SoCS — What’s In YOUR Mailbox?

57493DD2-FB35-4435-83BC-CF42B85998C0For this week’s Stream of Consciousness Saturday prompt, Linda G. Hill has asked us to “look at the latest ad you got in the mail (if it’s a store flyer, choose the product right in the middle of the page) or choose the next online ad you find, and theme your post on whatever the product is.”

Before I get into this, I would like to pay homage to our mail carriers, who, for the next month, will be loaded down with thick, heavy Christmas catalogs, which they will be delivering to our homes. I’ve already gotten a number of such catalogs, and they almost always go directly from my mailbox to my recycling bin.

But this post is not going to focus on those holiday catalogs. It’s Medicare open enrollment season. It started on October 15th and runs through December 7th. Medicare open enrollment gives Medicare recipients the opportunity to review their medical and prescription drug coverage and make sure the plans they subscribe to best meet their needs.

My wife and I have hospital, doctor, and prescription drug coverage through Medicare. Because Medicare has deductibles and coinsurance that we’d have to pay out-of-pocket, we purchase Medicare supplement plans to reimburse us for those out-of-pocket costs. We also buy so-called “Medigap” plans for dental and vision services, which Medicare doesn’t cover.

So, with that background, I will finally get to Linda’s challenge. I’m going to talk about the plethora of flyers we receive from various Medicare Advantage, Medicare Supplement, and Medigap providers, each trying to persuade us that their plans provide the best benefits at the lowest costs of all such plans.

Just in today’s mail we got flyers from United Healthcare, Anthem, Kaiser, Stanford Health, Sutter Health, and AARP. It’s enough to make my head spin, and I’m not talking about my vertigo condition.

I’m not going to go into the details of these plans, but I will say that I’m fortunate that my career involved understanding employee benefit programs, including healthcare plans. Thus, I am able to grasp what these flyers and brochures are all about.

But I feel sorry for all of the seniors around America who are being inundated by these materials and are clueless when it comes to figuring out which choices would be the best for them.

Good luck old people!

12 thoughts on “SoCS — What’s In YOUR Mailbox?

1. Sadje November 23, 2019 / 3:14 am

Too much irrelevant information confuses most people.

2. Stroke Survivor UK November 23, 2019 / 3:31 am

Learning all the time. So is this a “window” then? After that, you’re locked into whatever you choose?

• Stroke Survivor UK November 23, 2019 / 3:37 am

And, I have already been through my email this morning but one has just arrived from Audible – some two for one offer. Given I have zero and hace no intention of buying more, I’m out straight away!

3. Maggie November 23, 2019 / 5:30 am

We are both inundated with those things. Funny thing is each carrier offers the same plan Part XYZ packages mandated by the government. I do not look forward to receiving this junk mail every year for the rest of my life!

4. Suze November 23, 2019 / 8:10 am

you are actually pretty danged lucky. In OK we have ONE choice of a medicare advantage plan. we don’t have “medicare” as our choice because we CAN’T AFFORD IT! It’s annoying beyond belief. Thank GOD the VA sends George’s rx’s each three months, as we can’t afford the RX plan we’d have to purchase as a secondary supplement. instead we had to go with a plan that has no rx coverage..oh we have dental hearing and eyes, because they know those things are never used as much as the RX plans.

• Fandango November 23, 2019 / 10:07 am

In California there are so many plans available that it’s hard to make a choice. It’s a case of analysis paralysis.

5. rugby843 November 23, 2019 / 8:56 am

What bothers me most is all the trees wasted in their efforts.

• Fandango November 23, 2019 / 10:10 am

Indeed! But perhaps there’s a belief that oldsters aren’t web savvy and need to have paper materials in order to know what their choices are.

6. newepicauthor November 23, 2019 / 10:53 am

I will be really happy when December 7th gets here and I don’t have to be bombarded with all of those Medicare open enrollment commercials anymore.

7. Laura November 23, 2019 / 7:48 pm

The weight of all those catalogs is mind boggling. At least the bevy of Medicare info is helpful.