Friday Fictioneers — The Revolution

Shuttered synagogueIt didn’t take long after the revolution that the new Constitution, declaring America be a Christian Nation, was adopted. The practice of any religion other than Christianity was banned. Jews and Muslims were the first to be persecuted, their synagogues and mosques either destroyed or shuttered. Those who were caught practicing their religion were rounded up and either imprisoned or deported.

Then Hindus, Buddhists, and even Mormons and other “non-conforming” Christians were targeted. Atheists were declared enemies of the state and were executed.

The United States became a theocracy. They said this could never happen in America.

It did.

(100 words)

Written for this week’s Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Roger Bultot.

31 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — The Revolution

1. Christine Goodnough November 15, 2019 / 10:14 am

People tend to be intolerant of whatever is “different”; even very tolerant people have things they just won’t tolerate.

The trouble with the early Puritans (from whom my husband descends) is that when they made church and state one, as in “a Christian nation,” they didn’t know what to do about their own children who weren’t professing believers. They finally made a new kind of membership for them, so their descendants could partake of all the rights of citizenry even if they were only nominally church members. When groups set out to exclude, they soon get into murky water.

2. Nobbinmaug November 15, 2019 / 10:42 am

Religion and politics are both exclusionary by nature. Put them together and we’re all fucked. I don’t believe Trump’s religious, bit I can see him doing something like that as a power play.

• Fandango November 15, 2019 / 1:47 pm

Yes, he’s wooing white evangelical voters, 99% of whom still support him.

• Nobbinmaug November 15, 2019 / 3:06 pm

I’ve read about similar ethnic/religious segregation in Germany in the 1940s. It didn’t turn out well. You did an excellent job of capturing that vibe.

3. theceaselessreaderwrites November 15, 2019 / 12:14 pm

Sorry, Fandango, I can’t “like” this one, it’s too damned scary, mainly because it seems so plausible these days. Brrrr! Saints preserve us!

• Fandango November 16, 2019 / 8:03 am

I think it’s dream for some, and for me, and most of us, it’s a nightmare.

4. granonine November 16, 2019 / 6:28 am

I’m about to do something I usually avoid. I’m horrified that you all seem to think this is the direction America is taking. Let’s go around the world for just a moment and consider that the most-persecuted religious groups are the Christians, not all the others that are mentioned.

Now, back in America, more and more non-Christian immigrants are here, and Christians are not objecting to that. Thank God we’ve come WAY past the days of the Puritans, as Christine mentioned, with their Half-Way covenant that granted full rights to their children even if they never made a confession of Christianity. It was true Christians, not those in name only, who suffered and fought for the freedom of ALL people to practice their religion as they believed, and to do so without fear of reprisal. It was a hard-won victory, and it was a victory for everyone, not just Christians.

SOME, not all, immigrants, are demanding that Americans adapt to THEIR religious practices. For instance, the woman who moved in next door to a cafe and then objected to the smell of bacon being cooked in the morning. She demanded that they stop serving bacon because it offended her.

The point of immigration is for the immigrant to assimilate into the country to which they have immigrated. Instead, many immigrants these days are demanding that Americans assimilate into THEIR culture. I’d like to know how we can do that when there are so many, many different cultures and religions here.

Rarely do I object to anything that is written for FF, and if I do I generally keep it to myself. This time, however, this overt attack on Christianity appalls me–especially when I am painfully aware of how many thousands of Christians are being persecuted relentlessly around the world.

I also think we need to define our terms. Not all people who claim to be Christian are, in fact, Christian. That evil place that calls itself a church and goes around demonstrating against homosexuality, burial of soldiers, abortion, etc. is hateful and DOES NOT represent true Christianity. They are a cult led by one man’s hatred and bigotry. That they do it under the aegis of Christianity is abhorrent.

A true Christian, or “little Christ” as the term originally meant, is one who follows the teachings of Jesus Christ. He is the One Who said we are to love our neighbors as ourselves.There is no room there for the kind of so-called Christian dictatorship described in this piece.

If I have offended or misinterpreted anything in the story or the comments, I am sorry for that. But I am offended by the concept of Christians being the bad guys, people to fear, people to hate. And I just couldn’t be quiet this time.

