Out-of-Pocket

Empty-Pocket_TopperFor most of my adult life I thought that the phrase “out-of-pocket” meant paying in cash, often without an expectation of reimbursement. As in, “I went to the bar and bought you guys a round and now I’m out-of-pocket fifty bucks.” It’s also how to describe a cash outlay for healthcare deductibles or copays that aren’t reimbursable from your health insurance provider. As in, “After I pay my deductible, my out-of-pocket costs will be a few hundred bucks.”

But when I spent a few years living and working in Dallas, Texas, I learned that it had a completely different meaning — in Texas, anyway. It meant being out of reach, especially while shirking one’s official duties. As in, “I’m going to be out-of-pocket for the next few days, so don’t bother calling or texting me.”

So why am I telling you this? Well, it’s because starting tomorrow, I’m going to be out-of-pocket for the next week. We are having out-of-town guests staying at our place and my wife and I will be playing unofficial San Francisco Bay Area tour guides. Thus, I will be running around hither and yon showing off to our guests all that this city and the surrounding areas have to offer, leaving me very little time to post, read, and respond to comments, or to read and comment on other bloggers’ posts.

The good news is that I have scheduled in advance my daily FOWC with Fandango one-word prompts. But the bad news is that I may miss other prompts that I normally post each week. And I will also likely miss responding to the word and photo prompts from other bloggers.

But I should no longer be out-of-pocket by next Thursday or Friday, unless you count the money I shelled out-of-pocket in my hosting duties. So, until then, keep the home fires burning for me.

27 thoughts on “Out-of-Pocket

• Fandango October 9, 2019 / 10:19 pm

I’ll try, but I have a feeling I’ll be glad when the week is over. Is that a terrible thing to say?

1. annieasksyou October 9, 2019 / 8:24 pm

Considering what you just experienced—and the reports of more to come—I hope you are able to lead your guests on a power-full tour of the city!

Enjoy!

2. Lakshmi Bhat October 9, 2019 / 9:16 pm

I am sure you will have a wonderful time. I learnt something new from your post. Thank you.

3. Don October 9, 2019 / 11:13 pm

Hopefully the rolling power outages will make their visit memorable.

4. Irene October 10, 2019 / 6:28 am

I will be “out of pocket” (“afuera del bolsillo” ?? LOL) in Mexico, as well. Have fun with your guests!

• Fandango October 10, 2019 / 2:22 pm

I’ll see if I can fit it in. What’s this coming Sunday’s theme.

• newepicauthor October 10, 2019 / 2:59 pm

Drifter/Loner/Vagabond and I am going with Moon River and Audrey Hepburn. I hope you enjoy your company.

• Fandango October 10, 2019 / 3:15 pm

Thanks. So far we’re enjoying them.

5. rugby843 October 10, 2019 / 9:28 am

We always use the latter description, but am glad to know you are a tour guide, just in case I have the privilege of visiting SF again. Enjoy!☺️

6. Melanie B Cee October 10, 2019 / 11:23 am

That means that next week’s FPQ is off the table? Aw. 😦 But enjoy your guests and the fun of showing them one of the world’s most remarkable cities (IMHO)…I’d have loved to live in San Francisco if I’d had more coin. We’ll leave the light on for you!

• Fandango October 10, 2019 / 2:28 pm

I kind of doubt I’ll have time for next weeks FPQ, but I’m not totally ruling it out yet. We’ll see if I can steal an hour or so to come up with something.

7. Jerry Brotherton October 10, 2019 / 6:15 pm

Have a great time my friend. I love showing off the things that I have seen a hundred times to someone new. It gives me a new perspective to something that I had taken for granted.