#writephoto — Wildfires

A1264AC8-030A-4711-9549-D7C0FFF460EE Debra could feel the heat from the fire that was engulfing her house, the only home she’d ever known.

“Come on, sweetie, we have to go,” Debra’s father, Greg, called out to his daughter. “We need to evacuate now.”

Tears were flowing down her cheeks. “I don’t want to go, Daddy. Why is this happening to our house?”

Greg walked over and grabbed Debra’s hand and started to lead her away from the burning house. “It’s wildfire season, sweetheart,” he said. “The lack of rain all summer has made all of the grasses and underbrush very dry. And high winds blew down some trees, which fell across power lines. These power lines fell to the ground and sparked brush fires. Then those same high winds rapidly spread the flames of the fire.”

“Why do we live in a place that has wildfires, Daddy,” Debra asked.

“It’s close to my work, baby,” Greg said. “Besides, no matter where you live, there are weather-related risks, whether it’s blizzards, flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, thunder and lightning.”

Greg was interrupted by a firefighter. “Sir, you need to get yourself and your daughter out of harm’s way before we lose control of the fires in this area.”

Debra looked up at her father as they ran to his car. “We’ve lost everything, haven’t we?”

“No Debra, sweetie,” Greg said. “We lost stuff, but it’s all replaceable. But we still, and always will, have each other.” The two of them hugged, got in the car, and Greg started the engine. “Now let’s get the hell out of here,” he said, “while we still can.”

Written for Sue Vincent’s Thursday Photo Prompt.

28 thoughts on “#writephoto — Wildfires

1. slmret October 28, 2019 / 5:45 pm

I hope you’re not truly running away from fires — in Orange County, I awoke to the news of the Getty Fire, 75 or so miles from my home, and felt the same way as your little Debra! I’d still rather fires than blizzards, flooding, hurricanes, tornadoes, thunder and lightning! Stay safe!!!

• Fandango October 28, 2019 / 7:01 pm

Thanks. The fires are north, east, and south of the city, so nothing that close. But the air is full of the smell of smoke.

• slmret October 28, 2019 / 7:07 pm

I’m glad you’re safe! But that smoky air smell is not pleasant. I hope it settles down soon!

2. ostrichpastacirce1537 October 28, 2019 / 5:56 pm

sam

On Mon, Oct 28, 2019, 7:32 PM This, That, and The Other ✍:

> Fandango posted: ” Debra could feel the heat from the fire that was > engulfing her house, the only home she’d ever known. “Come on, sweetie, we > have to go,” Debra’s father, Greg, called out to his daughter. “We need to > evacuate now.” Tears were flowing down her cheeks. “I” >

• Fandango October 28, 2019 / 7:12 pm

I’m not sure I understand what this comment means. Please explain.

3. Taswegian1957 October 28, 2019 / 6:22 pm

Our fire seasons now cross, California is experiencing serious wildfires while here in Australia the bushfire season has already begun with big fires in NSW and Queensland.
    Last summer my town was threatened by fires and I and many others had to evacuate. Our firefighters encouraged us to leave long before the fires were that close though.

• Fandango October 28, 2019 / 7:30 pm

In most cases, residents in at-risk areas, get more advanced notice to evacuate than the characters in my story did. Fortunately!

• Taswegian1957 October 29, 2019 / 4:36 am

Indeed, firefighters can do their job better if the roads are not full of people trying to leave at the last minute.

4. drtanya@saltedcaramel October 28, 2019 / 9:59 pm

Great lesson there:
    Stuff is always replaceable.
    So there’s no point in either running after it or mourning its loss.

5. Sue Vincent October 28, 2019 / 11:49 pm

Heartbreaking for those who experience such devastation. But the father is right… stuff can be replaced, people can’t. My heart goes out to those who lose the irreplaceable, including the animals.

• newepicauthor October 29, 2019 / 8:35 am

I have not seen any gators except on the news, but I don’t get out all that much. Hey Sight made another post yesterday.

• Fandango October 29, 2019 / 8:44 am

Yeah, I read it. Not quite sure what to make of it.

6. Willow October 29, 2019 / 8:42 am

My brother and his family just evacuated. We grew up just north of San Francisco and he’s still out there. But, like you said, nowhere is safe from natural disasters. He’s keeping us updated.

7. leigha66 October 29, 2019 / 9:56 pm

I am glad you are safe from the fires. I heard high winds were expected tonight again… I hope they can keep the fires somewhat contained in spite of them. Very good story though.

• Fandango October 29, 2019 / 11:02 pm

Thanks. It can be a scary thing, but I’m not anywhere near where the actual fires are, fortunately.

• Marleen October 29, 2019 / 11:25 pm

Do you get anything like eighty-mile-per-hour winds?

• Fandango October 30, 2019 / 7:13 am

Sometimes called “Diablo winds,” there have been gusts of up to 100 mph.