Fandango’s Friday Flashback — November 1

Wouldn’t you like to expose your newer readers to some of you earlier posts that they might never have seen? Or remind your long term followers of posts that they might not remember?

Each Friday I will publish a post I wrote on this exact date in a previous year.

How about you? Why don’t you reach back into your own archives and highlight a post that you wrote on this very date in a previous year? You can repost your Friday Flashback post on your blog and pingback to this post. Or you can just write a comment below with a link to the post you selected.

If you’ve been blogging for less than a year, go ahead and choose a post that you previously published on this day (the 1st) of any month within the past year and link to that post in a comment.

This was originally posted on November 1, 2011 on my now defunct blog. It seems a fitting complement to this post about an experience at a grocery store yesterday morning.

Showing My Age

I have always prided myself on the fact (belief?) that I look younger than I am. I certainly don’t feel my age, and I often don’t act my age, either. I look at other people who are my age and am amazed at how old they look. And I think to myself how fortunate I am to not look my age. Thus, it came as quite a surprise to me last week when I learned that I apparently do look my age.

My wife and I were shopping at this marvelous San Francisco food market, Rainbow  Grocery. It’s actually a cooperative that specializes in locally grown, organic products. Among its stated goals are to “provide affordable vegetarian food products, which have minimal negative impact ecologically and socially,” and to “buy goods from local organic farmers, collectives, bakers, dairies, and other local businesses whenever possible.”

Our daughter, who is a vegetarian and believes in buying from local, sustainable sources, will love this place once she moves out here in a few months. Well, she may not be thrilled with the prices, but then she and her husband have become accustomed to paying a premium for groceries when they regularly shop at their local Whole Foods Market.

But I digress. As we were checking out, the cashier looked at me and apparently saw some old fart standing across from her. “Senior?” she asked. I actually heard what she said, but was so shocked by it that all I could do was blankly stare back at her. Seeing me literally paralyzed, my wife finally said, “Yes, he’s a senior.”Mr Old FartThe cashier then hit some button on the register and, magically, my grocery total was reduced by ten percent.

Hey, I’m all about taking advantage of senior discounts. I can ride the San Francisco public transit system for 75¢ a pop instead of $2. And my movie tickets are discounted by around $2 or $3.

But when I got my transit pass, the Senior Clipper Card, it was me who provided the documentation to confirm that I’m a senior. When I buy a movie ticket, I’m the one who checks the box for a senior ticket when I buy them online. It’s me who informs others that I qualify for a senior discount. It’s not someone else who points out that I’m an old fart.
fixin toThis traumatic event triggered a deeply suppressed memory from more than two decades ago. We were living in Dallas at the time and my wife was fixin’ to cook dinner. That’s what people in Dallas do…they’re always “fixin’” to do something…and they will occasionally get around to doing whatever it was that they were fixin’ to do.

But I digress yet again. My wife asked me to pick up a few items at the grocery store that she needed in order to finish fixin’ our dinner. I took our son, then around four or five years old, with me to the store. When we were checking out, the cashier looked at my son, smiled warmly, and asked him if he enjoyed spending time with his grandfather.  Are you kidding me? His grandfather! I was only around 40 at the time.

What is it with these damn age-fixated grocery store cashiers?

32 thoughts on “Fandango’s Friday Flashback — November 1

1. Sadje November 1, 2019 / 3:23 am

lol! We always think we look younger than we are!

• Fandango November 1, 2019 / 8:26 am

Getting a “Page Not Found” when I click on your link.

2. Irene November 1, 2019 / 6:30 am

I always looked younger than my age; my husband says he used to get dirty looks when walking next to me when I was pregnant (the teenage wife? I was in my mid thirties!) Now that I have grey in my hair, the youngsters have started calling me “madam”, and I will not get my hair coloured, for my husband’s sake.

November first is marked as All Saints’ Day in the Christian calendar, and I have a post from last year:

3. newepicauthor November 1, 2019 / 7:27 am

My nephews live in North Carolina and they are always fixin’ to do something.

4. rugby843 November 1, 2019 / 10:24 am

Almost as bad as asking a woman when she’s due. She may not be pregnant! My sister thinks being called sweetie or honey is about her age. She would never have survived the South!

• the real cie November 1, 2019 / 2:49 pm

I tend to be more accepting of being called “sweetie” or “honey” by women than men. When men do it, I generally feel like it’s belittling and disrespectful.

• Fandango November 1, 2019 / 5:43 pm

“When men do it, I generally feel like it’s belittling and disrespectful.” I agree. Or, perhaps, snide and sarcastic.

5. Melanie B Cee November 1, 2019 / 11:14 am

Eh, you don’t know you’re born. Although 40 is pretty young to be ‘an old fart’. I do understand your dismay and if you’re like me, a little bit of righteous indignation too. I was probably 47 when a friend and I went to Golden Corral (a buffet type restaurant where a LOT of seniors eat) for a meal. The girl didn’t even ask me. She just rang me up as “Senior”. My friend almost busted a gut laughing. Me? I didn’t say a freakin’ word. Heck. 10% is 10%. But I was a little butt hurt all the same. I never thought I looked ‘old’. These days? I have to embrace my ‘old’. I DO look old.

6. annieasksyou November 1, 2019 / 12:09 pm

Aw; I know exactly how you feel. But a couple of years ago, I was offended when some polite young person gave me his seat on the bus. Now I’m grateful.

Here’s my post from last year, which saddens me to realize that—except that this isn’t an election year—not much has changed.

As always, thanks, Fandango.

• Fandango November 1, 2019 / 2:51 pm

You’re right. Not only has not much changed, things are even more partisan they ever, as evidenced by the fact that not one Republican in the House voted to support a formal impeachment inquiry. Talk about keeping your head in the sand. Yikes.

• annieasksyou November 1, 2019 / 3:02 pm

But I heard a slightly encouraging conjecture about the Republicans’ ostrich behavior: there was no reason for any of those who might be considering a “yes” vote to do it now—on this procedural matter—and start the barrage of invective against them a month or so early and before the public hearings will (fingers crossed) shift public opinion strongly for impeachment and removal from office.

7. annieasksyou November 1, 2019 / 1:31 pm

This is my second try; don’t know where the first version went…

Aw; I understand how you feel. But a few years ago, I was offended when a young person on a bus offered me a seat; now I smile sweetly and grab it.

Here’s my year-old post, which saddens me, as the only difference from last year is that there’s no national election now. Again, thanks, Fandango.

• Fandango November 1, 2019 / 2:57 pm

The first try came through. Maybe WordPress is reacting slowly today. Maybe the Happiness Engineers celebrated Halloween a little to energetically last night.

• Fandango November 1, 2019 / 4:47 pm

It did come through, but I think WordPress is kinda slow today.

8. the real cie November 1, 2019 / 2:47 pm

I started going gray at 27, so I’ve been pegged as a “senior” for years by those young whippersnappers. At 54, I now am a “senior” in some places, not technically in others, but if someone gives me the discount I take it. For if there is one thing I am, it’s broke.
    My post didn’t originally appear on this blog, but I put it there this time.

• Fandango November 1, 2019 / 5:34 pm

I’m a senior in ALL places. Thank for the link.

9. leigha66 November 2, 2019 / 1:33 pm

I had that happen to me, well actually they didn’t ask. The waiter at Perkins assumed I was ordering off of the senior menu and rang it up as such. Not knowing the right age I just went with it. We never really do feel like we are aging until we look in the mirror.