Thursday Inspiration — Train Travel

D8E7C9C6-F60A-4331-A40E-8C21CAD15A5F.pngWhen I saw that Paula Light’s Thursday Inspiration prompt this week was all about trains, I was reminded of a post I wrote almost a decade ago on my old, now defunct blog. I thought it would be a great fit for a post about trains. So, thank you, Paula, for inspiring me to dig deep into my archives and to resurrect this old post.

Flying Amtrak

3AFA3EC6-BA34-4DA2-B76D-C905DCE59C48I am writing this post on an Amtrak train, the California Zephyr, headed for Chicago from San Francisco. From there I will board another Amtrak train headed to Boston. I decided that, since I have to make this cross-country trip, I would make it an adventure. Rather than flying or driving across the country, I am taking the train.

So far, it’s been a good decision. It’s relaxing and comfortable and scenic. The train passed through the Sierra Nevada Mountains and just left Reno on its way to Salt Lake City and then to Denver before we hit the plains states.

I even have my own “roomette” where I can actually sleep in a fully horizontal position. How well I will actually be able to sleep I don’t know, but I’m sure by tomorrow night, exhaustion will kick in.

This is only the first day of a four-day cross-country train adventure. I wonder how I’ll feel when I look back upon this mini-adventure four days from now.

My return trip to San Francisco will not be so pleasant I’m afraid. I will be driving a rental truck filled with stuff we left in storage when we moved last summer from a big old Victorian home in Massachusetts to a small, urban condo in San Francisco.

And I’m going to try to make that cross-country drive in the rental truck in five days. So next week I probably won’t be online very much, if at all. And I definitely won’t be as relaxed or comfortable as I am right now.

Sadly, there is no WiFi on this train. What is this, the Middle Ages? Fortunately, I do have a 4G WiFi hotspot device with me that does give me internet access, but it’s spotty.

The train is continuously moving through cell zones and sometimes access is great, at other times it’s barely there or is not there at all. So I’m going to post this while I have enough of a signal to get through.

19 thoughts on “Thursday Inspiration — Train Travel

1. annieasksyou November 8, 2019 / 7:53 pm

That was my question as well. After the nice leisurely train ride, was the solo (I assume) rental truck drive back hellish? If you didn’t write about it then, perhaps you can reconstruct it now?

• Fandango November 8, 2019 / 8:27 pm

I did write a post about my drive back. As well as another about halfway through my train ride. Maybe I’ll dig them up and post them over the next day or two.

2. robertawrites235681907 November 8, 2019 / 11:56 pm

I have traveled on a train over night once in my life and that was for one night only. This sounds like a great adventure.

3. Stroke Survivor UK November 9, 2019 / 3:20 am

My friend cycled ocean-to-ocean. I think it took him about a month, but he saw a lot of the country. His daily posts from small towns in the middle of nowhere were very enlightening.

4. Paula Light November 9, 2019 / 5:54 am

How cool! I used to think I would journey around the country by train after I retire, and stop where I pleased, to really see things, but I don’t know if that would actually be fun.

• Fandango November 9, 2019 / 8:18 am

It would be fun if you didn’t have to be anywhere by a specific time…and if the trains in the US were in better condition and/or modernized.

5. leigha66 November 11, 2019 / 1:14 pm

I have always wanted to ride a passenger train… maybe some day.