Share Your World — I Hear You, But Am I Listening?

Share Your WorldThis week, Melanie is stealing borrowing questions posed by other bloggers for her Share Your World prompt.

Are we losing the art of listening in comparison to simply hearing?

F80CF77A-297B-4312-A206-4C9F1E5C1745I’m sorry, I didn’t hear your question. Either that or I wasn’t listening. I do remember something my debate teacher told me in high school. He said “Listen for understanding, not for rebuttal.” This has nothing to do with the question, but I like the message. Do you hear me? Are you listening?

How often do you openly discuss with friends or here in WP with your readership topics that make you feel uncomfortable or may be taboo or stigma laden?

I don’t shy away from discussing controversial topics, either in real life or on WordPress. As to taboo and/or stigma laden, well, I’m not sure how to draw the line between controversial and taboo/stigma-laden.

Do you think that these discussions should be freely discussed and written about more?

I think discussions of controversial topics such as religion and politics should be encouraged. As to taboo or stigma-laden subjects, until I know what that really means, I can’t really answer this question.

Did you have a nickname as a child and if so, what was [or what is it now]?

I was tall and skinny as a kid, and my best friend’s father used to call me “string bean” and “scarecrow.” I’m no longer exceptionally tall nor am I skinny.

Why is there still ‘stuff’ we simply just don’t understand despite our progressive world?

There will always be “stuff” that we don’t fully understand. That’s why we invented gods.

Would you rather double your height or lose half your weight?

So would I rather be almost 12 feet tall or weigh 85 pounds? Seriously?

What is your most essential kitchen tool?

My coffee maker.

Who is one blogger you really admire and why?

I admire a lot of bloggers, so it’s difficult (and unnecessary) for me to try to pick just one. Sorry, Melanie.

25 thoughts on “Share Your World — I Hear You, But Am I Listening?

1. Scherezade Ozwulo September 16, 2019 / 11:26 am

Loved your answer to the question about “stuff”. Creating gods to provide reason for the many questions we desire an answer. Have you read or watched Neil Gaiman’s American Gods?

2. Stroke Survivor UK September 16, 2019 / 11:51 am

On topics for discussion, I usually avoid a few subjects. Basically, subjects where we all have a deeply-held view, nothing I say will change your’s, nothing you say will change mine. The only result of a discussion is to get further entrenched, so I don’t see the point. Abortion is a good example, religion another. And, in the UK, Brexit.

• Fandango September 16, 2019 / 1:56 pm

I have never hesitated to post my views on abortion or religion, although I know I’m unlikely to change any minds. As to Brexit, well, I think it’s another nationalistic fiasco and no doubt Putin is really enjoying the chaos he has promoted in the western world.

• Stroke Survivor UK September 16, 2019 / 2:11 pm

Hahaha, publish and be damned!

Actually, there were several reasons for Brexit, though you’re right that one of them was nationalism. Obviously, I know Brexit better, but the inequalities in the EU are quite similar to the inequalities in your Electoral College. People who voted to remain did so largely despite these inequalities, mainly financial reasons. But still, a subject where people haven’t changed their minds – they’ve (we’ve) just seen more and more evidence to support our view,

Here, Putin isn’t overly relevant, though I know he’s not liked over there. He’s another right-wing tyrant, but not really any worse than all the other right-wing tyrants.

• Marleen September 16, 2019 / 8:04 pm

You’re part of NATO, and Putin doesn’t like NATO or want it to succeed and be strong.

Nevertheless, I understand your point about unequal representation in the EU.

• Fandango September 17, 2019 / 3:15 am

You should. He wants to destroy what is left of western “democracies” and is doing everything he can, mostly covertly, to bring them down. It’s not just the U.S. he’s after.

• Stroke Survivor UK September 17, 2019 / 9:58 am

Yeah but we used to hear the same about someone like Robert Mugabe. I hear though that he is being genuinely mourned in Africa, so I think the media puts a spin on things. Your’s doesn’t like Putin. Same goes for Iran.

I ask myself which is worse – a society run by somebody like Putin, or one that forces many of its citizens to rely on food banks?

• Marleen September 18, 2019 / 12:26 pm

It’s a good question, but are Russians on the whole more prosperous or comfortable? Or less on the streets or hungry?

3. Melanie B Cee September 16, 2019 / 12:58 pm

No worries Fandango…the last question was for recognizing those who might not accept ‘awards’ or ‘gifts’ but whom you enjoy a lot. No question is mandatory on any of these, you know. Answer some, answer all or none if the vibe doesn’t move you. Have a great week dude! And thanks so much for Sharing Your World! 😀

4. Marilyn Armstrong September 16, 2019 / 7:21 pm

The last time I weighed 80 pounds, they put me in the hospital and rebuilt my digestive tract.

5. Marilyn Armstrong September 16, 2019 / 7:25 pm

I should mention we avoid subjects we think will be embarrassing to someone. Politics? Sure. Climate change? If all the talk could fix it, we’d be home free. There are things I feel are too personal and I avoid them. Garry is more open about his life than I am about mine, but that’s just who we are — at least when we are writing. When we talk, it’s the opposite.

• Marleen September 18, 2019 / 12:21 pm

John and Garry are a beautiful couple.

Incidentally, I like “The Orville” too.

• Marleen September 18, 2019 / 12:24 pm

Born in the world did spellchecker make “You” “John”?
        Well, it just now made “How” “Born” — nonsensical.

6. leigha66 September 17, 2019 / 10:11 am

Good answers Fandango! I especially agree with you on the kitchen tool!

7. annieasksyou September 18, 2019 / 5:16 am

Your answers were interesting, and so were your respondents’. I am always seeking common ground, and I never give up on the idea that we all have similarities deep down. So with equal parts optimism and naïveté, I often write about topics like politics, climate change, economic inequality, and race relations. I don’t know if the discussions have changed any minds, but I have made some good virtual friends whose politics are diametrically opposed to mine who have thanked me for providing a place where civil dialogue takes place—and who sometimes surprise me with responses that show we’ve made some headway.

• Fandango September 18, 2019 / 7:34 am

Making headway in getting people to see things from a different perspective…even ever so slightly…is a good thing.

• annieasksyou September 18, 2019 / 8:01 am

Indeed. In an ongoing discussion of my recent post on “My Presidential Nominee Wish List,” a self-described “member of the opposition”gave what I thought was an insightful overview.

And when he said “I am reasonably comfortable with Klobuchar,” I told him I’d like to make a bumper sticker that reads “My clever conservative friend says he’s…” and drive around with it to all my progressive friends who want to win first and foremost!

• Fandango September 18, 2019 / 11:54 am

Unfortunately, I don’t think Amy is going to make it to the finals.

• annieasksyou September 18, 2019 / 3:00 pm

Much of me agrees with you, but I keep hoping…I just heard her interviewed on NPR, and she was terrific. Among other things, she spoke of having taken on the NRA in her strong hunting state. She’s doing a very smart thing: touring the must-win states and getting some good press coverage nationally. She’s much more impressive in these interviews than on the debates.

• Fandango September 18, 2019 / 3:11 pm

I do like her, but I would be surprised if she can crack the top five.