Fandango’s Provocative Question #49

FPQWelcome once again to Fandango’s Provocative Question. Each week I will pose what I think is a provocative question for your consideration.

My provocative question today is a follow up to my Friday Flashback post from this past week. I featured a nine-year-old post from an old, now defunct blog of mine, that referenced a survey claiming that 37% of Americans believed in the existence of ghosts. Curious about that stat, I wanted to find out, nine years later, if more than one-third of Americans still believe in ghosts.

I was surprised to come across this chart, which suggests that today, 45% of Americans believe in ghosts.1921E7D8-E95F-43A4-92A1-380BE3AD91A3So that is what precipitated this week’s provocative question. I am asking you, my readers, who are not just Americans, but who come from all around the world, to answer this question:

Do you believe in ghosts? If so, how would you define or describe these beings and what makes you believe they exist? Have you had any personal experiences with ghosts?

If you choose to participate, write a post with your response to the question. Once you are done, tag your post with #FPQ and create a pingback to this post if you are on WordPress. Or you can simply include a link to your post in the comments.

The issue with pingbacks not showing up seems to have been resolved, but you might check to confirm that your pingback is there. If not, please manually add your link in the comments.

43 thoughts on “Fandango’s Provocative Question #49

1. Paula Light November 20, 2019 / 6:28 am

This is such an easy and quick one for me that there’s no need for a post (in which I would likely be unnecessarily rude anyway)… NO! I do not believe in ghosts or any supernatural silliness of whatever kind. 👻😈

2. ajeanneinthekitchen November 20, 2019 / 6:29 am

I definitely believe in ghosts and the paranormal. There are too many things that happen that cannot otherwise be explained. From what i understand, everything is energy, and that energy does not go away when someone dies, but it has to go somewhere. I believe this energy helps explain paranormal activities, ghosts, poltergeists, etc.

• Fandango November 20, 2019 / 8:36 am

Have you ever had any personal experiences with ghosts or other paranormal entities?

• ajeanneinthekitchen November 20, 2019 / 12:31 pm

I have. A few times. the last time was last year, at the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO. We stayed on the 4th floor, which was known as the nursery. Around 11:00 PM or so, I heard a nannie singing to children “You Are My Sunshine” and heard children playing in the halls. No one was there. It was so cool.

3. Marleen November 20, 2019 / 11:39 am

I’m going to start with this (quoted below, from a different topic on the 18th), and probably have more to add.

MARLEEN
    As for a soul, I recently heard that someone I know thinks that noone has a soul… until said person dies. He’s a Christian. I’m wondering if he came up with this, or if anyone else has ever heard of a history of such an idea.

FANDANGO
    I’ve never heard that theory, but I’m certainly not an expert.

• Marleen November 20, 2019 / 12:06 pm

I’ve been looking around, some. This is the most I’ve been able to come up with so far. (I don’t recommend linking to the course or further information, as a message per not being secure comes up. Actually, I now see even this first page says it’s not secure.)

The sensation of freedom from the corporeal body marks a shift to a new state. This new state, however, is still not death, neither is it spirituality nor eternity.

According to Kabbalah, it is purely psychological. Whatever we feel in such states is limited and miniscule compared to the sensations of eternity and wholeness, which Kabbalah states we can attain a lot more vividly while we’re still alive in this world.

How? It is by attaining our soul.

WHAT IS THE SOUL? DOES IT BELONG TO OUR BODY? DOES THE BODY’S DEATH MARK THE SOUL’S BIRTH, OR CAN WE ATTAIN OUR SOUL WHILE WE’RE ALIVE?

According to Kabbalah, the soul is not something we enter after our body’s death. Instead, it is something we need to attain a clear perception and sensation of while we’re alive.

(I’m also not “recommending” Kabbalah; I haven’t read or studied it in depth. Likely, there have been excerpts here and there in my life.)

• Fandango November 20, 2019 / 1:29 pm

I personally don’t believe in the concept of a soul that persists after our physical body ceases to exist. It’s over when it’s over and whatever lives on is the memory of you from those you have known while you were alive.

• Marleen November 20, 2019 / 1:54 pm

I know. And I don’t personally believe what the person I know believes (or is said to believe). I was glad to find something that at least acknowledges some people think it (while the source I shared doesn’t believe what that other person does).

At the same time that I would say I’m in more agreement with the link source than I am with the person I know, I agree with neither fully.

• aguycalledbloke November 21, 2019 / 1:09 am

“”whatever lives on is the memory of you from those you have known while you were alive.””

See that – which you have written? This is essence, the essence l was referring to – ghostly imapct – is ‘displacement of the essence’.

• Fandango November 21, 2019 / 9:04 am

But what I was talking about was the memories OTHER people have of a person, not what exists of the person after death. Those might reflect the “essence” of the person (i. e., who the person was in the minds of those who knew him or her), but as to the deceased person, he or she is gone, and there is nothing of that person who continues to exist outside of the memories of others. At least that’s what I believe.

