Song Lyric Sunday — Would You Marry Me Anyway?

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday prompt, Jim Adams has given us the words Could, Might, Should, and Would as the theme. The song I decided to go with is the Bobby Darin version of “If I Were a Carpenter.”

The song was written by the folk singer Tim Hardin, who performed it at Woodstock in 1969. Hardin dealt with drug problems and died in 1980 at age 39. In 1966, it was a top ten hit for Bobby Darin, reaching number 8 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It turned out to be Darin’s last big hit. Darin died in 1973 at age 37.

Hardin was unhappy with the way Bobby Darin had appropriated his vocal style for the song. He apparently hated Darin’s lushly orchestrated version. Hardin appreciated that people were listening to his music, but he wanted them to hear him doing it.

There were covers of the song from Joan Baez, The Four Tops, Johnny Cash and June Carter, Bob Seger, and Robert Plant. Here is the version sung by its writer, Tim Hardin.

The song is the story of a man asking an elegant woman if she would still love and marry him and have his baby if he was just a carpenter. Some have suggested that there may have been some biblical meaning, as Jesus was a carpenter.

Here are the song’s lyrics.

If I were a carpenter
And you were a lady
Would you marry me anyway?
Would you have my baby

If a tinker were my trade
Would you still find me
Carryin’ the pots I made

Save my love through loneliness
Save my love for sorrow
I’m given you my oneliness
Come give your tomorrow

If I were a miller
At a mill wheel grinding
Would you miss your color box
And your soft shoe shining?

If I worked my hands in wood
Would you still love me?
Answer me babe, yes I would
I’ll put you above me

If I were a carpenter
And you were a lady
Would you marry me anyway?
Would you have my baby?
Would you marry anyway?
Would you have my baby?

18 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Would You Marry Me Anyway?

1. Christine Bolton November 10, 2019 / 4:55 am

I love the backstory about this song! I always loved it no matter who sang it 🙂

• Fandango November 10, 2019 / 8:04 am

I think the backstories for the songs people choose are the most fascinating aspects of the SLS responses. Also, it’s good to hear the songs, too. 😉

2. Maggie November 10, 2019 / 6:25 am

What a great choice. Such a wonderful song and such a heartfelt question we all might wonder from time to time. I have always loved this song.

3. newepicauthor November 10, 2019 / 7:56 am

I never heard the Bobby Darin version before and I think it is great. I was walking with my wife in NYC and we passed a guy on the streets who was shining shoes and I asked her, “If I was a shoeshine boy, would you still have married me?” and she said, “Hell no!”

4. rugby843 November 10, 2019 / 8:59 am

Always liked the freshness of this song.

5. msjadeli November 10, 2019 / 9:34 am

It’s the kind of song anyone can make sound good, but I think I like Tim’s version the best. Never thought about its possible Jesus/Mary connection before. Excellent choice, Fandango.

6. scr4pl80 November 10, 2019 / 10:54 am

Love the Bobby Darin version. Sad that both of them died so young!

7. ghostmmnc November 14, 2019 / 9:22 am

I love a lot of Bobby Darin’s songs, but this one I like Tim Hardin’s original much better. Thanks for showing both. 🙂

Comments are closed.