The Monday Peeve — Weather Apps

iPhone weather app logoMy wife and I had just finished watching the final, season two episode of Tom Clancy’s Jack Ryan on Amazon Prime last night, which is a very good series if you can stream Amazon Prime shows. Anyway, it was about 9 pm and time for me to take our dog out on her final walk of the day. It had been raining on and off all day long so I got up and looked out of the window to see if it was raining. The sidewalk out front was wet, of course, but I didn’t see any sign of rain.

I opened up my iPhone’s weather app and it told me that it was currently cloudy and no more rain was expected until midnight. Then, just to double check, I opened two other weather apps I had downloaded. Accuweather told me that there would be no rain for at least the next 120 minutes. And my Weather Underground app assured me that I needn’t worry about rain until around 11:45 pm.

And so armed with three professional weather forecasts, I got my dog into her harness, attached her leash, and, leaving my umbrella behind, we set out on our walk.

We were about half way through the typical 20-25 minute walk when the downpour began. We sought shelter in an alcove in front of a small apartment building. I was hoping to wait out the deluge, but after about 10 minutes, my dog was getting antsy, so we braved the rain.

Needless to say, we were both drenched by the time we got back home. And I was pissed.

But it’s a new day and my wife and I I need to hit the grocery store today. Fortunately my weather app says no rain until 3 pm. And it’s only 12:30, so this is a good time to….

WTF!? It’s pouring out!

My Monday peeve is directed at smartphone weather apps, which are neither very smart nor very accurate.

Written for Paula Light’s The Monday Peeve prompt.TMP

9 thoughts on “The Monday Peeve — Weather Apps

1. Stroke Survivor UK December 2, 2019 / 1:03 pm

Hahaha, I used to have my own weather station – few hundred dollar piece of kit – and I’m sure wunderground was one of the sites I used to upload to. I’m not sure I’d trust it. The one I use is WeatherPro, but I pay a small subscription.

2. Paula Light December 2, 2019 / 1:56 pm

It’s supposed to rain Friday and Saturday when I’m moving… hope they are wrong about that too!

3. Taswegian1957 December 2, 2019 / 2:15 pm

I think weather apps are a bit like horoscopes. Fun to read but don’t rely on them.

4. Sadje December 2, 2019 / 6:31 pm

Ha ha. This is so unfair to you. Getting drenched in winters is risky. But never trust the tech too much. Haven’t you heard of Murphy’s law! If you don’t have an umbrella ☔️ it’s sure to rain.

5. Marilyn Armstrong December 2, 2019 / 10:13 pm

THAT is part of climate change. Forecasts are more like good guesses than anything scientific. it’s very difficult here, but weather here is always difficult. it’s just worse now.

6. leigha66 December 3, 2019 / 8:48 pm

Meteorology is the only job you can be wrong 80% of the time and still get paid.