In Other Words — The Present

Cat licking its chops“I brought you a present, momma, and it’s delicious,” Cat said after entering the house through the open glass door that separates our family room from the backyard patio and dropping a not quite dead rat at my wife’s feet.

My wife screamed and dropped the cup of coffee she was holding, the cup smashing into dozens of ceramic pieces and shards upon hitting the hardwood floor, causing Cat to scramble away.

Upon hearing my wife’s scream and the crash of the coffee cup, I came running from the kitchen and saw my wife standing on a chair pointing to a large, not quite dead rat on the family room floor.

That’s when I saw Cat in the corner, preening himself and looking completely unconcerned about of anything having to do with the brouhaha.

I gave the cat a what did you do? look, at which point, Cat looked back at me, licked his lips, and said, “Who, me?”

In Other WordsWritten for the In Other Words prompt from Patricia’s Place. The challenge this week is to write a story or poem of five lines or fewer using the picture above and/or the word “delicious.” Photo credit: Monika Schmidt from Pixabay.

16 thoughts on “In Other Words — The Present

1. Carol Anne October 3, 2019 / 4:52 am

Ewwww! Ratsare icky! Would not like to have a cat since they always bring dead animals home!

2. Marleen October 3, 2019 / 9:21 am

Kitties.

Either keep’em indoors or keep’m outdoors.

3. cagedunn October 3, 2019 / 3:31 pm

At least it wasn’t a snake. My cat used to like dropping a live snake in the bath for me – while I was in it!

• Marleen October 3, 2019 / 4:05 pm

😳 In the bath is what would get me; snake or rat. (Ew — rat. Never, anywhere.)

• cagedunn October 3, 2019 / 4:07 pm

Maybe they do it for the reaction – better than reality TV; cat entertainment for when they (slaves) forget the best treats, perhaps?

4. Marilyn Armstrong October 4, 2019 / 5:24 pm

Cats have that “Who me?” attitude hones to perfection. Dogs always look guilty. Even when they aren’t.

5. leigha66 October 4, 2019 / 5:53 pm

He was just bringing you and your wife a special present… very thoughtful of him!

6. Patricia October 8, 2019 / 4:09 pm

Sounds like a true story from beginning to end. Cats like to show off and they never look guilty. Thanks for linking your story.