Civil War II?

I have been expressing concerns for some time about the potential for a new civil war breaking out in America should something happen to Donald Trump (e.g., impeachment, losing the 2020 election, or otherwise being removed from office). I think I may have first mentioned it in this post from December 28, 2017, in which I wrote, “Will our democracy survive or will it trigger a new American civil war?”

But now that an official impeachment inquiry in the U.S. House of Representatives has begun, and Trump is behaving like a cornered rat, which he is, the notion of a new American civil war is starting to sound more like a possibility than an improbability. Because you know that Trump is not going to go silently into the night.

On Fox News this weekend, evangelical pastor Robert Jeffress claimed that, “Democrats don’t care if they burn down and destroy the nation in the process” of impeachment, and mentioned that if Trump is removed from office, it will cause a “Civil War-like fracture….”

Trump then wrote, “I have never seen the Evangelical Christians more angry over any issue than this attempt to illegitimately remove this President from office, overturn the 2016 Election, and negate the votes of millions of Evangelicals in the process.”And then the Tweeter-in-Chief tweeted this:B936AEEB-810D-4567-83FF-348064A8F2B2An organization called the Oath Keepers, described as “one of the largest radical antigovernment groups in the U.S. today,” followed up Trump’s tweet with this:

0F3D40DE-8AF0-4870-A02C-54FECDBA7FC7A “full-blown ‘hot’ civil war.” Yikes.

Some other fringe Republicans have also been suggesting that a new civil war between Democrats and Republicans is on the horizon. Iowa Republican representative Steve King, for example, shared an image “joking” about the potential for a civil war between blue states and red states:F21F55A3-485C-4FBE-9728-17CCC3297C15When I first started mentioning a new civil war in my blog, I was being a bit flippant. But now, while I don’t want to take any credit for being incredibly prescient, we find ourselves dealing with a narcissistic mad man who is tweeting out fiery vapor fanning the flames of discontent and division.

So are we experiencing just a wrinkle in the fabric of time, or is America about to be torn apart? I’m afraid we are about to harvest the seeds that were sown when Trump was elected in November 2016?

Buckle up, America.

Written for these daily prompts: Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (flippant), The Daily Spur (dealing), Ragtag Daily Prompt (vapor), Word of the Day Challenge (wrinkle), and Your Daily Word Prompt (harvest).

37 thoughts on “Civil War II?

1. amoralegria October 1, 2019 / 3:34 pm

Sobering, indeed. I just attended a lecture today about Goebbels, the mastermind of Nazi propaganda. The talk began and ended with the quote, “Those who don’t remember history are bound to repeat it.” The lecturer remarked that it could be changed to “Those who IGNORE history…” I think he ended the talk repeating this in order to leave the audience with something to think about in light of current events. Propaganda is generally based on a big lie that is simple and repeated over and over. The problem is that Trump supporters listen to what they think is real news on Fox and right-wing websites. They are living in a parallel universe and I fear there is an abyss between us that cannot be bridged. Although I know the difference between truth and lies, there are many out there who say the same thing yet they have bought the lie. I think that is why people are talking about “civil war” although I hope it doesn’t come to that. I hope that the majority of Trump supporters finally wise up but there will probably still be a fringe that never believes the truth. These are the “kooks” who could be dangerous with their hordes of guns and zealous beliefs.

• Fandango October 1, 2019 / 9:18 pm

Unfortunately, I don’t hold out much hope for the fanatic Trump supporters to not turn violent should Trump be removed from office.

2. Clever Girl October 1, 2019 / 3:41 pm

No one can be accused of being flippant when it comes to the divisive atmosphere we find ourselves in, driven by propaganda from both sides, by the media, and by the war mongering, hate machines of many politicians.

I believe that is what this is: an attempt to cause further disruption, hatred and racial divides through propaganda, and quite possibly, start the threat of a civil war where there was none to begin with… IMHO.

• Fandango October 1, 2019 / 9:27 pm

“…an attempt to cause further disruption, hatred and racial divides through propaganda, and quite possibly, start the threat of a civil war where there was none to begin with…” You may be right.

• Marleen October 1, 2019 / 6:51 pm

A lot of people didn’t survive Hitler.

• Scotty’s Keep October 2, 2019 / 5:01 pm

Very true, Marleen. I hadn’t thought it through to that point. But I was thinking of our form of government.

• Scotty’s Keep October 2, 2019 / 5:06 pm

Garrison Keillor once stated that wisdom often accompanies age. But sometimes age travels alone. Those words have flown back in my face several times.

• Marleen October 2, 2019 / 8:41 pm

Garrison Keillor was pleasant to listen to.

3. Taswegian1957 October 1, 2019 / 5:05 pm

It is a frightening scenario and one that would have no winners. The damage from the last one has never really healed from what I can see. It is disgusting that so-called Christians would be making this kind of talk.

• Fandango October 1, 2019 / 9:35 pm

Yes, “so-called” Christians. But to them, Trump is the new Jesus, it seems.

