Attention WordPress Bloggers

8AC25EE7-C442-4968-B53E-8F125BFE30BFWe’re rich! That’s right, we just got $300 million! Automattic, the parent company of WordPress, scored a $300 million investment from Salesforce Ventures, marking one of the single largest investments to date by the software giant’s venture arm.

As a result of the infusion of funds, San Francisco-based Automattic, which owns WordPress.com and is in a deal expected to close in the next few days to buy Tumblr — did you know that WordPress bought Tumbler? I didn’t — saw its valuation soar to $3 billion.

According to TechCrunch.com, WordPress now hosts 34% of the world’s top 10 million websites. I’d imagine that that percentage is likely to grow with all that new cash.

I wonder if any of that money will be used to address the glitches and quirks of Automattic’s flagship product. Ha! Don’t hold your breath, fellow bloggers.

By the way, that very happy looking guy in the photo at the top of this post is Matt Mullenweg, CEO of Automattic. I’d call that a $300 million dollar smile on his face.

19 thoughts on “Attention WordPress Bloggers

1. Marleen September 20, 2019 / 9:50 am

Yep; what a smile. 😀

• Marleen September 20, 2019 / 9:51 am

Interesting piece of news, Fandango. Thanks!

2. annieasksyou September 20, 2019 / 10:30 am

In the interests of combatting income inequality, I suggest that the man with the $300 million smile shares some of his largesse with those of us toiling in in his vineyards—often under suboptimal technical conditions.😉

• Fandango September 20, 2019 / 6:23 pm

I have a feeling that the $300 million will be used for more commercial purposes. 😔

3. Marleen September 20, 2019 / 12:11 pm

🥰 I appreciate ye all who toil.

4. newepicauthor September 20, 2019 / 3:27 pm

I don’t mind paying for a site without advertisements, but my site has several problems that never get addressed.

• Fandango September 20, 2019 / 7:11 pm

You mean my post in response to your Music Challenge post.

• newepicauthor September 21, 2019 / 7:09 am

Yes it is listed as your next article and I found it on the MM site, but I thought I was getting all of your posts in my Reader and now I am wondering how much I have missed. Clearly WordPress has a lot of issues that it needs to work on.

5. Taswegian1957 September 20, 2019 / 5:34 pm

Well good for him but yes, it would be nice if some of that money was spent making WordPress more user-friendly again. Not holding my breath for that though.

6. Marilyn Armstrong September 20, 2019 / 6:26 pm

All things considered, there are so many terrible things going on, this doesn’t even make it only my top ten terrible list!

7. leigha66 September 22, 2019 / 11:25 am

Interesting… maybe they could give loyal bloggers a break in memberships?