Counterculture Art

SurrealOdd,” Errol said, as he pondered the painting. “It’s a big zero. It makes me feel totally empty.”

“But you’re suppose to be this world famous art critic,” Marianne said. “Are you saying this piece does nothing for you?”

“Yes that’s what I’m saying — it does nothing for me but inflict a lot of artistic angst,” Errol said. “It lacks subtlety, it’s in your face, literally.”

“But aren’t you intrigued by its surreal nature?” Marianne asked. “Don’t you find it in any way bounteous in form or function?”

“I do enjoy your naïveté,” Errol said. “Please tell me what it is that you find intriguing about this painting.”

“To me, it is fascinating, in that it has an almost tropical feel to it,” Marianne said. “And, there is something mesmerizing ….”

Marianne’s observations about the painting were interrupted by a commotion at the entrance to the gallery. A nattily dressed black man walked up to Errol and Marianne. He stood nose-to-nose in front of Errol. “I am Victor and I understand you’re not fond of my work of art. I call it ‘EMO Kid.’ You are clearly too old and too out of touch to be an art critic if you have no appreciation for the new, American counterculture.”

Written for today’s Three Things Challenge from Di at Pensitivity101, where the three things are “odd,” “enjoy,” and “tell.” Also for today’s Fandango’s Flash Fiction Challenge. Also for these daily prompts: Ragtag Daily Prompt (ponder), Word of the Day Challenge (zero), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (inflict), Your Daily Word Prompt (bounteous), Daily Addictions (tropical), and The Daily Spur (entrance).

9 thoughts on “Counterculture Art

1. newepicauthor December 2, 2019 / 8:15 pm

I am not an art critic, but tropical is the last thing that I see.

• Fandango December 2, 2019 / 9:31 pm

It was a stretch to fit that prompt word in there, but you know, eye of the beholder. 😏

2. Sadje December 2, 2019 / 10:08 pm

Good take on the photo. I think it’s a first that you have written for your own Prompt! 👏👏👏

• Fandango December 2, 2019 / 11:03 pm

You’re right, it is my first time responding to my own photo challenge prompt. But so far, no one, other than me, used this strange image for their post. Everyone else used the four men on horses. So I figured why not be the odd man out and write a post about that other image.

• Sadje December 3, 2019 / 1:46 am

I have written a story/ poem. Will be published tomorrow. It is an intriguing image.

3. leigha66 December 3, 2019 / 9:21 pm

Great take on the photo. “EMO Kid” huh? I think that is an apt name for it.