I Need To Have My Head Examined

1ADAC9E9-D5C5-4679-839E-09B93C8226E1No, really, I do need to get my head examined, as in a CAT scan of my head, which I hope will be less painful than a cat scratch of my hand.

So why do I need to have CAT scan? Thank you for asking. Around a month ago I got a head cold and one of the byproducts of that cold was that my left ear got clogged up. But even though my head cold only lasted a week, I still, three weeks later, can barely hear out of that ear, and what little I can hear sounds muffled. It’s really annoying.

So I went to an ear, nose, and throat doctor. I figured the clogged ear was due to a residual fluid build up from my cold and the ENT doc would drain the fluid and I’d be all set.

Before I met with the doctor, the hearing tech ran an audiometry test and, no surprise, the hearing in my left ear was way worse than in my right, which is not that great to begin with. Ah, the joys of aging.

When I met with the doc, he examined my ear and said that he didn’t think my issue is due to fluid in my ear. He thinks my clogged ear sensation might have something to do with some other mechanical issue with my ear, but the only way to know for sure is to get the head scan.

And so, tomorrow I get the scan and on Friday I have an appointment to learn the results. Wish me luck. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that it’s not an inoperable brain tumor.

Damn, I think I’ve been watching too many “Grey’s Anatomy” episodes.

43 thoughts on “I Need To Have My Head Examined

1. Paula Light November 12, 2019 / 7:38 pm

It’s probably just a little orange monster in there clogging things up and creating general mayhem. Hopefully they can swoop it out and dispose of it in the hazardous waste bin. Good luck!

2. robertawrites235681907 November 12, 2019 / 7:46 pm

Wishing you the best of luck with it. My son has had two of these because of his sinus problems.

3. Sadje November 12, 2019 / 10:49 pm

The CT scan is not much of a hassle. Hope everything is okay and it is just fluid buildup! All the best 👍

4. Stroke Survivor UK November 12, 2019 / 11:50 pm

Pah! CAT scans are a breeze. From memory, an injection might have been threatened to enhance the contrast in the image, but in the end it was was unnecessary. But good luck anyway – if you don’t post any more you’ll at least be safe in the knowledge that I’m full of shit 😃

• Stroke Survivor UK November 13, 2019 / 12:31 am

The worst time I had was when they wanted to look for signs of bleeding at the back of my eye – which they did with luminous yellow dye in my blood, and a visual camera pointing at my eye. Imagine how I got that dye out of my body afterwards! But CATs are X-Ray, not visual, aren’t they?

• Fandango November 13, 2019 / 5:23 am

Yep. A heavy dose of radiation right into my head. What fun!

• Stroke Survivor UK November 13, 2019 / 12:24 pm

They must think that the benefits of having it outweigh the benefits of not having it. Good luck and I’ll catch you Friday.

5. Marleen November 13, 2019 / 12:34 am

Hope it’s fluid in the ear… or just disappears.

6. Liz November 13, 2019 / 12:55 am

I’ve had this many years ago when my deafness was first diagnosed and everything was fine.
    I can’t remember the name of the particular thing they wanted to look at, but this thin tubing that sends signals from the ear to the brain can get blocked and this was what they wanted to look at, to see if this was the answer to my deafness. If it would have been the case they told me they wouldn’t be able to do anything. It wasn’t serious, but was answers.
    I turned out ok and as I joked originally, they had found a brain while looking. But for me it was scary and I thought tumour because of a half brother that died from one that he was born with. But they reassured me on that too, that all was fine.

7. newepicauthor November 13, 2019 / 5:41 am

Jimmy Carter had a CAT scan. I know what you mean about getting older, as I have cataract surgery scheduled for next year.

8. Melanie B Cee November 13, 2019 / 7:26 am

It’s not a tumor. If it IS, it’ll be an operable tumor. I’m a superstitious old bat, but don’t speak evil aloud dude. It draws it to you! 😐 You’re going to be just fine and back delighting all your followers with your wit and wisdom AND a tale of how an audiologist misdiagnosed fluid behind the ear drum for other problems…. 😛

9. rugby843 November 13, 2019 / 9:28 am

All I can say is don’t do that. The older we get the more time we have to research things which is not always a good thing. I had a brain scan in 2015 after a bad reaction to a shot I got in the ER. It was nice to know that I actually had one. Good luck tomorrow and Friday I’ll be thinking of you.

Sent from my iPad

10. inkdropk November 13, 2019 / 9:42 am

CT scans are a breeze – had a few of them in childhood and adulthood – the only downside is that stuff they use to enhance the image – which – as previous correspondents have mentioned requires a cannula to administer it….you should be fine – and you’ll be in the right place if not.

11. Ruth November 13, 2019 / 1:51 pm

Good luck with your CAT scan – and I hope your hearing returns soon 🙂

12. annieasksyou November 13, 2019 / 7:19 pm

As a catastrophizer, I can certainly empathize. (No pun intended on the three-letter “prompt” in that word. )

I’ve had several CT scans and can no longer have the contrast dye because of an allergy. Test isn’t bad. I had one last year after a pathologist said she couldn’t do an ultrasound-guided biopsy of the lump in my neck because the ultrasound showed something large and questionable right by an artery. Turned out it was the musculature of my neck, stronger on left than right.

Sending positive thoughts that yours will be a similar nothing.

• Fandango November 14, 2019 / 7:16 pm

Thanks. I’ll find out tomorrow at my appointment with the ENT doc.