Fandango’s Friday Flashback — November 8

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of you earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember?

Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 8th) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on November 8, 2017 in response to a WordPress Daily Prompt, “dancing.”

In a Rut

71BCB912-535E-42A5-B6C0-0B83E7A1BFB0“Let’s go dancing,” Julie suggested.

Felix looked at his wife of forty years in disbelief. “Dancing? You can’t be serious. Why would you want to go dancing?”

“Oh Felix, we used to have such fun going out and dancing the night away,” Julie said. “Remember the night….”

Felix interrupted his wife. “First of all, we haven’t danced together in years. I think the last time was at our son’s wedding, and he got married 15 years ago — and divorced eight years ago. Second, I’m 72 and you’re 68. Do you really think we can still dance without hurting something? And finally, where would we go? They don’t have dance clubs where you can do the waltz, the foxtrot, the cha-cha, or the jitterbug anymore.”

“But Felix,” Julie objected,” we are in a rut. We need to spice things up, don’t you think?”

Shaking his head, Felix continued. “Look, we don’t know any of these new fangled dances. And today all you’ve got are discos and, what do you call them, raves, with their mash pits, pot, ecstasy pills, or some such nonsense.”

“There must be places in the city for older couples like us to, you know, strut our stuff,” Julie said.

“Yeah, old age homes and retirement communities,” Felix responded. “I don’t want to be hanging out with a bunch of old people.”

“Okay, fine,” Julie said, resigned to yet another night of staying home and watching TV. “I think TBS is having one of its ‘NCIS’ marathons again tonight.”

23 thoughts on “Fandango’s Friday Flashback — November 8

• Fandango November 8, 2019 / 8:07 am

I’m thankful that you participated in this prompt today.

1. Irene November 8, 2019 / 6:12 am

What a fun idea! Gotta go take a look at what I posted a year ago. 😁

2. Suze November 8, 2019 / 7:27 am

and whatever is wrong with turning on the radio and dancing in the living room?

• Fandango November 8, 2019 / 8:02 am

I guess they never thought about that!

3. the real cie November 8, 2019 / 2:51 pm

It’s not an entirely funny story, but when I was working in the retirement community on New Years Eve night, one of the residents called to tell me he’d found his wife on the bathroom floor and he believed she was dead. He was a doctor, so he would have been able to tell. He was right. I sat with him while we waited for the paramedics per procedure, and he told me that they’d been at the New Year’s Eve celebration. He said “but that wasn’t for us, sitting around with a bunch of old people, so we came back to the apartment.”

This is my offering for the week.

• Fandango November 8, 2019 / 3:21 pm

Thanks for participating. With respect to your bipolar disorder and your feelings about finding a cure, I’m always amazed how people adapt to deal with whatever conditions, issues, or disabilities they have.

• Fandango November 8, 2019 / 4:51 pm

Thanks for taking me up on my invitation. 😉