• aguycalledbloke November 21, 2019 / 9:20 am

We are on the same subject just at different levels Fandango.

You call them ‘memories’ okay, let’s work with that – l call your memories an ‘essence a trace if you wish – sometimes refer to them as an energy others might call them lifeforce or soul – everyone has a different interpretation.

People have beliefs and with those beliefs they can create or not, anything they choose in their mind. Belief next to hope, is mighty powerful.

When you get negative essence or energies with regards belief, fear and guilt a lot of things can manifest in addition to that.

Years ago, l went ghost hunting, basically chasing a lot of bumps in the night, pranks and all sorts of things – but there were things l did se at that time l couldn’t explain but as l aged and studied more, l stopped ghost hunting because l discovered that there was more to it than people think – but it’s NOT what people think – it’s what they believe and with that belief what they can conjure up to not just not their eyes but to others.

I will write about this in time – there is more logic in my belief than you might think, but equally l have much of which l can’t explain, no one can, there are no answers yet from either scientists or believers – the truth is – there are things we can’t explain yet and maybe never, maybe some things are not meant to have an explanation.

But on the other side to me, scientific and sceptic logic out of the way – l have this gift of being able to sense things – that’s all l am saying, l sense things like the phrase l see dead people, but what l see is a lingering essence or a lingering memory that is displaced.

That’s what l believe and work with.

• Fandango November 21, 2019 / 4:01 pm

I will need to give this comment some deep thought, and then I will respond.

4. Bill November 20, 2019 / 12:19 pm

Am I to write a post about why my answer is no? Even as a teenager, I had no issue with visiting one of the local cemeteries, alone, late a night. As a young child, I did believe it because some people told me they existed. I got over that.
    Never met one. Not even a friendly Casper or poltergeist.

• Fandango November 20, 2019 / 1:31 pm

“Am I to write a post about why my answer is no?” That’s up to you. You answered the core question in your comment, but if you care to elaborate with your own post on your blog, feel free to do so.

5. Marleen November 20, 2019 / 12:36 pm

As for vampires, there is no such thing except in a tangential sense of criminal activity.

6. rugby843 November 21, 2019 / 10:40 am

I do believe in spirits. I have had three encounters with them. Now don’t laugh. My three sisters and I were in FL to attend my father’s wedding three years after my mom passed away. We were sitting in a restaurant waiting for them to come in— it was a surprise for my dad. As we waited we all got this strange feeling there was something there with us. After I admitted it to one of them in the restroom, she said she felt the same. Returning to the table, the other two were discussing it. We all agreed it must be our mom’s spirit telling us it was all okay. We accepted it. For a while all was good, however, turned out years after to be my dad’s downfall in his relationship with all of us.

7. Marleen November 21, 2019 / 2:51 pm

I have never had an interaction with or been influenced by any ghost/ghosts in the sense of demons, angels, or disembodied spirits of humans. (I agree that spirits of humans aren’t the same thing/s as demons or angels, by the way.) Additionally, I believe we are not to seek any interaction… with any of these.

Also, in my daily life, if something were moved, I would know, firmly, that someone (a basic human or animal like a dog) had moved it. And a son of mine once asked, as we walked through a “new” old house I had bought, if I wondered if it were haunted. I said no, and he asked why. I said, while I maybe could’ve elaborated a bit, “because I’m here.”

Now, as I have described months or years ago, I have had at least one paranormal experience in that I have prayed for healing and been healed. But there was nothing sensational about it — no falling over or flashing glitter or mystic voices. No overbearing preachers; in fact, no one with me at all. No calling on the patron gods of this or that. Just the Creator.

8. Stroke Survivor UK November 22, 2019 / 12:26 am

I don’t know if you follow Jim Adams but he posted yesterday on Colin Kaepernick – I hope I wrote that down properly. https://jimadamsauthordotcom.wordpress.com/2019/11/21/shame-on-the-nfl/ I don’t know the detail so I kept my mouth shut. But one sentence I picked out – he’s paid to be a sportsman, not an activist. Thought that might make an interesting FPQ one day – should professional sportsmen be apolitical. A much more serious topic than today, though.
    I see you have lots of comments since I last looked at this post – I must keep this window open and read them later.

• Fandango November 22, 2019 / 7:23 am

Yes, I do follow Jim and I wrote a comment on his post, telling him that I totally disagree with his perspective. But you’re right, it may be a good topic for a future FPQ.

• Marleen November 22, 2019 / 4:17 pm

One Randy Rainbow piece, and touching on one holiday, just wasn’t enough today for me. And, besides all that, you know I like this style (Latin/Hispanic/world) of music.

• Marleen November 22, 2019 / 9:15 pm

[I can’t find an article, right now, but even Trump’s complexion ties him to corruption with a partner in crime… with someone who was a businessman. I don’t remember the details or specifics.]