More Power To You

E1B1CA02-1374-41BA-821B-E20084E20806The lights and electricity went out in my house on my block in my neighborhood at around 8:00 tonight. The electric company originally estimated that the power would be restored by around 10:00 tonight. But when 10:00 came and went, I called customer service and was informed that the next update will be at around 4:00 a.m.

And wouldn’t you know it, I went to the grocery store today and did a big shop. I picked up some frozen pizzas and ice cream, which will probably be thawed by morning, not to mention milk, fruit, veggies, cold cuts, and other goodies that require refrigeration. They’ll certainly be warm — and possibly spoiled — by the time I wake up. Sheesh.

I do hope that the three posts I’ve scheduled to be published tonight — one at midnight, one at 3:00 a.m. and one at around 6:00 a.m. — will still be published, since they are in the hands of WordPress. But for now, I’m going to bed. No lights, no power, and my iPhone’s battery is down to 12% with no way to charge it back up.

Unfortunately, this is generally the time that I read all of the posts from those of you that I follow that I didn’t get a chance to read during the day. But with a dying iPhone and no way to charge it, I will not be getting around to reading many of your posts tonight.

I apologize for missing some of your posts and I probably won’t have time to go back and catch up on them tomorrow, assuming power has been restored. Let me know if I missed anything good, okay?

Anyway, that’s it for me. Over and out. Hopefully there will be power in the neighborhood tomorrow.

19 thoughts on “More Power To You

1. Marleen October 8, 2019 / 11:36 pm

That would be quite frustrating. Maybe they will get the power back sooner than all that.

2. Stroke Survivor UK October 8, 2019 / 11:57 pm

This happens here occasionally – I remember cooking Christmas dinner on the bbq one year because the lights went out the last Christmas. My soother is just to think of the CEO’s salary. I hope some of your food survived.

3. jenanita01 October 9, 2019 / 12:13 am

This used to happen a lot around here, and as we are all electric, it was annoying to put it mildly. We had to buy one of those camping stoves, just so we could make a cup of tea!

• Fandango October 9, 2019 / 8:07 am

Ugh. Power finally came back on sometime during the night. It was back when I woke up this morning.

4. newepicauthor October 9, 2019 / 7:39 am

There is no need to apologize to me as I went two days without making any posts or reading any. There was this black mold coming out of the vents and I hired these guys to clean them. My computer sits right under a vent, so it was partitioned off with plastic and out of commission for me. Good news, the mold is gone.

5. rugby843 October 9, 2019 / 9:40 am

Humbling, isn’t it? How far reaching was it? Maybe you could get a cooler and ice bags.

6. annieasksyou October 9, 2019 / 10:21 am

Sorry to hear that. We went through power failures a number of times (lots of old trees casting their dying limbs onto power lines) and finally invested in an outdoor generator that has remarkably solved the problem for our entire neighborhood. (!)

Since you’ve waded through some of my long and serious tomes, if you have the time, I invite you to visit my latest post, which is much shorter and lighter. (“Doggone It! Where’s My Doggie?”)

• Fandango October 9, 2019 / 8:23 pm

I just read it. We currently have a rescue dog (and a stray cat that adopted us). Our dog is, indeed grateful to us for rescuing her from a kill shelter. She’s a wonderful dog, but sadly, at almost 14, she’s struggling and we may be faced with a gut wrenching decision in the near future. Every time I think about it, tears fill my eyes.

• annieasksyou October 9, 2019 / 9:11 pm

I can certainly relate to that, having been through it several times. Just have to enjoy while you can and be honest with yourselves when you know it’s the right time. That’s the toughest part—not holding on longer than you know you should.

7. crushedcaramel October 9, 2019 / 10:25 am

Just eat all the ice-cream before it melts…

Invite all the neighbours over for an impromptu midnight BBQ and torch those pizzas.
    We had a midnight BBQ in the snow in Sweden….such fun!

8. annieasksyou October 9, 2019 / 12:45 pm

Fandango—

I just heard on NPR that CA. public utilities are doing this in a planned exercise to reduce the dangers of forest fires. I think there will be more, so you may not want to replenish your ice cream just yet.

• Fandango October 9, 2019 / 8:38 pm

Last night’s blackout was due to a downed wire a few blocks from where I live (so unscheduled), but yes, more power outages across the state will be scheduled as we enter fire season. I need to stock up on candles and flashlights or invest in a generator.

9. Marleen October 9, 2019 / 12:48 pm

Someone on the news — maybe a mayor — said it might be a good time to stop smoking.

10. Jerry Brotherton October 9, 2019 / 7:52 pm

Sorry about it all my friend. I hope they get the power back on for you. At least you are not on a CPAP or some medical equipment that requires power.

• Fandango October 9, 2019 / 10:21 pm

The power came back on when I was asleep last night, so other than having to reset all the clocks in my house, it wasn’t too bad. And no medical equipment issues…not yet, anyway.