• Fandango November 16, 2019 / 9:09 am

I’m sorry if you were offended, and I didn’t mean to imply that all Christians are the bad guys. But Christians do have a long history of persecuting others. From the Crusades to the Inquisition to Christian sanctioned slavery, to the Holocaust, and more recently, to the significant rise in religious and anti-gay hate crimes since Donald Trump came to the throne, it was the Christians who were the persecutors, not the persecuted.

In today’s America, the Christian Right and evangelical Christians are doing everything they can to impose their version of morality on the rest of us, whether it’s about women’s reproductive rights, sexual orientation, or immigration (and, ironically, the vast majority of migrants at are southern border are Christian). Evangelical Christians are willing to set aside their moral values to support an immoral, self-serving president in order to pack the federal courts with anti-abortion, anti-gay rights, anti-equal rights judges.

As to Christians being persecuted around the world, that’s primarily occurring in Muslim countries, which are theocracies and where anything but Islam is considered to be heresy. But what that speaks to is the very nature of religion, which is intolerance for “the other.” It’s the inherent divisiveness of all religions, which promote a “birds of a feather” philosophy and tend to separate, rather than unite, us by their “my beliefs are right, and if your beliefs are different, you are wrong.”

As someone who is not Christian, I don’t think the fictional scenario I painted in my post is that far-fetched. I hope I’m wrong and that America will never evolve to becoming a Christian theocracy. But it could happen if we continue along our current trajectory.

• granonine November 16, 2019 / 12:48 pm

Thank you for responding to my lengthy comment. Again, I want to define “Christian.” There are many, many people who profess to being Christian. They are the ones who conducted the crusades, etc. and it may have been done under a “Christian” banner, but it was most certainly not done out of concern for the souls of mankind. Rather, it was a reach for power. Following the money will always reveal putrid motives once the nest is stirred.

True Christians are those who have come humbly to the Cross for forgiveness of sin through the blood of Jesus Christ. We do our feeble best to live according to His teachings. Sadly, we are often lumped in together with those who claim Christianity as an excuse to behave horribly.

I do not believe we can legislate morality. I am opposed to abortion, but I have never bombed an abortion center, shot an abortion doctor, or been hateful toward those who disagree with me. Same goes for the other moral issues you mention.

It does seem to me, though, that those who favor such things are doing their best to force me to accept it against my will; to support it with my tax dollars; and to adapt to what I cannot approve of. This has always been so. The fight of right vs. wrong, good v, evil, started with Cain and Abel in the Garden of Eden. I do believe in the existence of Satan, whose whole goal is to destroy what God loves. So the battle rages, and will rage, until God puts a stop to it.

It’s hard to write something like this without painting everyone with the broad brush. I guess what I want you to understand is that claiming to be Christian doesn’t make you a Christian. In my church, we have outreach to pregnancy support centers, prison inmates, providing food for the homeless, and so on. It doesn’t matter where they stand politically.

Religion was organized by man.

Faith is created by God. And therein lies the difference.

• Fandango November 16, 2019 / 8:09 pm

Thanks for taking the time to express your position. I don’t know if you’re political or if you consider Donald Trump, the current American president, to be a true Christian. (Hint: based upon your description, he definitely is not.) And yet 99% of evangelical Christians, each and every one “claiming” to be a true Christian, support the most immoral, corrupt, self-serving, money-motivated, and power-driven man ever to hold that office. How is that possible?

• Fandango November 16, 2019 / 8:16 pm

By the way, no one is forcing people to have abortions, or to fall in love and marry someone of the same gender. But what they are demanding are equal rights under the law, to manage their own bodies and reproductive rights, and to love the person of their choice. Is that more evil than promoting legislation that takes away or limits those equal human rights?

5. granonine November 17, 2019 / 6:36 am

We could go on like this and still find things about which we will never agree. For instance, I have no right to interfere with anyone’s sexual behavior until helpless babies are put to death because someone was not responsible enough to take preventive measures. I believe that baby is a human being the moment the sperm fertilizes the egg. A woman has the right to control her OWN body, but she does not have the right to take the life of that baby.

