Random Facts About Me That You Never Wanted To Know

DCB8634D-2A00-4D89-9605-9B3BC9DBFEEDBarbara, over at Teleportingweena, came across some fun questions to answer that she saw people doing on Facebook. She posted them on her blog and said that the idea is to answer 23 random questions that would reveal facts about yourself “that may surprise your friends.” Then she said, “Maybe you’d enjoy answering them, too.”

Challenge accepted, Barbara. I don’t know if any of this will actually surprise anyone because I’m an open book. But I’ll let you readers be the judge.

1. Do you make your bed every morning?

No. My wife does.

2. What was your first car?

1961 Corvair Monza that my parents gave me when they bought a new car in 1965.

3. What two grocery items do you never run out of?

Coffee and bananas for my morning cereal. Just to be clear, the bananas are for my morning cereal, not the coffee. I have my coffee separately BEFORE I make my bowl of cereal. I do not put coffee IN my morning cereal.

4. At what age did you start doing your laundry?

I suppose it must have been when I was 18 and went off to college.

5. If you could, would you go back to high school?

NFW!

6. Can you parallel park in under three moves?

Give or take

7. A job you had which people would be shocked to know you once had?

I was a soda jerk at an ice cream parlor.

8. Do you think aliens are real?

I think there is intelligent life elsewhere in the universe. These days, though, I’m wondering if there is still intelligent life on Earth.

9. Can you drive a stick shift?

Most of my cars, up until recently, were stick shifts (i.e., had manual transmissions).

10. Guilty TV pleasure?

“The Voice,” the only “reality” TV show I watch.

11. Tattoos?

Not a one. No piercings, either.

12. If the world ends do you want to be one of survivors?

If the world ends, there would be no survivors. Duh!

13. Sweet or salty?

Salty and spicy.

14. Do you enjoy soaking in a nice hot bath?

I’m strictly a shower guy.

15. Do you consider yourself a strong person?

Physically, not really. But emotionally and mentally, you betcha.

16. Something people do that drives you nuts?

Supporting Donald Trump no matter what crazy, insane things he says or does.

17. Do you have any birthmarks?

I have a few small moles on my back.

18. Favorite childhood game?

Sports: baseball; board game: Risk; card game: Spades

19. Do you talk to yourself?

Only when no one else will talk to me.

20. Do you like doing jigsaw puzzles?

I prefer crossword puzzles.

21. Tea or coffee?

Coffee. Tea is what you drink when you’re feeling sick.

22. First thing you remember wanting to be when you grew up?

A radio sportscaster.

23. Favorite game now?

Sports: still baseball; card game: Hearts;  board game: Yahtzee (well, it’s technically not a board game per se, but you play it on a table and there is a scorecard); electronic game: Solitaire on my iPhone.8688A30A-13C0-42D0-9245-3B0112686238

Okay, your turn.

34 thoughts on “Random Facts About Me That You Never Wanted To Know

1. paeansunplugged September 12, 2019 / 3:33 am

Good you explained about not putting coffee in cereal, I would have thought otherwise!!

2. crushedcaramel September 12, 2019 / 4:49 am

Oh I have often wondered what age you started doing your own laundry and whether you made you make your bed in the morning – every time I see one of your posts, I keep meaning to ask.

• Fandango September 12, 2019 / 8:45 am

And now your curiosity has been satisfied. You’re welcome! 😉

• Marleen September 12, 2019 / 10:13 am

If you’re sick. Yep. I wonder how this got started as an American thing in general. For me, it’s a cozy memory of a bit of care on sick days off school.

My grandma on my mom’s side was English in heritage, though. She had moved from Virginia to St, Louis, where she met my grandfather… whose heritage was of Scotland (but he had moved from Illinois and drank coffee). We drank a lot of iced tea in the summer months.

Actually, my parents had a canister set — for flour, sugar, coffee and tea — and the coffee one was empty while my mom did sometimes drink hot tea just because she felt like it from time to time, not daily… not at breakfast pretty much ever.