4. BeckiesMentalMess.wordpress.com October 1, 2019 / 5:25 pm

Some scary shit… You are our Nostrodamus of the future Civil War II. 🤣
    Kidding aside… It is terribly frightening to see the Rock-em-Sock-em Robots of states because I can honestly see that taking place. Lord, help us!

5. anne leueen October 1, 2019 / 5:53 pm

As Bette Davis said in “All About Eve” :” Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a bumpy night!”

• Fandango October 1, 2019 / 9:39 pm

It already is a bumpy ride, and it’s going to get bumpier!

6. msjadeli October 1, 2019 / 6:46 pm

What despot in their right mind would encourage tearing our country apart?

7. amoralegria October 1, 2019 / 8:39 pm

Sobering, indeed. I attended a lecture today regarding Goebbels – the mastermind of propaganda for the Nazis. The lecturer started and ended his talk with the quote, “Those who don’t remember history are bound to repeat it.” He amended it the first time as “Those who IGNORE history…” Without mentioning anyone in our current government (due to mixed audience), I think he left us with something to think about. The most dangerous thing is that there is a significant percentage of Americans who are being fed the Big Lie via Fox or other right-wing media that they see as telling the truth. The majority sees the Big Lie for what it is, but how to get through to those on the other side? It’s as though we live in parallel universes with an abyss between us impossible to bridge. So when (I hope it’s ‘when,’ not ‘if’) Trump is impeached there will be considerable outrage by those who believe the Democrats are evil and there is some sort of grand conspiracy. I would hope that the majority of Trump supporters, once the evidence is laid out before them, will realize that Trump has lied to them, abused his power, and obstructed justice. But even if so, there will still be that zealous fringe with their cache of guns and their determination to root out those who are “unpatriotic.”

I’m not good at predicting what will happen in politics, but I feel an urgency to somehow get through to people that Trump is a corrupt narcissist who is definitely not patriotic because he cares only for himself. Each new outrage provokes a response, yet our freedoms are being eroded as we “get used to” Trump’s outrageous acts. That is exactly what the Nazis did and by the time people realized it, it had gone too far for them to fight back.

8. amoralegria October 1, 2019 / 8:41 pm

Sorry for basically repeating my former comment. When it didn’t show up, I thought I had done something wrong and it had disappeared, so I tried to recreate it.

• Fandango October 1, 2019 / 9:53 pm

No problem. Sometimes it takes a while for the comments to show up, even though I don’t moderate them. You went into a little more detail in this comment and that enhanced what you wrote the first time. Thanks.

9. annieasksyou October 2, 2019 / 4:17 am

I had a letter published in The New York Times before the election in which I was wrong about the outcome but expressed my fears that trump would not simply fade from view in defeat—that his ego would keep him continuing to rile his supporters at rallies, which would lead to no good end for our country.
    So I don’t take these concerns lightly.

I have read several articles theorizing that he might be persuaded to resign in exchange for immunity from prosecution for himself and his family. Though I’d love to see them all behind bars, if a precondition would be that he must stop his dangerous rhetoric under threat of negating such an agreement, that outcome might be best for our national peace.

I do think this means we should be looking for the presidential candidate who is most likely to have the strength and wisdom to calm our divided nation. Not sure yet who that might be.

• Fandango October 2, 2019 / 7:16 am

It’s going to take a lot to restore pride and unity in our country.

• annieasksyou October 2, 2019 / 11:52 am

Sure will. I can’t even imagine what must be going through these candidates’ minds concerning where to start and how to proceed.

10. amoralegria October 2, 2019 / 1:02 pm

Well-known people who criticize Trump are getting death threats. On FB, if you try to have a dialog about what is going on, angry right-wing people lash out with insults and swearing. If Trump is impeached and removed from office, or if he loses the election next year, what is this angry and confused minority going to do? Trump has convinced them there’s a conspiracy against him, he’ll say the election is rigged, and tells lies constantly. At the same time, he suggests violence against his perceived enemies: traitors should be executed, immigrants at the southern border should be shot in the legs “to slow them down”, etc. We may laugh, but there are a lot of ignorant people out there who take these comments seriously – the shooting in El Paso is an example of what these crazies may do.

• Fandango October 2, 2019 / 4:10 pm

That’s what I’m worried about. Trump’s well-armed lemmings who will do his bidding without giving it a second thought. He’s so dangerous, as are the Republicans in Congress who have enabled him. There will be blood.

11. Marleen October 2, 2019 / 8:45 pm

I heard these on Deep Tracks (SiriusXM) on the way to a concert tonight.

Tin Foil Hat — Todd Rundgren

Let’s Impeach the President — Neal Young

• Marleen October 3, 2019 / 2:34 pm

I’d heard the second one before. But I had no idea Rundgrenn and/or Fagen are making new music. (In fact, I later looked up what Todd had done in the first place as I couldn’t think of what his voice is like.) As I heard some of the words and then more of the words to the first one — while paying more attention to the road and surroundings — my ears tuned in more closely, and then I was pretty delighted with the collaboration.