Fandango’s Provocative Question #51

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

My provocative question today is about blogging etiquette.

I am probably guilty of what language maven Ben Zimmer refers to as “peeveblogging.” According to Zimmer, peeveblogging occurs when a blogger (e.g., me) uses his or her blog to vent about language, usage, punctuation, and grammatical faux pas. So yes, I admit to being a peeveblogger. A proud peeveblogger, at that.

Erin McKean, who used to contribute to a weekly language column, “The Word,” for the Sunday Boston Globe, wrote a column about a decade ago entitled “Correctiquette.” Ms. McKean took a shot at people like me. In that column she wrote, “If the person’s meaning is perfectly clear, realize that what you’re really criticizing is their style — and style, or taste, is pointless to argue over.”

When it comes to pointing out grammatical or usage mistakes of others, McKean wrote, “Be honest with yourself: do you really care about helping the other person, or do you just want the thrill of being right?”

So this leads me to today’s provocative question.

If people find typos or grammatical, punctuation, spelling, or usage errors in your posts, do you welcome having them pointed out to you, or do you resent it. As a blogger do you let people know about such mistakes or do you just let them go?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

The issue with pingbacks not showing up seems to have been resolved, but you might check to confirm that your pingback is there. If not, please manually add your link in the comments.

18 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #51

1. Stroke Survivor UK December 4, 2019 / 3:35 am

I probably won’t have time today to post on this, but in short, I let it go every time. There might be very good reasons why somebody makes those mistakes and in any case, language is just a tool we use to convey information, we should be careful not to end up with it governing us.
    I grant you that having a better grasp of the language allows us to communicate more effectively, but if somebody has a poor grasp of language, that is a problem for them, it shouldn’t be one for me.

• Christine Bolton December 4, 2019 / 5:25 am

Well said. As much as it irks us, we have to rise above it. Who wants to be a know-it-all anyway? I once lived next door to an elementary school teacher who used to talk to me like one of her class students, average age 6. I don’t know how I kept my temper. I pitied her poor husband.

2. ajeanneinthekitchen December 4, 2019 / 6:16 am

I appreciate the corrections as long as they are done constructively. We all make mistakes. I usually don;t point them out to others though.

3. pensitivity101 December 4, 2019 / 12:43 pm

It’s not just bloggers that are grammatically challenged. I may find it annoying but know I’m probably guilty too, so don’t make an issue of it!

• Fandango December 4, 2019 / 1:36 pm

Next time I’ll ask if you want my question with or without cheese. 😉

4. Marleen December 4, 2019 / 1:51 pm

I found it odd when I once responded in someone’s (someone else’s) blog, where the person had (as his subject matter) addressed the topic of grammar/usage/spelling. I responded to give another example, which he proceeded to use incorrectly. And did on a regular basis, so I left it alone.

5. leigha66 December 6, 2019 / 9:20 pm

I have let a couple of bloggers know of errors. A lot of times I just think they are a victim of auto correct. I welcome any and all assistance to get my blog right.