The traditional tea canister is small, however. So, people who drink a lot of iced tea keep their tea for that elsewhwere. And it’s usually bags… not always.

These days, there are as many people or more who drink “herbal” tea rather than black tea. I like some herbal teas sometimes, but I am a fan of black tea more.

• Taswegian1957 September 12, 2019 / 4:50 pm

My tea is mostly tea bags these days and I am about 50/50 tea and coffee but I’m from a tea drinking British family and own a “tea caddy” for loose tea. I have never had iced tea however.

• Fandango September 12, 2019 / 9:50 pm

Iced tea is about the only kind of tea I’ll drink. Coffee (and an occasional hot cocoa) are the only hot beverages I drink.

3. Tien Skye September 12, 2019 / 7:15 am

Who puts coffee in cereal? LOL. And kudos to your answer for Question 8! 🙂

4. ghostmmnc September 12, 2019 / 9:22 am

Thanks so much for the mention, and for answering the questions! I enjoyed reading your fun facts, and # 8 is right on the money! haha!
    Being a soda jerk sounds like a fun job. Hope you got to have free treats!
    I drink tea all the time – but just iced. 🙂

• Fandango September 12, 2019 / 10:16 am

Whenever I was sick as a kid, my mother would give me a cup of tea with a teaspoon of honey in it. To this day, tea reminds me of being ill.

5. Marleen September 12, 2019 / 10:39 am

Pretty much don’t run out of coffee pods. I like caffeine, most preferably in coffee form. (But iced tea out at lunch is good.) I can’t think of anything else I don’t run out of except maybe mustard… because an extra is occasionally bought, or left by someone.

I’ve been using a Keurig machine lately instead of the espresso maker. Although there are environmentally-conscious options, there remains a plastic ring. I think I’m talking myself back into going the other route (nothing to dispose of but grounds).

Now that fall is approaching, I’ve been thinking of a visit to Teavana.

• Marleen September 12, 2019 / 4:21 pm

Teavana closed their stores and website.

No worries. Good Life Tea is here for you. We offer super premium teas and awesome customer service and at a fraction of Teavana prices. Basically your money will go twice as far when you purchase from us. We have selected a few loose leaf teas from our extensive selection that you will find are great substitutes for the ones Teavana used to offer. Our Amber Sugar is a great replacement because it is similar to Teavana’s. ….

So go ahead and replace your Teavana Teas with our loose leaf teas.

• Marleen September 12, 2019 / 11:02 am

I wonder about brain surgeons. Benjamin Carson, you know?

6. Marleen September 12, 2019 / 10:59 am

I am a little bit proud of my ability to parallel park… and that when I taught each of my sons they were like, “Oh, that was easy!”

I can drive and have driven a stick, but I don’t want to do so.

7. Melanie B Cee September 12, 2019 / 11:13 am

Some how I missed a slew of posts yesterday….and yours were among the missing. 😐 Yay for WordPress and their continued idiocy of operation. Still, it’s better than some I suppose. Anyway, watch for a ping-back, coming to your blog SOON! These questions look fun!

8. Marleen September 12, 2019 / 11:22 am

The guiltiest “tv pleasure” I ever watched on a regular basis I can’t remember the name of, but it was a dating show. It felt all the guiltier when I figured out the host was Jerry Springer (I never watched the Jerry Springer show or anything else he did).

9. Willow September 12, 2019 / 11:57 am

I have the same thoughts about the world ending… and coffee in my cereal (I don’t do it).

10. Marilyn Armstrong September 12, 2019 / 8:37 pm

You stole my line 😀

I also was VERY glad you don’t put your cereal or banana in your coffee. My mother actually did make coffee milk and she DID put cereal in it. Turned me off coffee for years.

• Fandango September 12, 2019 / 9:53 pm

🤢 When I was a kid there was a carbonated, coffee-flavored beverage called “Coffee Time” that my mother would let me drink. She’d mix it 50/50 with milk. Sounds terrible, but I liked it.