Friday Fictioneers — Invisible Angels

Halos Overhead“Mommy, look at all of the angels,” Charlotte said, pointing down the broad alleyway.

“Angels? I don’t see any angels, sweetie,” Charlotte’s mother said.

“Don’t you see their halos?” Charlotte asked. “They’re up there,” she said, pointing to the circular, lighted tubes strung out across the alley.

“I see the lights, sweetie,” her mother said, “but there are no angels there.” When tears started streaming down Charlotte’s cheeks, her mother asked, “What’s wrong, honey?”

“My Sunday School teacher said that angels are invisible to those who don’t believe in them,” Charlotte said. “You don’t believe in angels, do you mommy?”

(100 words)

Written for the Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

23 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Invisible Angels

1. slmret October 18, 2019 / 8:03 pm

Aww — of course there are angels and those are their haloes!

2. Amber October 18, 2019 / 10:10 pm

haha..good one- Sometimes, kids in their innocence can hit you hard

3. pensitivity101 October 19, 2019 / 7:21 am

There are always angels amongst us……….. they don’t all have halos, but they are there nonetheless

4. bearmkwa October 19, 2019 / 1:55 pm

Yanks my heart right outa my chest! This is a great story, and oh so very likely to happen. Working with preschoolers I’ve learned to be mighty careful of what I say so misunderstandings like this don’t happen.

5. Marleen October 20, 2019 / 1:17 pm

I saw a piece of a show, last night, where someone taking care of a child while his parents were out of town told the child they fly. The caretaker fell asleep, and the child took an umbrella to the roof and decided to fly (I guess like Mary Poppins while that wasn’t stated).

• Marleen October 20, 2019 / 1:58 pm

The parents fly — unspoken part… in an airplane and what that means (the toddler couldn’t know).

6. Abhijit Ray October 21, 2019 / 9:16 pm

Difference in perspective of the world in the way an adult and a child views the world.