Share Your World — Deep Thought

Share Your WorldWhoa. I’m running way behind today. I am just getting around to reading and responding to today’s edition of Melanie’s Share Your World prompt. Melanie has posed some pretty deep questions. Let’s see if I can come up with some equally deep answers.

Can we ever experience anything objectively? Why or why not? (Now for the people who may not understand that idea, this is what objective means (definition wise): Something that is not influenced by personal feelings or opinions).

Probably not. Thinking that we can, in all or most cases, be completely objective is not objective thinking. We are all influenced, to one degree or another, by our environment, upbringing, and experiences, so even though we might like to think we can be completely objective, we can’t.

Do humans have a soul? Do animals have a soul?

I’m assuming that by her question, Melanie is asking if there is a spiritual or immaterial part of a human being or animal, regarded as immortal. I’m being completely objective in my answer, which is no and no. We may be “soulful” and we may have “soul,” but we don’t have “a soul.”

Why are people told to respect the dead? (Example: “Don’t speak ill of the dead.”)

The only dead people who are worthy of our respect are those who earned it while they were alive.

Without using the names of specific people, discuss “the ideal” President or other world leader. Saying ‘anyone who is the exact opposite of a certain orange skinned creature’ is cheating. While (to me) that’s a true statement, there’s more depth to the question than to reduce it to one sentence.

The ideal president or world leader is an individual who has scruples, honesty, and integrity, and who puts the nation he or she leads and the needs of the people above his or her own interests. And I did that in one sentence without naming the current POTUS and so-called leader of the free world, who is the antithesis of someone who possesses those attributes and qualities.

GRATITUDE:

Share your gratitude! Stories, images or thoughts all welcome.

I am grateful that I don’t have an inoperable brain tumor after having had my head examined. But it turns out that the CT scan showed that I do have a mass in the middle ear of my left ear that is causing my hearing problem and that will require surgery. But I’ll hold off worrying about that until after Thanksgiving.

18 thoughts on “Share Your World — Deep Thought

1. Paula Light November 18, 2019 / 3:13 pm

Samey same! Except the mass. Sorry about that. Last time they looked in my head there was nothing there 🤣

2. Marleen November 18, 2019 / 3:59 pm

So… operable and not cancerous (whew). I hope that goes well.

As for a soul, I recently heard that someone I know thinks that noone has a soul… until said person dies. He’s a Christian. I’m wondering if he came up with this, or if anyone else has ever heard of a history of such an idea.

• Fandango November 18, 2019 / 5:30 pm

I’ve never heard that theory, but I’m certainly not an expert.

3. Sadje November 18, 2019 / 6:54 pm

All the best Fandango. Hope it goes smoothly, that is out!

4. robertawrites235681907 November 18, 2019 / 8:30 pm

I am so glad you do not have a brain tumor although a mass in your ear doesn’t sound very nice. With regards to world leaders, the problem is that the type of person that usually goes into politics is either a complete and unrealistic idealist with no grounding in reality and economics or an ambition and greedy person who is out for what he/she can get out of it. The problem with democracy is that leaders must pander to the demands of the people, even when they are ultimately harmful to the economy and, as a follow through, to its people. There are no perfect systems or people. You fix one aspect and another goes haywire.

• Fandango November 18, 2019 / 9:39 pm

That’s true. There’s no perfect politician just as there’s no perfect person. But if I compare and contrast our current president to his predecessor, the former president displayed most of those positive attributes, whereas our current president possesses none.

5. Melanie B Cee November 19, 2019 / 12:02 pm

Thanks Fandango for Sharing Your World. I expected deep thoughts from you on this one, and I wasn’t disappointed. I do hope that you’ll keep us posted about that inner ear situation. Wow.

6. annieasksyou November 19, 2019 / 2:10 pm

Thank you for letting us know; your silence about your results was deafening (sorry about bad pun—sometimes I can’t help myself).

Is this an acoustic neuroma? I have a fascination for all things medical and might have been a physician if it weren’t for the blood/gore factors.

You will keep us posted—yes? Then our collective “soul” will bolster you with healing thoughts as you move toward total recovery and the pleasure of regained hearing.

• Fandango November 19, 2019 / 4:18 pm

It’s called a cholesteatoma. It’s an abnormal, noncancerous skin growth that develops in the middle section of your ear, behind the eardrum. The surgery is a Tympanomastoidectomy.

7. leigha66 November 20, 2019 / 11:32 am

Good answers and I really glad to hear it was not an inoperable brain tumor. I do hope your surgery goes well…. please keep us updated.