In One Ear And Out The Other

In one ear out the otherI’ve always thought of the expression “in one ear and out the other” as an unkind way of saying that someone either doesn’t pay attention to what they’re hearing or has an inability to retain information. In other words, what they hear is essentially ignored, dismissed, or forgotten almost immediately after being heard.

These days, though, I would love to be able to hear things and have them go in one ear and out the other. Allow me to explain.

Since early October, I have had the sensation that my left ear is clogged and my head is stuffy. I can barely hear out of that ear, and it’s quite annoying. So I went to an ear, nose, and throat specialist last month, which I posted about here. Turns out I have an abnormal, noncancerous skin growth in the middle section of my ear, behind my eardrum, and I’m going to need surgery to remove that growth. Ugh.

The surgery to correct this issue is not scheduled until the end of December, right before the new year. Normally I would not be looking forward to having surgery on my head. But I’m also sick of the full, stuffed up feeling I’ve had inside my head for more than a month. And now I’ve got to wait almost another month to have it fixed. With my left ear clogged, most of the sounds I do hear come in from the right ear. Loud street noises, like sirens and the deep rumblings of large trucks and buses, get caught in my head and seem to rattle around inside my head, ricocheting from neuron to neuron with no way to escape. And that drives me crazy.

It’s also driving my wife crazy because I keep asking “What did you say?” whenever she says something to me.

All I want is to hear through both of my ears equally again without my head feeling all stuffed up. If the surgery is successful, that will be the case. And then I’ll be quite content to hear things go in one ear and out the other.

16 thoughts on “In One Ear And Out The Other

1. lifelessons December 3, 2019 / 3:25 pm

We are so lucky to have the advantage of medical care for our needs. I remind myself of this when I’m feeling sorry for myself for maladies. Talking about myself.. not you! You are being stoic. Best of luck with your procedure.

2. newepicauthor December 3, 2019 / 4:14 pm

That growth sounds really bad, but I guess it is better than having nothing between your ears. Seriously, best of luck with your surgery.

• Sadje December 3, 2019 / 10:06 pm

You’re welcome. Hope it’s goes smoothly. Meanwhile enjoy not hearing what you don’t want to. 😻

3. Lisa Chesser December 3, 2019 / 6:33 pm

I know how you feel, but I have an imbalance that can’t be fixed with surgery. I hope they can help you.

• Fandango December 3, 2019 / 7:49 pm

Vertigo? I have that, as well as tinnitus. Good luck with your imbalance issue.

4. Marleen December 3, 2019 / 10:57 pm

So, I’m glad you’re looking forward to it. I hope it goes well.

5. Stroke Survivor UK December 4, 2019 / 12:40 am

Your wife should be praising you for wanting to pay attention! The alternative is that it just bounces off.

6. Jerry Brotherton December 4, 2019 / 6:54 am

Praying that all goes well for you my friend and soon you will be back to normal (well as close to normal as you can be anyway).