Thursday Inspiration — The Desert

FDA6750E-5D99-413C-9EAA-9118C6143848I had a few days of vacation coming to me, so I decided to pack a pup tent and some food and water in my backpack and go for a multi-day hike in the desert.

There first part of the journey was breathtaking. I was looking at all the stunning desert life, the plants, birds, and rocks. There was so much sand and hills with rings, and the bluest, cloudless sky I’d ever seen.

It was very hot, hotter than I had expected. And very dry, too. After two days in the desert sun, my skin began to turn red and I knew I had to find some shade. I came across a river bed, but it was dry. It told the story of a river that flowed and it made me sad to think that this once living, flowing river was now dead.

On the third day I saw what appeared to be a lake. I had run out of water the night before, and I was parched from the desert sun. I hoped that it was an oasis and not a mirage. But by the time I got to where the lake should have been, I realized it was, indeed, a mirage.

By the fourth day in the desert I began to worry. I had no food or water left and there was no shade from the scorching sun. My skin was starting to blister and my tongue was beginning to swell. I didn’t even know what direction I had come from. I was lost and I thought this would be the end of me.

Then I heard the sound of motorized vehicles coming from over the ridge. I mustered all of the strength I had left to walk over to the ridge and as I got to the crest, I saw four guys on ATVs below me. I stood up and waved my arms and shouted.

One of them noticed me, pointing toward me. He rode his dune buggy to where I, close to losing consciousness, was waiting. He loaded me onto the back of his dune buggy and took me to a local hospital, where I was treated for exhaustion, dehydration, and severe sun poisoning.

I’m okay now, thanks to those guys on their ATVs. But I did learn a powerful lesson. The next time I have a few days of vacation to burn, I’m just going to Netflix and chill.

Written for Paula Light’s Thursday Inspiration prompt, where her theme is “desert.” My inspiration for this post came from Paula’s Happy Color image and from this song:

21 thoughts on “Thursday Inspiration — The Desert

1. slmret October 4, 2019 / 11:34 am

Well done — real description of a fictional story!

2. Marleen October 4, 2019 / 3:48 pm

Old hippies are sexy, like that music is. I needed that right now. I’ve been dealing (for hours) with a stupid company that wanted to cheat me. I won. Meanwhile, my oldest son was telling me my mother lied to me again yesterday [that part I inferred — he didn’t know I talked to her yesterday] and sent money to strangers in the Caribbean for no reason (not even that it’s a charity or religious contribution). She’s taken an extra loan on her car to send more money. She’s likely going to lose her car, then who knows what else. So much for the person who always looked down on people who didn’t have college degrees. All her degree did was make her arrogant and impervious to listening to anyone in her real life. Anyway…

I’m going to listen again.

I like the story. It reminded me of Hannah (on either amazon or netfix).

• Fandango October 4, 2019 / 10:28 pm

Why is she sending money to strangers in the Caribbean?

• Marleen October 5, 2019 / 5:02 am

The best we’ve been able to surmise is someone told her she won something but had to pay the taxes first (apparently to them) to get it. Yet she’s been doing this for like three years. She has sent them her profits from selling the condominium she lived in for a long time. Now that my dad died, she sent them hundreds of thousands of dollars of what he left her. Now she’s sending her monthly income.

She went to a psychologist (or something like that) a long, long, long time ago. Ever since, she’s been dismissive whenever anyone she knows well disagrees with her (or tries to talk sense). One of her favorite lines (delivered with a smirk) I remember from when I was a teen was “you might be right about that” (which meant who the hell cares what anyone, including you, has to say or thinks).

[Note: She is against cussing… and drinking. So she didn’t say or probably even think the word “hell” — she just made people miserable. She’s fine with affairs, by the way. While she lived in the condominium, she had several weird-ass relationships with married men. But she was able to do this in a manner that kept her looking like an upstanding citizen.]

• Fandango October 5, 2019 / 7:31 am

Good article. Are you thinking of Norman Vincent Peale, the author of “The Power of Positive Thinking”?

• Marleen October 5, 2019 / 7:55 am

Yes. She’s not (my mother, like most people, isn’t) high-profile enough to get “bailed out” by Russia or the Saudis or North Korea when she goes belly up. She didn’t start out as a millionaire to create the illusion of greatness such that they would see a utility in making her their bitch.

• Fandango October 5, 2019 / 7:28 am

“hundreds of thousands of dollars”! Whoa! Isn’t there something you can do to stop that. Declare her incompetent and have her assets frozen or something?

• Marleen October 5, 2019 / 7:31 am

I’ve spoken to lawyers. They say she can do what she wants.

• Fandango October 5, 2019 / 7:44 am

That’s your inheritance that she’s spending. There must be something that you can do. She’s being scammed.

• Marleen October 5, 2019 / 7:57 am

Yep. Not only that, she’ll want some to take care of her after she’s spat on everything my dad did.

• Marleen October 5, 2019 / 8:25 am

* someone (to take care of her)

• Marleen October 5, 2019 / 9:26 am

She asked my aunt (her twin sister) to lend her money recently (not the first time, and the aunt has needed to borrow money in her life from family). So my aunt called me, concerned. “Did you know you’re mother is in trouble? She asked me for money.”

I told her to say no.

“She’s so secretive. She won’t tell me anything.”

“I know,” I said. “{My oldest son} and I were there a couple weeks ago to help her but… she likes to keep her secrets.”

• slmret October 5, 2019 / 8:50 am

I would want to alert your mom’s bank — they are aware of such scams, and work to prevent the movement of money to them. Too, I would talk with an attorney who specializes in elder law, who may be able to give you some suggestions. This is a pervasive issue, and can cause the loss of all assets that the elderly use to sustain life.

• Marleen October 5, 2019 / 9:29 am

Yep.

My daughter-in-law (wife of my oldest son) is a manager at Target. When people come in and buy lots of gift cards at once, the team is alerted and begin to speak to the customer. Ultimately, they can’t stop them.