You and I will never agree about that. Nor will we agree, I’m sure, that my tax dollars should not be used to pay for something I find so abhorrent.

I can respect your passion for your beliefs. I hope you can return that respect, and realize that not all who claim Christianity are hypocrites. I can even go so far as to understand your anger at the horrors that have been done in the name of my God or the gods of any other religion. What I really want I think, is to stand up for those of us who are Christians by faith, not by demanding everyone has to be as we are so we can be comfortable. True Christians do not desire the death, torture, or persecution of any other people. You don’t want to be forced to believe as I do. I don’t want to e compelled by law to believe as you do.

• Fandango November 17, 2019 / 9:46 am

We’ll have to agree to disagree on a number of fronts. For example, I don’t consider abortions o be putting “helpless babies to death” because a fetus is not a baby, and it amazes me how so many pro-lifers care so much about a fetus, but once it’s a delivered baby, they couldn’t care less about its welfare or that of the mother. As to tax dollars, I don’t believe my tax dollars should be used to pay for Trump’s border wall, which I find abhorrent, or for an already bloated military budget, but they do. I also resent the fact that religious institutions are tax exempt, robbing the American public of billions in potential tax revenues that could be used to help those most in need in our society.

No one is asking you to believe as I do, but you seem to support the enactment of laws that discriminate against women’s reproductive rights and that oppose equal rights for all people regardless of race, religion, and gender/sexual orientation. As you say, I don’t want to be compelled by laws to believe as you do.

Why is it that conservatives are the champions of personal and privacy rights except when it comes to what goes on in the privacy of one’s home behind closed doors? Why is it that Republicans are the champions of states’ rights except when states’ right interfere with their political agenda?

Oh well, these are rhetorical questions. As you said, we could go on and on and never agree. Thanks for this engaging discussion.

• Marleen November 18, 2019 / 11:20 am

Christians [or anyone else] who make the ask to distance real Christians (as the narrative or imagination goes) from most Christians or many Christians (or those who, ostensibly, call themselves Christians) should credibly differentiate themselves. I realized I can no longer entertain the idea of siding politically with those who have made abortion the reason Republican followers put up with everything else ridiculous the party does. Combine the number of people I’ve learned are politically active against abortion but have abortions or put their daughters through abortions with the stunning reaction to the Affordable Care Act, there is no integrity. One of the main complaints from people who had always said they were against abortion, and still said they were, was that “obamacare” provided for the guarantee insurance covers childbirth.

6. Tannille November 18, 2019 / 11:22 pm

I’m not a Christian and find all religions questionable. But there does seem to be a direct attack on Christianity these days. The far left scare me just as much as the fanatical religious, both want to control. As a woman, I really wouldn’t want to live under Sharia.

7. edgyroy December 3, 2019 / 9:13 pm

I give the founders credit for creating America, I also give them credit for how close they came to creating a perfect democracy. Yes, it’s unfortunate that they had to use the term god at all in any of the founding documents, and I don’t recall the mention of Christ or Christianity in any of those documents. But the brilliance of the founders was in the way the country could be changed by the people. I don’t believe they created any theocracy. They allow for any religion in the founding documents, even none. But the problem they had back then is the problem we have now. To change the country to what you want it to be, means a majority has to agree with you. The problems we have today are caused by a problem the founders did not have. An adherence to the founding principles. At the beginning, just the creation of the country depended not only a majority of the people, but on the principle that the people would place their personal values beneath those of the nation and obey all of the laws, and make the changes they wanted in accordance to the provisions given. Today we can’t get a majority on hardly anything. Over the generations since the founding the people have decided that their personal values are more important than anything else. Even if their values are supposedly from god, it’s still just their personal value. Either way, America could not have and will not continue to exist until a majority of the people adhere to the founding principle.

• Fandango December 3, 2019 / 9:32 pm

“… people have decided that their personal values are more important than anything else.” Starting at the top with our current POTUS.

• edgyroy December 3, 2019 / 9:41 pm

Yes, he is the perfect example of what is really wrong with America. Thank you.