Friday Fictioneers — Cheaters

5A68390E-D63A-4A18-88C0-68C13E9D09C3I was always nearsighted, which required me to wear glasses so that I could see distant things clearly. But as I aged, I found I was having trouble reading things like books and newspapers. My eyes just couldn’t focus.

I went to see my ophthalmologist and he said I needed bifocals. That would enable me to see things both far away and close up.

But bifocals? Fuhgeddaboudit. Bifocals are for old people. So I went to see my pharmacist buddy, Doctor Marx, at the Highgate Pharmacy, and he fixed me up with a pair of “cheaters” for just twenty bucks.

(100 words)

Written for this week’s Friday Fictioneers prompt from Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. Photo credit: CEAyr.

“Cheaters,” by the way, is a colloquialism for reading glasses in my neck of the woods. Also, for what it’s worth, the tomb of Karl Marx is located at the Highgate Cemetery in London. But I chose to ignore that piece of evidence sticking to a page in the book for this piece.

18 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers — Cheaters

1. Willow September 13, 2019 / 8:25 am

I wish I could get away with cheaters. Ha! But alas and alack I need glasses to drive and now they want me to have progressive lenses. Talk about “for old folk.” Oh well, age comes to us all I suppose. No use fighting it.

• Marilyn Armstrong September 13, 2019 / 10:25 am

I think my eyes were worst when I was hitting 40 and have been getting better ever since. Near-sighted people generally have improved vision as they age. Not far-sighted people, though.

• Fandango September 13, 2019 / 4:59 pm

I’m near sighted and, unfortunately, my distant vision hasn’t improved with age, although it hasn’t gotten worse, either.

2. annieasksyou September 13, 2019 / 8:56 am

Here’s some good news for nearsighted people. I precociously developed cataracts a few years ago, and as I had long worn contact lenses with monovision—my dominant left eye fitted for distance; my right eye for close reading—my implanted lenses were similarly fitted. Voila: the brain, in its flexible wonder, fuses the images so that I see clearly for both (though I do wear glasses for driving at night.)

Anyone facing cataract surgery may want to ask if they’d be a candidate for monovision beforehand. Not everyone is.

• Fandango September 13, 2019 / 12:44 pm

My wife wears contacts like that — one lens for distance and one for close reading. But her glasses are “progressives,” essentially bifocals with no line.

3. Marilyn Armstrong September 13, 2019 / 10:23 am

I’m now at the point where I can see pretty well without glasses and what were my computer glasses are now strong enough for everything including reading the crawl on the TV and driving. I suppose there’s got to be ONE thing that gets better with age!

4. Lisa Coleman September 14, 2019 / 7:16 am

Sucks getting older. I just saw a neurophamologist because I have migraines. My eyes are great, he said dry. I started eye gel drops he suggested & now I’m seeing better up close without my glasses & readers. I spent $65 to find that out. I wear my glasses for distance only.

5. Iain Kelly September 14, 2019 / 1:57 pm

Better to just accept your body is getting older and needs a bit of help, there’s no advantage in pretending otherwise!

6. leigha66 September 14, 2019 / 4:31 pm

I dread bifocals are coming. I have this one distance that glasses (for distance) or no glasses doesn’t help me see it. Have to save a little money before I do that though.

7. Abhijit Ray September 14, 2019 / 11:38 pm

You are ageing but you won’t admit. With cheaters you cannot see. What does Dr. Marx know? He is probably dead and gone.