Song Lyric Sunday — Nowhere Man

For this week’s Song Lyric Sunday, Jim Adams has given us “drifter, loner, transient, and vagabond” as the theme. I was originally going to go with Neil Diamond’s “Solitary Man,” but I’ve already included this song in two previous posts, here and here. So instead, I’m going with “Nowhere Man” by the Beatles.

“Nowhere Man” was released in December 1965 on the Beatles album Rubber Soul, except in the United States and Canada, where it was first issued as a single A-side in February 1966 before appearing on the album Yesterday and Today. In the US, the single peaked at number 3 on the Billboard Hot 100.

John Lennon, who wrote the song (although it was credited to Lennon/McCartney), came up with it after struggling to write a song for the album. Lennon said, “I thought of myself sitting there, doing nothing and getting nowhere. I remember I was just going through this paranoia trying to write something and nothing would come out so I just lay down and tried to not write and then this came out, the whole thing came out in one gulp.”

“Nowhere Man” was one of the first Beatles songs to be entirely unrelated to romance or love and reflects a philosophical look inward that was primarily driven by Lennon.

Here are the lyrics to “Nowhere Man”.

He’s a real nowhere man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

Doesn’t have a point of view
Knows not where he’s going to
Isn’t he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
You don’t know what you’re missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He’s as blind as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

Nowhere Man, don’t worry
Take your time, don’t hurry
Leave it all till somebody else lends you a hand

Doesn’t have a point of view
Knows not where he’s going to
Isn’t he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
You don’t know what you’re missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He’s a real Nowhere Man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

24 thoughts on “Song Lyric Sunday — Nowhere Man

1. Paula Light October 13, 2019 / 6:40 am

Great choice! I too have been struggling with repeats now. Must branch out…

2. newepicauthor October 13, 2019 / 7:33 am

Rubber Soul showed the Beatles maturing from their earlier pop performances, exploring different styles of songwriting and instrumentation, and pushing boundaries and I feel that this is where the Beatles started getting great.

3. msjadeli October 13, 2019 / 10:19 am

Excellent choice and a great song. I like the circular way it keeps coming back to the existential angst.

• Fandango October 13, 2019 / 11:10 pm

Thanks, Rory. I’ve got out-of-town guests this week, so I may not get to it until after they leave on Wednesday evening.

• aguycalledbloke October 14, 2019 / 2:12 am

Hey Fandango – panic not my friend – have a great next few days with your friends 🙂

4. ghostmmnc October 13, 2019 / 1:24 pm

I love this song. I hadn’t thought of it at all for today, so thanks for posting it, as it fits so well. 🙂

5. aisasami October 14, 2019 / 1:54 am

Loooooooooooove this song. Great album too!