Those Were the Days

I don’t know about you, but I hunger for the days when the President of the United States wasn’t a corrupt, lying ignoramus and wannabe dictator, whose only interest is enriching his family’s fortune and those of his ultra-wealthy cronies.

I am wistful for the days when our Commander-in-Chief had the capacity for honesty, integrity, and empathy and took seriously his role to honor the Constitution of the United States and to serve and protect the American people.5D1E844E-9B54-42BF-8B9A-2461E37EADC2Aren’t you?

Written for these daily prompts: Word of the Day Challenge (hunger), Ragtag Daily Prompt (corrupt), The Daily Spur (fortune), Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (wistful), and Your Daily Word Prompt (capacity).

25 thoughts on “Those Were the Days

1. projecttruecolors September 29, 2019 / 5:50 pm

We have never had integrity driven POTUS or government. Legislative as law enforcement corrupt pos dedicated line pockets with our wealth

• Fandango September 29, 2019 / 5:59 pm

It’s never been perfect, but under Trump, it is worse that it’s ever been…at least in my lifetime.

2. msjadeli September 29, 2019 / 6:12 pm

When was that, Fandango? I know you have Barack Obama’s picture up, but he was no saint. His #1 campaign contributor was Goldman-Sachs. He also sent many many of our soldiers to war. He also agreed to drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. He made special visit to Flint, MI in regards to the poisoned water that former Governor Snyder approved, then *pretended* to drink the water and said it was fine. I can find the video if you want proof. He is way more of a gentleman and extremely more intelligent than Cheeto, but he is no angel. I think the last genuinely good president we had was Jimmy Carter.

• Fandango September 29, 2019 / 7:05 pm

No politician is a saint. Everything is relatively and compared to Trump, Obama was so much better. Carter may have been a nice and pious guy, but, as POTUS, I thought he was ineffective.

• msjadeli September 29, 2019 / 7:29 pm

Ineffective is about the best you can hope for with a POTUS. It beats the usual ongoing malignant actions.

• Fandango September 29, 2019 / 7:41 pm

I hope for more than “ineffective.” I look for at least some degree of honesty, integrity, and empathy.

• Marleen September 29, 2019 / 8:37 pm

Carter did get a peace treaty between Israel and Egypt.

• Fandango September 29, 2019 / 9:33 pm

Right. And there’s been peace in the Middle East since then.

3. Paula Light September 29, 2019 / 6:21 pm

I agree with Jade, but I don’t like Carter either. Right now, all politicians make me sick. BUT STILL TRUMP IS THE WORST. Throw them all out and start over!

• Fandango September 29, 2019 / 7:13 pm

I feel the same way about Carter as you do. And as I told Li, Obama was far from perfect, but he was head and shoulders better than Trump.

4. joem18b September 29, 2019 / 10:29 pm

wrt the subject of your post, “wistful” seems a little low on the angst scale

• Fandango September 29, 2019 / 11:02 pm

That’s true. Maybe “long for” or “crave” would have worked better.

5. annieasksyou September 30, 2019 / 5:53 am

It’s true Obama wasn’t perfect, but his administration was scandal-free, he was a marvelous role model as husband and father, and he made tough decisions that saved us from another depression, opened the door to the health care for all we will eventually get, led the country with extraordinary empathy during the horrors of Sandy Hook and the Mother Emanuel
    shootings, moved forward on climate change, leading the Paris Accords, made us safer by getting Iran to sign a non-nuclear pact and killing Osama Ben Laden,
    and was a highly respected and beloved world leader. All this while he was under constant attack by the opposing party, whose leaders wouldn’t accept his invitations to the White House and robbed him of the Supreme Court justice he was Constitutionally entitled to appoint. And oh yes, he and Michelle opened the White House to artists of all types. He had grace, humor, intellect, and integrity.

I have difficulty understanding unfavorably comparing him to Carter, who is a nice honest man but a failed President. And trump’s tearing down everything Obama accomplished just shows how much he accomplished.

6. rugby843 September 30, 2019 / 8:39 am

Yes, no pun intended, but the two people are like black and white! I think Trump’s main reason for blaming and referring to Obama constantly is jealousy and knowing he could never even begin to be the man Obama is, or the President he was.

7. The Real Cie (@therealcie) September 30, 2019 / 4:06 pm

My friend, you and I share this hunger. Admissibly, at this point, my expectations are greatly lowered and any vaguely functioning adult would do. Hell, any vaguely functioning stray dog or foaming at the mouth rabid baboon would do in comparison to the follies of Agent Orange and company.

• Fandango September 30, 2019 / 9:55 pm

Hopefully the Dems will pick someone to run against Trump who is not a stray dog nor a rabid baboon. But I get your point! 😉

8. Copy Chick October 1, 2019 / 9:46 am

Damn straight. I find it extraordinarily sad that we even HAVE to opine past leaders as welcome comparisons than the dangerous dolt in the WH but there it is. At this point, almost anyone would be a welcome change but Obama most of all who always comported himself with grace, intelligence, kindness and never (why does this sound almost mythical now) evoked scandals of any kind. He will always be missed, especially since the Pandora’s box this president opened will not be soon closed when he leaves.