019 / 2:22 pm

I’ve lived in the country for much of my life but I recently moved back into town, although I’m not in a big city. The country is nice for space and peace but it’s easy to get bored there. I live right down the street from a grocery store now which is awesome. I love being able to get fresh food anytime I want. Great post!

• Fandango December 14, 2019 / 10:25 pm

Thanks. Yes, I’m spoiled. I can walk to three grocery stores, a bunch of smaller convenience stores, and tons of restaurants. I rarely have to drive anymore. It’s great.

• parkermccoy December 14, 2019 / 10:59 pm

That is great, considering the cost of modern cars. I’m not willing to take out a second mortgage to get a freaking car. I don’t know how people do it. Ha. Sounds like you’re in a good place. Success!

3. JT Twissel December 14, 2019 / 3:44 pm

I think unless you move to a friendly, walkable town, city life offers you more. Our town is small and mostly quiet – although the Airbnb Halloween shoot-out was just down the street from us! But we can hop on the BART and be in the city in fifteen minutes. If we don’t get mugged that is. There are parts of San Fran that have a small town neighborhood.