Who Won The Week? 9/15/19

10CC3057-4EEA-4C80-B8C1-700C0FC6C906It’s time for another Who Won the Week prompt. The idea behind Who Won the Week is for you to select who you think “won” this past week. Your selection can be anyone or anything — politicians, celebrities, athletes, authors, bloggers, your friends or family members, books, movies, TV shows, businesses, organizations, whatever.

I will be posting this prompt on Sunday mornings (my time). If you want to participate, write your own post designating who you think won the week and why you think they deserve your nod. Then link back to this post and tag you post with FWWTW.

My selection for this week is the former Democratic congressman from El Paso, Texas and current presidential hopeful, Beto O’Rourke.501761AC-09F7-487C-B566-DA29159900A3.jpegAt the Democratic debate this past Thursday night, when asked, “Are you proposing taking away their guns, and how would this work?”

“I am. If it’s a weapon that was designed to kill people on a battlefield — if the high-impact, high-velocity round, when it hits your body, shreds everything inside of your body, because it was designed to do that.”

When asked the following day if he really would ban these weapons, O’Rourke reiterated his support for a mandatory gun-buyback program of assault-style rifles on Thursday and said, “Hell, yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47. We’re not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore.”

Now before you all pillory me for being anti-American and opposed to the Second Amendment, let me make one thing clear. I am not opposed to people owning and keeping guns. When it comes to sport hunting and for protecting one’s home and possessions, owning a shotgun or a hunting rifle or a handgun is okay by me.

But I am opposed to permitting everyday citizens to possess, as O’Rourke called them, weapons designed to kill people on a battlefield. That is military style, semiautomatic, high capacity assault rifles.

There is only one purpose for such weapons and that is to inflict as much carnage as possible in the shortest amount of time. And I see no reason that our citizenry should be permitted to be armed with such weapons. It’s overkill, pun intended.

So, yes, Beto O’Rourke won the week for having the balls to say out loud what the majority of Americans think. Get those killing machines off of our streets so that kids will feel safe at school again. So that people can go to malls, to movies, and to their houses of worship and not worry that some nut job legally armed to the teeth will walk through the door and start firing away.

And now it’s your turn, folks. Who do you think won the week?

24 thoughts on “Who Won The Week? 9/15/19

1. Melanie B Cee September 15, 2019 / 9:00 am

She’s not a politician, famous nor in the public eye except in a certain way. I nominate Marilyn Armstrong of Serendipity. Because of this excellent post she wrote about those politicians who hope to play on the field this coming election year.

Now in an odd way, this post nominates YOU too, because she wrote that in response to one of your challenges.

You guys are the best! Keeping dumb-a**es like myself informed… 🙂

• Fandango September 15, 2019 / 10:12 am

Marilyn’s post was great, wasn’t it. She deserves your Who Won the Week nod.

2. Paula Light September 15, 2019 / 9:45 am

I vote for Beto, though he’ll lose because of that statement since Americans are so gun crazy. It’s just insane how so many believe that normal untrained citizens should have weapons of mass killing to use against their fellow Americans. Absolutely nuts!

3. anne leueen September 15, 2019 / 9:55 am

I second the vote for Beto. I don’t have a vote in the US but I am with him on the subject of those types of weapons. And lets face it…..as the news from the Kindgom of Saud this weekend showed, there are no more battlefields with humans using guns, Now the war is fought with drones.

4. Stroke Survivor UK September 15, 2019 / 10:00 am

But did he actually say how it’d work?

A lot of people over here say “what a bad thing”, every time something happens, but there aren’t many ideas on how you stop it from happening. I mean, it’s more important for the US to be having that debate, than it is the UK, but did he share any ideas?

• Fandango September 15, 2019 / 10:38 am

He talked about a mandatory buy back program and making it illegal for civilians to own and carry such weapons. Unfortunately, he won’t be the nominee and such a program won’t fly in this country.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 15, 2019 / 10:43 am

And frankly, there are a few other issues on the table. We can take away EVERY gun and it won’t take care of making the planet livable. Or make education better. We move the giant corporations out of our way. Or make health care more available. That’s important, but it isn’t even in my top 20. I want breathable air and clean water and glaciers FIRST AND FOREMOST.

• Fandango September 15, 2019 / 11:30 am

I agree. There are a lot of issues that need to be addressed, and gun control is just one.

5. Marilyn Armstrong September 15, 2019 / 10:40 am

By the way, one nice banger of a statement doesn’t ‘WIN’ anything. He showed courage. Nice. But he didn’t show any of the other stuff — like the ability to win to the election. Without that, it’s just a “good line.”

• Fandango September 15, 2019 / 11:17 am

True. I think he won the week, but is unlikely, in my opinion, to win the nomination. Or the election should be somehow be nominated. I’m with Warren right now.

6. Marleen September 15, 2019 / 1:10 pm

I wonder which ten people won (or will win) Yang’s surprising offer.